Close

Default 1984 SVO comp prep???

Ive been told by many that my 1984 SVO maybe a Comp prep car. It would be really cool to find out. Looking into getting the Marti report for it. I have all the original paperwork. No power windows, locks, no AC etc... I truly love my car and would be crazy if it was a comp prep...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

There were two ways in the 1984 model year that an SVO could be ordered without manual air conditioner, power lock group, and power side windows. The first is what some SVO enthusiasts call "option delete", although that term is not technically correct as you don't delete options. The second is the Competition Preparation package.

In the beginning of the 1984 model year the SVO did not come with A/C, PL, PW, or AM/FM cassette (AM radio was standard). You had to order those items if you wanted them. About half way through the model year all of those items became standard and if you didn't want them you had to order the Comp Prep option which deleted A/C, PL, and PW, and downgraded the radio to AM/FM stereo.

Does your SVO have 'slapper bars' on the rear axle? If so that is an indication that it was built before Jan 1984 and that would definitely be an early unit, as the Comp Prep option wasn't available for a couple more months. If your SVO is a 'quad shock' car instead then more investigation is required as it could be either. Pics of your door tag and buck tag would be helpful.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 05-10-2017 at 07:46 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Power Member

I have several 84 comp preps, like Foxchassis said we need more information. Lowest vin number 84 comp prep has been 17**** so far. All so far have been built in April or later even though they were ordered earlier.
    Kendal

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by KCoker View Post
    I have several 84 comp preps, like Foxchassis said we need more information. Lowest vin number 84 comp prep has been 17**** so far. All so far have been built in April or later even though they were ordered earlier.
    April sounds about right. I odered my car early April and Comp Prep was on the option list I reviewed. I think it may have been as early as Feb. to be ordered. So few were ordered to start with. Order to delivery time was less than 4 weeks in April for the SVO.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Here is the original letter that I have with all the paperwork from Ford. It has the VinName:  Screenshot_20170510-222549.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  40.9 KB

It's not a CP. Too early. It was optioned with AM/FM cassette but no A/C, PL, or PW.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Super Member

I see " Normal axle ratio "
    I wounder what normal is ?
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

For the 5.0L engine there was a "standard" axle ratio, or what this Ford build sheet calls "normal", and then there was an "optional" axle ratio.

For the SVO there was no optional axle ratio. They all got 3.45 in 1984. So there was no need to include "Normal Rear Axle Ratio" on this report.

This Ford build sheet, like many others before it, has some incorrect and unnecessary information.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I'm gonna check my 84 SVO too........ I have manual everything and it has slapper bars. Hmmm........

According to the Ford Performance Group statistics for the 1984 SVO (post #3 HERE) there were:

4508 - Total
    26 - Competition Preparation

That means there were 4482 non-CP made in 1984.

Doing a little math reveals this:

252 of those 4482 were ordered without AM/FM cassette
    357 of those 4482 were ordered without A/C
    521 of those 4482 were ordered without power windows
    546 of those 4482 were ordered without power locks
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Wow......only 26. I'm sure mine is not a CP. Has ac.

CP was not available until Feb 1984, and not built until Apr 1984, long after the slapper bars were gone. In other words, no CP had slapper bars.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder