Close

Default Tach adapter for msd

For my new engine build I will be using a msd 6al digital ignition. Does anyone know the tach adapter that is needed for 86 Capri 5.0 stock tach.Will be carbed. Really want to keep stock tach. Would older non digital ignition work with new billet distributor?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dtmilsap View Post
    For my new engine build I will be using a msd 6al digital ignition. Does anyone know the tach adapter that is needed for 86 Capri 5.0 stock tach.Will be carbed. Really want to keep stock tach. Would older non digital ignition work with new billet distributor?

There's two models. I believe one is supposed to work with magnetic trigger from the distributor (MSD 8920), and the other is for points.

I bought an 8920 for mine because I had a mag pickup aftermarket distributor.

Have a closer look at your distributor and see if it has a magnetic pickup to trigger the ignition?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Foureyemike, the distributor I am going to use is msd billet distributor, steel gear part number 8598. The guy at msd said they use 12v and my tach uses 5v . Didn't much sense to me.

That's a nice distributor!

I checked the instructions of the 6al and the distributor.

It looks like that distributor triggers the ignition box with the green and purple wire. According to the msd 6al manual, table p. 7, if triggering the ignition box with the green /purple mag pickup wires, use the 8920 adapter.

Thanks for the info foureyemike.