Close

Thread: Clutch quadrant

Default Clutch quadrant

I picked up the MM quadrant, firewall adjuster and cable for my 85 GT and have searched and combed the threads here. I know the best way is to pull the driver seat and am all prepped to do the job. I did this job several years ago on a 90 Mustang and remember it was a crappy job. I took a quick glance under the dash last night to refresh my memory about where everything is but I didn't see the quadrant. After further investigation I realized the quadrant is covered by a bracket.

My question is I don't recall there being a cover on the 90 I did and I never saw a mention of having to remove a bracket in all of the write ups I saw online or in this forum. Anyone recall there being a bracket they had to remove to get to the quadrant? Just a sanity check before I start yanking stuff.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Bane85; 05-11-2017 at 08:07 AM.

85 GT?

Just long nose pliers and the clevis pin shoots off.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...able-too-short

Last post notes some of the tools to clear the pedal.

The first Steeda diagram shows it in steps http://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda...t-install.html

The other MM diagram has customer photos. http://www.americanmuscle.com/maximu...-quadrant.html

Use the five customer images if you can, they are arrayed 21, 16, 12, 8 and 7.

We are not the size of a good Viet Cong tunnel digger. Be patient, and ask more questions if its not clear. My Cortina used the same system. Not easy to swap, but easier with the seat out and a little light and some cell phone shots.

I'd ALMOST rather change a heater core..
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

I just pulled the pins and pryed the stock style out then put the adjustable kit style imone in and replaced the pins the put in the cable and adjusted it.

I do not have anything positive at all to say about the UPR kit I installed. The adjuster on the firewall is all aluminum and sticks making it impossible to turn by hand. Worse yet the cable is of inferior quality - the end snapped off mine in about 2500 miles.

worse yet, when I left a question for sales about which replacement cable to buy they never returned my call. Still worse yet I've called customer service multiple times and after waiting on the line for a considerable amount of time their pos phone system is dropping my calls - I never have gotten to speak to anyone.

If they aren't going to provide reasonable access to parts then they need to stop selling their crap products. Very unimpressed as my car is basically stuck where it is until I get a cable.

My suggestion - don't buy UPR!

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

search for incoming cable coming into the car under dash and the quadrant is at the end of that pry off plastic OEM as described in instructions and it's really that simple it's not directly above clutch pedal it's off set to the right FYI
    Remove the seat and drop a old blanket over the seat studs coming out of the floor so they don't bite your back I'd say 2 hours and it's complete

Don't forget to add the widget and shrink wrap per the kit to take up the slack
    Also if I recall the 85 does have a black box and a wire harness or 2 that you have to unplug (very simple and straight forward) think it's for the radio I'm not sure

All said and done you will have a nice kit installed

Seriously not hard at all

Thanks for all of the help. I got everything in just need to adjust the cable with the FWA. There was a grey box mounted to a bracket that is held on with one nut. I removed it and it opened everything up. Thanks to my 10 year old son this job was easy for me all I had to do was crawl under the car he handled everything under the dash.

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bane85 View Post
    Thanks for all of the help. I got everything in just need to adjust the cable with the FWA. There was a grey box mounted to a bracket that is held on with one nut. I removed it and it opened everything up. Thanks to my 10 year old son this job was easy for me all I had to do was crawl under the car he handled everything under the dash.
    nice!!!

Coming from a guy with big hands and the scars that go with them - that's the way to do it!