Views: 381
Size:  192.4 KBName:  20170313_155333.jpg
Size:  48.7 KBName:  20170313_155348.jpg
Size:  43.3 KBName:  20170331_132133.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  50.4 KB
    OK, so far I have changed out the the front lower control arms with Ford parts as well as the inner and outer tie rods. I went with the 87-93 front brakes and SS brake lines with Koni shocks and SVE lowering springs all around and, changed out the rear lower control arms. I still have to remount the factory rear sway bar and replace the end links and rubber bits on the fronts. I have the interior out of the car laying down some Eastwood sound deaden-er. Name:  zdfgag.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  137.6 KB The door panels were pretty roached, thankfully Tonysilver82 had a set available. Thanks again Tony. Hopefully I will be able to start recovering the Recaros shortly.

I really like your mustang. Another t-top

Great starting point for sure. Will you be painting it?

Paint is in the future, think I'll give it a try.

The 87 back glass has been removed and replaced with the correct rear glass. I will be using SVO sail panels. Trying to decide if I will paint them body color or black.

FEP Super Member

I actually spent some time , looking at those areo windows in your car .
    Trying to decide if i like the look with the t-tops and all .
    In my opinion , and because i have owned my 84 T-top , for 20 years , they compliment the 4 eyed lines well .
    Cleans up the mix of angles .
    Just my opinion , and for the record , my car still has the stock side glass.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I agree. The aero quarter windows look good with the frameless t-top door glass.

And you might be able to shine up the hood with some compound. Looks like a great start though!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I thought you were going to sell this one? Glad you are keeping it and look forward to the build thread.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

The aero quarter glass don't look terrible on the 4 Eyed cars, but I definitely like them better with the stock windows. Add a set of SVO sail panels to the mix and they are golden IMHO!

GT is coming along nicely! Keep the pictures coming!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks guys, I'm on 3rd shift working 6 days a week so progress has been slow.

Thanks guys, I'm on 3rd shift working 6 days a week so progress has been slow. Here are the door panels I got from a fellow member.Name:  030a.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  95.2 KBName:  033a.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  91.5 KB I will also be changing out the fuel tank and lines shortly.

Nice ride!

For what it's worth - I would not even consider putting the rear sway bar back unless I had a watts link or panhard in place. Even then, unless it's spending a lot of time on the road course I probably would not put on a stock GT rear sway bar.

The 93 cobra has smaller sway rates both front and rear. The stock GT front bar is so much anti-roll that you really can't take enough out in back.

I drove my 1986 GT daily for 18+ years in all types of weather - rain, snow, ice, shine, etc. The car had horribly unpredictable handling if it were pushed at all. Add wet or snow or ice, forget it - the car is going to get a person killed eventually. It's amplified if the tractionlok works too.

My suggestions for a better street car experience is stock GT/LX sport rate springs in front and 4cyl LX rate rear spring, no rear sway, and new stock replacement shocks. My sons daily is a nice 86 ragtop that's completely stock so before/after for us is as easy as driving each car. I'm sharing what I did to mine because it worked so well. The vast majority of its unpredictable ways are replaced by plenty of warning and forgiveness - even at the edge. I can actually correct and recover - what a concept. I'm easily taking corners at 70 that you would be hard pressed to take in the stock GT at 45 - and the ragtop is fresh underneath plus it has a lower center of gravity.

my car is now 5 lug running 245/45/17, sn95 brakes. The front end is dropped just over 1 1/2" via X2 balljoints and caster/camber plates. The rear has one coil cut out. It sits nearly level - just a slight rake which I'll fix sometime soon.

Another benefit of no rear sway is the way the rear tires plant. I can let out on the clutch on pavement and stand on the gas and turn left around a median without experiencing the notoriously severe foxbody oversteer. Granted my gears are tall. I'm running 2.73:1 rear gears and 2.95:1 low gear T5 right now. But it has no problem blowing the tires off when going 20 mph down the street so there's enough power there. Bolt-ons under the hood are typhoon intake, headers, throttlebody, etc.

Anyway - good luck on your build. I hope you achieve your goals.

Thanks for the info. The car has the TRX suspension so, from what I understand is that it has the same size rear sway bar as the 93 Cobra. For now I will leave it in place until I can get some street time in it and start fine tuning the car.

Here is the rear with new springs and shocks. The car has Koni quad shocks on it right now. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep the quad shock just yet or not. If I do I will pull them off and detail them.
    Name:  20170510_161006.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  41.6 KB

The car is pretty solid, when I pulled the carpet I did find a small rust hole in the passenger side...
    Name:  a3.jpg
Size:  184.2 KB
    The drivers side has had a patch put in some time in its life and the welded area around one side has some small holes around it.
    Name:  a2.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  220.7 KB
    I have treated both spots with a rust inhibitor for right now. The passenger side I will use the patch kit that Eastwood has, as far as the driers side goes I'm undecided at this point.

I striped both of the quarter window frames, shot them with some self etching primer and painted them satin black along with the surrounding trim area.
    Name:  a1.jpg
Size:  217.6 KB
    I will be going with the SVO rear sail panels, I haven't yet decided if I will paint them body color or paint them black.
    Name:  a5.jpg
Size:  272.6 KBName:  a4.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  345.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    I thought you were going to sell this one? Glad you are keeping it and look forward to the build thread.
    I was going to sell it, then I started tinkering on it and buying up parts. Next thing I know I'm tearing it apart and getting it ready for a DD.

OK so, I finished bleeding the front brakes and I moved on to the paint on the hood and the tops of the fenders. It looks pretty wasted, it's all cracked and chipped.Name:  a01.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  85.8 KB This is what I started with. I pulled the the cowl vent and trim to clean and paint, when I pulled them off I found a ton of crud..Name:  a02.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  91.7 KB I started with some cutting compound on the top of the passengers fender and moved on to the hood,

Name:  a03 (1).jpg
Views: 233
Size:  71.1 KBName:  a04.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  82.1 KB It looks a whole lot better than what I started out with. I finished with the cutting compound and went with some polishing compound and the results are a lot more presentable than what I started with.Name:  a05 (1).jpg
Views: 239
Size:  93.5 KB

Buffing sure can make a world of difference. At least it's nice enough now that you won't feel rushed about painting. Much better

YES, much better, thank you. Now it has a nice patina not a sun baked crappy hood.

I did get the SVO sail panels fitted, I had to drill an additional hole and elongate some other ones to get them to nest correctly. I painted them with Paint Scratch that I ordered on line. Somehow I got the base coat clear coat paint instead of the single coat I wanted.Name:  a07a.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  44.6 KB The paint match pretty good, I think it is a bit darker than the paint that's on the car now, but HAY, I think it looks good. Name:  a07 (1).jpg
Views: 240
Size:  70.8 KBName:  a08.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  75.7 KB
    Also, I did manage to get my brakes bled and my rear sway bar installed. I pulled the front bar and replaced the bushings.

looking great harry keep up the had work it will pay off in the end

Car is coming along OK for the free time I have to work on it. Couple more t-do's on it and I should be ready for the road.

Great work!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Thanks, wont be long now and it will be on the road. Just ordered the Recaro seat cover kit from NPD, WOW!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast