Close

Red face Looking to do an 8.8 swap

My 83 GT currently has a 7.5 inch rear and I would like to swap it out for an 8.8. The engine has had a lot of work done to it and is pushing out around 325 hp so I feel the little 7.5 should be replaced with something a little more stout. I did find an 8.8 out of a '93 SVT Corba for a reasonable price. It has disc brakes and 3:73 gears. My question is: Have any of you swapped for this rear end and if so, what are somethings I will need to be mindful of? Are there any differences besides the brakes between this rear and a stock GT 8.8?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by StangerGT; 05-10-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Upgrading a 85 LX with a 8.8 out of an 89 GT and installing 93 cobra brakes. You'll need the parking brake cables, master cylinder, an adapter line for the brakes, proportioning valve, and a 3-to-2 plug kit I believe
    Car: 1986 Mustang GT Hatchback || 5.0L H.O. || Borg-Warner T5 || 171,000 Miles || 25 mpg

Mods: Bfg G-Force T/A KDW || K&N/silencer removed || Hood pins

Times: faster then a speeding Prius

Sorry to jack the thread i aslo need help but I have an 82 Capri with a 7.5 and have a chance to get a 8.8 rear from a 91 gt with 373 gears. Is this what I need also to do the swap. It has the stock drums on it.
    ~LES~
    157 HP @ 4200 RPM
    240 ft/lb @ 2400 RPM

"Yeah Baby Feel That Pure Power"
    Capri:
    Is a Mustang With Hips And Class

Car: 1986 Mustang GT Hatchback || 5.0L H.O. || Borg-Warner T5 || 171,000 Miles || 25 mpg

Mods: Bfg G-Force T/A KDW || K&N/silencer removed || Hood pins

Times: faster then a speeding Prius

7.5s and 8.8s axles and brakes are interchangeable. All 8.8 housings out of a Fox Chassis Mustang will swap into our cars. You may need to address brake line differences since the Cobra axle uses disc brakes.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

I'm in the middle of doing an 8.8 for my 20th Anniversary and kinda became confused. I checked out the LMR video and parts list. Ok...... The thread listed below has some interesting points and measurements. For instance, the Turbo Coupe and '93 Cobra axles are 3/4" longer than standard Fox Mustang axles.... Read on from the link:

The 8.8 axle was released in '83 and made its way into the fox platform in '86.

Factory Mustang and other fox body cars.
    Housing width is 59.25" with zero center section offset. Axle shaft length is 29.25"
    Brakes are 9" or 10" 4 lug Drums

Popular Swaps
    **All numbers below are based on comparison to factory fox body mustang.**

87-88 Turbo Coupe and 93 Cobra 8.8" axles are basically the same with 30" (3/4" longer) axle shafts meaning, they are 1.5" wider overall.
    brakes are 10" 4 lug vented rotors

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...sis-Rear-Axles
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

Ok, here is where I'm confused:
    I was told that by using the SN95 brackets modified (2nd pic) that the disc brakes will work. In LMR's video, they use Turbo Coupe/'93 Cobra rear disc set up....with Fox axles....and TC caliper mounting brackets. IF the TC/'93 Cobra axles are 3/4" longer in their normal set up, if using the Fox axles "SHOULD" move the rotor inboard and cause issues with the rotor/caliper working. The SN95 bracket mod mounts the bracket INBOARD of the flange where as the TC/Cobra bracket mounts outboard prior to installing the axle. Any further in put would be greatly appreciated as my 8.8 is being built as I write this.

Last edited by conmech; 05-11-2017 at 09:50 PM.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Am I losing it or what guys?
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

94-98 sn95 are the same width as the tc junk.

Ive seen people flip the brackets and mount on the inside before. Still new a few washers for shims.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    94-98 sn95 are the same width as the tc junk.

Ive seen people flip the brackets and mount on the inside before. Still new a few washers for shims.
    Nothing SN95 in my set up, except maybe the bracket. Using Fox 8.8
    conmech - aka Marshall

Yeah, but it is all the same width as the sn95 junk. I was just pointing out that if you can mount them on the inside of flange to make sn-95 brackets line up with the fox width axle, then the same should be true with the tc stuff.

I dont think the tc calipers are the same as the sn-95, so i would probably just use the tc stuff, but i am not sure if thats what you are trying to do.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar