Close

Default Road trip, 1800 miles in my vert.

Took my 84 on a little road trip this last weekend. We took off without a for sure destination, but I wanted to cruise Route 66 back.

So here's a few pics, I'll post more info when I'm home from work.

83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears

Awesome, look forward to more details / pics!!!

Cool! We road tripped home from Florida to Nebraska last year after buying my sons 1986 ragtop. Fun times.

Wow, your 84 looks just like the one I'm fixing up now, are those original Trx wheels or the new 16" versions?

Looks like a lot of fun! Great looking vert!!!
    Would love to drive Route 66. I have a great starting point as my apartment complex is just off the mother road here in St. Louis.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

LMR TRX's according to his signature.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I saw in the sig that he has them on an 83. I didn't want to assume he had them on his 84 as well or if it came with those wheels from factory, I have a virtually identical car except mine is a 5speed and does not have a luggage rack. I didn't get the oem wheels with mine so was just cruious

Whose the lucky "seat cover", 4ifox?

Lucky gal...

Hope I'm allowed to use 80's CB speak....

Yeah the TRX's go on which ever car needs to look coolest

So long story short, I originally bought this vert for this reason, road tripping. How ever after taking it on some shorter day trips, we decided it wasn't going to be the best option. It's very hard to travel with the top down and kinda has a drone noise at highway speeds from the top. Anyway we had been planning a trip to the Grand Canyon for the prior weekend, well 5 day weekend, but weather made us cancel. Worked out for both of us to take Monday off so we decided to go for a drive. Being that the weather was nice and it had the TRX's on it, we decided to take the convertible. I had never been out through southern eastern KS, so we headed out that way on Friday late afternoon. We stayed off the Interstate and kept to the 2 lane roads. Not a bad drive, everything was nice and green but no where to really enjoy being in a sports car(?) . Our first stop for the night was Garden City. No real picturesque scenery there, but evidence of earlier mentioned weather from the weekend before and lots of thoughts of the opening scene in Men in Black . ( dam bugs)

More updates to come.
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

What you guys did...that's my dream.

Ah, your youngest son, AH? Sorry man!.

What a road trip! From practcal experience with my Uncles,Triumph Stag all over Auckland and Central Otago....aint much you can do except this

Homemade wind deflector. They used to call it a Bug screen (keeps the little Bu99ers out...)

Natures air con is pretty good at times....
    septic tank trucks, diesels and the odd Blizzard the down points.

Top Down in the Fox?

Some people on 401 highway in Toronto are just too cool for everyone...

http://www.beyond.ca/ford-mustang-co...own/24499.html

Whose the lucky "seat cover", 4ifox?

Lucky gal...
    That's my wife. Probably a big reason I'm into Mustangs. We've been married 1 and a half years, but I've known her for 32 years. She's been my sister's best friend since high school, and used to drive a 65 Mustang, that her mom bought new as her first car. My 83 is in our engagement and wedding photos.

Ah, your youngest son, AH? Sorry man!.
    Not following that?

I saw in the sig that he has them on an 83. I didn't want to assume he had them on his 84 as well or if it came with those wheels from factory, I have a virtually identical car except mine is a 5speed and does not have a luggage rack. I didn't get the oem wheels with mine so was just cruious
    Well you must have a good looking car Yeah they're the LMR ones and I love them.

What you guys did...that's my dream.
    Yeah mine to. We drive my Mustangs on road trips frequently, but this was the most miles in such a little time.

Back to the trip.

Second day was from Garden City KS to Roswell. I was kinda surprised by lack of services and things to do on this leg. Normally we seem to find little stops on the way, either scenic or " tourist" type stops, but there was nothing. Really there was only 2 areas that had food and gas in a 7 hour drive, and the longest stretch of highway with nothing I've ever been on, literally 100 miles with nothing. Except we saw lots of Antelope, and that was cool . Also the texture of the landscape was quite different through the areas going north to south.

More snow in the ditches. Saw several dead cows that got stuck in the snow drifts.

Note the single mountain in the background by the sign.

So now we're in Roswell, which was kinda a disappointment. I was expecting a lot more alien embracement , it actually wasn't that prelevant. It got to 95 degrees so most of that time was spent with the AC on. But got a beautiful night of top down driving in .

Leaving Roswell and on our way to 66. Went by Billy the Kids grave. ( rant time. It seems that most things out here, and along route 66, think people only travel Tuesday to Saturday between 9 and 5 . Almost all museums , little cool specialty shops, ect, were closed Sunday and Monday. ) Then hit the Cadillac ranch on 66 outside Amarillo TX. Honestly from there to Oklahoma City route 66 was kinda a let down. There were it's little moments, but it's mostly either just interstate or newer business loops off of it. The big route 66 museum was in Oklahoma out there but it was closed. Oklahoma City had the Arcadia Pop store, but I couldn't get a root beer float, and I had really been cravin one.

Last day to come....

I suddenly thought, hey, it may not be AH's hot chic, but your 21 year old or the other son.

Ah, your youngest son, AH? Sorry man!
    (I ment, if I got it wrong...).

So how did you know my initials were AH? lol...

Im not allowed to tell you...(but if you have a photo bucket account like I do, when I hook on to your photobucket it gives me one of your pages...that links back to the other pages so I kinda guessed you were da man!

Mine is xecute6, on my links below in my album. Not stalkin'....I stalk basin motorsports because he askes everyone to do so... )

I'm so happy that you're getting some pleasure out of the car. It's very inspiring to see...taking a road trip like that. I really need to get off my duff and get back to mine. Your road trip has racked up more miles than mine has seen in six years. I'm quite jealous...your car is a beauty.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

I love travel chronicles like this. Keep the info and pics coming. There is so much to see in this great country.

For me, today I took my newer Mustang to a car show 100+ miles away. To get there I took the fastest route (mostly Interstates). It was cool and cloudy and the route was fairly busy even for a Saturday morning. The weather cleared by the afternoon, making for a beautiful day, so I took mostly two-lanes home. Not as busy, scenery was outstanding, and you get to see quirky things along the way.... like a salvage yard full of Pontiac Fieros. Sorry no pics, maybe next time.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Man TN is a beautiful drive, really about anywhere.

Anyway sorry to take so long to get back to this, but busy mother's day weekend, and we're going to Colorado this weekend, though not in this, so tha has me super busy keeping up.

So as far as this area of 66, from OK city to Tulsa is what it's all about. There's about 50 miles of back road, little town, heaven. Of course all the little shops and stops seemed to be closed, but that's not what it's really about. There were cool old garages, and stuff just looked like what you would imagine the whole road was like at one time. Only pic I took was at the Rock Cafe, which was in the movie Cars.

So all in all not a bad trip, though it really was a little on the slow side, as far as finding stuff to do. Not much fun driving on this trip either, but lots of different scenery. I found most of the route 66 I44 business loops to be scattered with cool stuff, but mostly just new city type stuff. If there's not a destination it's not really worth getting off the interstate. I enjoy the drive through Mo on 66 a lot more. Though it's been several years now since I've drove it I intend to do it again before deep summer. As far as fun driving roads goes, Northern Arkansas and middle Mo offers a lot.

Man TN is a beautiful drive, really about anywhere.

Anyway sorry to take so long to get back to this, but busy mother's day weekend, and we're going to Colorado this weekend, though not in this, so tha has me super busy keeping up.

So as far as this area of 66, from OK city to Tulsa is what it's all about. There's about 50 miles of back road, little town, heaven. Of course all the little shops and stops seemed to be closed, but that's not what it's really about. There were cool old garages, and stuff just looked like what you would imagine the whole road was like at one time. Only pic I took was at the Rock Cafe, which was in the movie Cars.

So all in all not a bad trip, though it really was a little on the slow side, as far as finding stuff to do. Not much fun driving on this trip either, but lots of different scenery. I found most of the route 66 I44 business loops to be scattered with cool stuff, but mostly just new city type stuff. If there's not a destination it's not really worth getting off the interstate. I enjoy the drive through Mo on 66 a lot more. Though it's been several years now since I've drove it I intend to do it again before deep summer. As far as fun driving roads goes, Northern Arkansas and middle Mo offers a lot.

I make quite a few driving trips. When I am not in a hurry I like to run the two-lanes for the reasons noted in this thread. I too like to visualize what they were like in the pre Interstate days.

I'm always plotting a new way to get from point A to point B on some road I haven't been on. For example, I've driven from Houston to Texarkana (and back) probably a hundred times. Mostly I was in a hurry and stayed on US 59. But take a look at your old Rand McNally; there are a zillion different ways to get there, and I sometimes would venture onto other roads just for fun. Lots of interesting things to see in the depths of East Texas....
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars