Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by jessesandy View Post
    Four more parts.
    Attachment 112297

1. E2EE-9A995-AA purple

2. D8AE-B2A ("A/CLR" white) ("VAC/MTR" red)
    3. D3DE-AB ("CARB" black) ("DIST" brown)
    4. D3TE-AB ("CARB" black) ("DIST" white)
    5. D9AE-9B903-BA
    6. D9AE-AA
    7. E3ZE-12A182-A (Electric contacts normally closed with no vacuum. Contacts go open at 8" vacuum.)
    8. D7ZE-9E862-AA (green)

I couldn't see any of the "VREST" that connect to the charcoal canister hoses.
    Are these Vacuum restrictors...just fittings with a smaller inside diameter ?
    I think I am going to try to identify each of these parts and get a picture of each one to document this set up.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

I'm still not sure what to make of the parts on my car dated 1973, 77, 78, etc.

Looking forward to seeing some data (part numbers) from other cars to see if mine is an oddball.

No, its certainly not an oddball, emission control evolved very quickly from 1965 to 1973, with spikes in new artillery in those years. If you look at the Vehicle Speed Sensor used for the cruise conrtol and emissions pacakages from 1969 to 1973, its the same as the 1978 Foxes. Ford got all the emissions calibrations worked out fast...it was the cost effective part that took more time. See again Red 78's VECI grocery list....lot of your stuff was there in 1979 and didn't suddenly arrive by the Hairy Smog Fairy in that year alone....about 53 to 58 devices, with another 10 terms on the VECI.

If by 1986 the EFI cars details are added, thats 85 items, 32 extra items in just six years. Of course, Ford was delighted....less emissions plumbing, less each year in fact....

I rejoce in something like a 2003 Zeta engined Ford Focus....

Couldn't Ford just have made it a lttle MORE complicated, so Fox owners would feel a little better?

I am on this exact same quest with my recently acquired 83 GT 4 Speed car. Jim has provided me with some info on his all original 83 & his emissions (from what I can see) look different from some of the others. Is there a tell-tale way to quickly identify what cars had the CA emissions on it? I was recently talking to a person who has virtually the same car as mine, but I can clearly see one of the flow valves at valve cover level on the passengers side of the car. Jims car doesn't have this valve showing. However his car is a 5-speed if that makes a difference from the 4 speeds.

Here's a picture of the one I am talking about.

Or is this the standard 83 equipment? Seeing all of mine is missing except the air pump, I have no clue
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just to clarify what 1983-GT said.

My guess is the valve assembly for the Thermactor System (Secondary Air Injection) which I believe was CA requirement...?
    Last edited by 83GTJIM; 05-17-2017 at 09:39 AM.
    MCA #110307
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Both CA and 49-state cars have Thermactor Air, either one-piece ACV or separate diverter and bypass ACVs.

From what I can find, CA cars had the separate valves, 49-state had the one-piece. But that's not guaranteed to be accurate.
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

My '83 4 speed California car has the one piece combo-multi-thermactor valve.

Name:  thermactor valve.jpg
Views: 2072
Size:  116.5 KB

Check the emissions label under the hood for "...certified for sale in California..."
    (Sorry about the picture. Damn $14.99 camera.)

Name:  my emissions label california.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  103.5 KB
    Last edited by jessesandy; 05-17-2017 at 11:42 AM.

Four more parts.
    Attachment 112297

1. E2EE-9A995-AA purple

2. D8AE-B2A ("A/CLR" white) ("VAC/MTR" red)
    3. D3DE-AB ("CARB" black) ("DIST" brown)
    4. D3TE-AB ("CARB" black) ("DIST" white)
    5. D9AE-9B903-BA
    6. D9AE-AA
    7. E3ZE-12A182-A (Electric contacts normally closed with no vacuum. Contacts go open at 8" vacuum.)
    8. D7ZE-9E862-AA (green)

I couldn't see any of the "VREST" that connect to the charcoal canister hoses.
    Are these Vacuum restrictors...just fittings with a smaller inside diameter ?

Could there be a typo in #5? I have "D9AE-9B963-BA"
    MCA #110307
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Pretty sure they are restrictors that look like hose male/male connectors. I did find my car had a couple of those down near the charcoal canisters. About the only thing that is still connected on the emissions side. I'll post a pict when I get home.

Purge Valve (what NO 5 is on an ex jessesandy 83 5.0) come in other colors.

VREST's do too, although some have extra legs and aren't just in and out...sometimes three tracts for "other engines".

Sorry, In my comment above (#34) I was responding to Jim's mention (quote from jessesandy ) the VREST's that are in-line near the canisters.

I should have quoted the comment & I didn't. Did it in a hurry & goofed
    Last edited by 1983-GT; 05-17-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Its all good.

In Ford speak, Vehicle Emission Control Information = (VECI)

The 2015 Veterans Economic Communities Initiative =(VECI) but taint the same....

Before purchase photos on ebay aren't always the right phots or description.

So Just watch out for the naming conventions.

A/CL BI MET
    and
    A/CL CWM (number 8 on the jessandy list) often get mixed up.

The call name on it is CWM, as it is now what it is on the VECI is the A/CL CWM, the Air Cleaner Cold Weather Modulator .

In a similar way, thermactor valve can be a Tan color in some installs, and there other types asside from a "one piece combo-multi thermactor valve". Some High Altitude or California Emissions cars end up in other states or Canada, yet have DSO numbers which aren't California. The VECI diagram is only threre on 1980 onwards vehicles, so some cars you gotta search the

DV's can be any color. Whats important is rating and type. The part number will be your guide, but sometimes, you "caant always git whatcha want...."

When fgross2006 did his different to 4V HO CFI HO air cleaner, he had to use non standard colors/shade or parts because the CWM in green wasn't around on line. Same with Blue Black or Yellow ones.

Here is his stand in, a pink TVS, which won't have excatly the right leak pressure as per

http://myzephyrs.com/vac_part_name.htm and everyone in parts list them as 9A995, or Air Cleaner TVS

1983 Item no 8. on the "jessandy" list is D7ZE-9E862-AA and its green. When green it becomes a CWM (cold weather modulator) #9E862

also on Red 78''s grocery list http://myzephyrs.com/vac_part_name.htm

New Genuine OEM Ford D7EE-9E607-AA Air Cleaner Temperature Sensor is still the same color, but its still a TVS
    But for 77 78 79 80 82 84 MUSTANG NOS CARBURETOR AIR CLEANER VACUUM CONTROL TVS VALVE is Pink for other years.

Manufacturer Part Number: D7FZ-9A995-A
    Interchange Part Number: D7EE-9A995-AA

And there are white ones as well for Trucks. Still a TVS

Replacements you have to be real particular about.....Common ones are now Pink TVS instead of Green CWM ....Expect a few issues like that, but you'll find the right stuff if you lkook at the enginnering numbers on the cars.

Ask questions and get the right parts.

The color changes do have implications, and just having the right name won't make it a standard Ford part....

In a similar way, all Ford parts in that era have the Makers or interchange part number listed after the date code.

9B963 = Purge Control Valve (Pur CV), but it can have another color on the other side sometimes.

Its not a PCV, which doesn't exist on the list, but you'll sure see it on the VECI.

So just check those terms, and you'll be good.

You are correct, it is a six and not a zero.
    The plastic is a little chewed up and I read it wrong. (And didn't bother to check the other one.)

Name:  charcoal 3 port fitting.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  77.3 KB

From Tux Stangs sensational post....truncated shots.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ify-components

showing the Thermal Vacum Vent you might find on Hi Altitude 83's 5.0 gt's.

He got it all from a mixture of sources, but agian,

Another usefull link => http://myzephyrs.com/ (btw, it also hosts 79 to 83 copies of EVTM for Fairmont/Zephyr)

Ok, I've discovered my ACV may not be correct. I'll need a part number for the one-piece ACV. Thanks!
    Also discovered my carb is an'85, but that shouldn't really affect me.
    Jim DeAngelis
    (bought from MRausch82)

Like the Air Control valve pictured above in post #32 ?

E0AE-9F491-B4A

Like the Air Control valve pictured above in post #32 ?

E0AE-9F491-B4A
    Yes, thank you!
    Jim DeAngelis
    (bought from MRausch82)

Still hunting parts...
    Jim DeAngelis