Close

80sixgt

Default How can i tell if i have a tremec trans?

Does anyone know how to tell a tremec trans from a stock one just by looking at it?

Blog Entries

Here's something that gets confused a LOT lately. Tremec now makes the T-5. Yep, the regular old glassjaw T-5 is now, technically a "Tremec." And it's causing quite a few mixups.

When someone in the Fox performance arena says Tremec, he's generally referring to a 3550 or TKO. Both transmissions are MUCH bigger and MUCH heavier than a regular T-5 and require a different bellhousing and shifter.

T5:

Tremec:

80sixgt

its been in the car for quite some time. . . i bought it off of a friend that set it up for road racing. I am pretty sure that it is not a t-5 because the shifts feel real solid but not really what I would consider t-5 smooth. I got a really good deal on the car, so I pretty much bought it without looking much into it. I bought it off of a friend, who has much disposable income, but sometimes stretches the truth. This is why I am wondering if it is really a tremec or not.

Hooptie

one easy way is that the Tremecs have the removable sevice plates.

gtluke

lift up the shifter boot, and see if the shifter has 4 bolts or 6
    6 is a tremec

80sixgt

Thanks for the help guys - it does have the six bolts and it is also semi-round at the top of the shifter whereas the t-5 appears to be flat. Thanks again to eveyone.