Close

Default Hatch speaker boxes.

Starting to design a box for my 83 capri to hold 2 tens. Instead of reinventing the wheel I thought I would see what everyone is running, so pics please of your hatch speaker boxes. Thanks.

Here is mine, I have a 12" JL Sub in the old spare tire hole. Instead of reinventing the wheel I just replaced it LOL! I custom made the box using the correct airspace for maximum bass.

Robert
    Last edited by Hemlock; 05-13-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Robert what did you do to prep the well? Is it simply a 12" mounted on a board? Any Dynomat or anything or a custom enclosure? I keep reading about the volume math around subs but I really don't know how important it all is
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT
    84 Mustang Predator GT302H 4S-119

The volume math is just as important for the enclosure as powering the sub with the right amount of power and the correct frequencies. Most modern head units have crossovers built in so you can taylor what frequencies go to what speakers....or a modern amp will most likely have a low pass (sub) crossover built in.

If you have the skills to do what Hemlock did, then go for it....that is slick as hell! Otherwise a good 10" tube-style sub and enclosure would do well in the hatch area. The other good thing about buying a loaded enclosure is the mfr has already done the optimum volume math for you.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

You need to pick your sub according to what airspace and room you have available. The JL 12" sub I used required just about the right amount of airspace I had available in the spare well. I basically covered the entire floor of the hatch area and the well with Dynamat extreme to keep the rattle and buzz down and made a box that had the correct airspace for my subwoofer. The "box" wasn't a box at all, it was just a little bigger in size then a spare tire and a bit taller. The carpet where the speaker was sat just a little taller then the rest of the carpet area but not too noticeable.

This is not a beginner box, I use to do custom stereos for a friend's stereo store back in the day so I have made a ton of custom boxes. Unfortunately with the Nitrous bottle and amp mounted I cannot lift the carpet to take a pic to show you what it looks like underneath.

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Thats cool! I did stereo work in HS with some buddies around 1989. One day we built a custom box that fit into the rear "trunk-well" of a late 80's Iroc Z. We thought we were cool and creating something no one else would think of. Then came a Crutchfield catalog with....you guessed it, a custom molded sub enclosure for the Camaro and Trans Am
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

FEP Senior Member

You don't need to build a box for the spare tire well. Just add your Dynamat to the well and cut some 3/4" particle board to fit inside and flush with the floor pan, and use some type of seam seal to glue the board in place. Make the spare tire well the box. That's how my friend did it to my 94' with two twelves. Killer bass!

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

For mine, I took the easy way out. I grabbed a carpet underlayment pad from my '89 Mustang LX (standard factory pad that Ford used in all the aero Mustangs) and I traced it onto a piece of 5/8" thick plywood. I then used my jigsaw to cut it out so that it was the same shape as the pad, which is also the same shape as the rear floor area (I cut it about a 1/4" smaller all the way around so that I would be able to move it to the side and take it out if I needed to). I then centered the subwoofer in the center of the spare tire hole and cut that out. Once I had the board finished, I glued the underlayment pad to the bottom of the plywood so that there wasn't any chance of vibrations and cut the center out of it to mimic the opening for the subwoofer. From there, I lined the floor of the spare tire well with some more padding so that there wasn't any chance of the subwoofer contacting the metal floor. I ran my wiring, reinstalled the board with the underlayment attached to it. laid the carpet back down, cut it out, and installed the subwoofer. I tell ya, when the radio stations are playing, I have to turn the subwoofer down to 1 or 2 because anything more than that and it's too much. With my Blu-Tooth music coming from my phone, I adjust it up to 5 or 6 and it's plenty. For what it's worth, I can adjust it from -15 to +15 to give you an idea of how my numbers work.Name:  Stereo XI.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  75.9 KB
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Put a single high end kicker 12" sub in a box that is 15% under the median of the recommended space for the sub. Make the box as thin as possible. Poly fill the hell out of the box and shove the woofer in. Put up the back seats and put it right behind the seat pointed to the rear. Yes - rear fire it. Bass is loudest at its first repeat.

pick up an old school Kicker DX350 off eBay.

No tricks or special anything required.

This setup will straight blow you the hell out of the car when cranked. A tuned mic measured mine at over 125dB at 48 Hz.

throw in some Jukebox hero and actually hear it for the first time. Then some money for nothing.

And it sounds GREAT at low volumes listening to whatever you like. Thank me later.