Close

FEP Member

Default MM subframe connector installation

Hi. Getting ready to install some full length subframe connectors on my 85 Mustang. The rear torque boxes aren't as flat as I'd like them, and there is a little gap between the subframe connector and the torque box. I'm thinking of putting in the competition engineering torque box reinforcement plates on the torque box, then weld the subframe connectors to that.

Anyone have an alternative solution? Or anyone else tried this?

Thanks!

FEP Senior Member

You can bend the connectors to fit better, if needed. Or wait to see how they fit to the torque boxes after the reinforcements are welded in.

I did the connectors already, but I have not added box reinforcements yet (but will soon).

Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

When these cars were new they weren't square. I have 4 cars with subframe connectors and 2 of them have the maximum motorsports full length. One of them was a car with 6,200 miles on it. NONE of them fit "flush" with the frame including that one. The installer needs a drive-on lift. That is the key. They can then put a screw-type jack stand under the problem area (one of those that is like 5 feet tall) of the frame connector and push it up tighter against the frame. Also, they may need to heat the connector so they can bend it. These cars are not exactly fine German engineering, LOL.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP Member

Yes, I know that there will be a gap under the front, but since just the tabs need welded, it will be fine. It looks like my car was jacked up on the rear torque boxes and bent up a little. This causes a gap where the subframe connector meets the torque box, and the gap would need filled with weld. I think I'm going to install the reinforcement plates, if nothing else to have a good flat surface to weld to.

you may also have to push up on the SFC at the seat bracket if it doesn't go up all the way so that may give you the extra space taken up right there.

besides the seats i had to bend both of my SFC to make them fit better.