Close

Default 1979-82 Mustang Hood

Does any one sell a repo hood for the 79-82 mustangs?

I am not aware of any reproduction steel hoods for the 79-82 cars at this time.

IIRC, Maier Racing did offer a 79-82 Fiberglass hood that I believe had the Pace Car scoop molded in, but that's all I can think of right now.

A WTB in the classifieds may be one of your best options. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Not that I'm aware of. Only in fiberglass. And even then there are not many to choose from. If you want stock then used is it.

There used to be reproductions made, but they are now discontinued. I was extremely lucky to get probably the last repop hood around. the Mustang Shop here in Calgary had ordered one for a customer way back and were told that the supplier had only two remaining and there would be no more, so they brought in both and had the second one sitting in the back. I mentioned needing a hood once when I was there and they pulled this one out. Needless to say I took it home that day. That was one of the key components that meant keeping my 79 as a 79 and not having to update to a newer four eye front end.

Good luck in your search for a good used one. Hopefully in your area there is less rust to contend with making decent used sheet metal hard to find.

Looks like I'll have to shake the bushes around here and see if I can locate one. Thanks for the info.

I had the bad luck of hitting a dear last Sept after 8 months of searching I was unable to locate a aftermarket or decent useed hood and ended up with a ho fiber trends cowl hood fit any finish are excellent on these hoods and that's according to the body shop that did the work for me

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

Not to hijack, but I now have a sick feeling that the fresh paint on my hood may not be a 79-82 hood. Someone please tell me the difference
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 06-21-2017 at 05:30 PM.

Cowl width! Whew! I'm ok. I was gonna hate to have to paint another 79 hood I have laying around

I bought a NOS hood for my 82 project. When I went to install it, the latch wouldn't catch. I tried to adjust the latch all the way up and still no dice. Evidentially I had an early (presumably a 79 hood) that was slightly different than the 82 hood. I ended up welding an extension to the new hood from the old 82 hood to make it work.

So not all 79-82 hoods are the same. Even the early hatches are different.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

I'm a 79 car with presumably an 82 hood, I think. It has the large cut out and the forward facing scoop.

Where did you find a nos hood I searched since Sept and ended up buying a fiberglass hood

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk