Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Why the hard start??? Have fuel at carburetor; Sometimes fires runs great, new f.pump

Why the hard start??? Have fuel at carburetor; Sometimes fires runs great, new fuel pump, stalls

When I crank, it tries to fire and sometimes runs a little then stalls out. If I spray carb cleaner into the 2 barrel carb, then crank, it fires right up and runs great for a few seconds, then stalls out.

I removed the fuel line at the carb, cranked, and got gas flowing out of the connection.

I installed a new fuel pump, fuel filter, front rubber fuel line, minor carburetor (carb) 2150 rebuild kit. The carb kit included an accelerating pump diaphragm, fuel inlet needle and seat (connects to and moved by the float), and gaskets. I cleaned all of the carb I could with carburetor cleaner, and re-installed the carb. I left it unadjusted. Could I have reassembled something wrong in the diaphragm area? It was running really rough and would sometimes idle after long cranks before and after the rebuild.

Sounds like everything needs readjusted. If you keep it above idle,how does it run then? Does it backfire any? Have you double checked all vacuum lines and connections? Did you make sure the float is adjusted to the proper height?

On another note, how is your ignition system? Sometimes ignition problems seem like carburetor problems. Just sayn.

I'd start it cold with the choke set tight and see what you get

Today I poured brand new premium gas into the 2 barrel carb, cranked, it fired and ran for only a few seconds. When I just cranked without adding fuel, it would not fire. I have no clue how to set the choke tight, or do any adjustments to the carb. The Chilton manual and carb rebuild instructions have some setup procedures. The float level looks the same as before I installed the associated needle and seat. It cranks like I am getting no fire/fuel. There was fuel going to the carb yesterday. The Chilton manual says one pint in 25-30 seconds is good flow out of the pump. This is their first check of the fuel system.

Thanks guys,

I may have found the problem – bad gas 15 years old – saw dark residue when I measured pump output; found black goo dripping when I opened the rear tank fuel line. Now, how do I clean the fuel tank through the carb out?

Sounds like there's probably goo inside the carburetor too. Fuel, especially the garbage they sell us nowadays, if left for long, turns to jello... and by the sounds of your experience, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some of that goop likely lodged inside most detrimentally throughout the circuits' passages, and/or your idle mixture screws are closed too much... Go by your carburetor kit's instructions, fully and carefully disassemble, clear out and blow out all the passages, and then carefully reassemble per the instructions, looking for and setting your carburetor's float level setting and choke settings. A good starting point (that is necessary to at least check, and should be set initially) for the two idle mixture screws is to lightly bottom (clockwise) them, and then turn them out (counterclockwise) 1-1/2 turns.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Yep, I probably need to clean the carb again.

I blew air at about 90psi through the metal line, then rubber lines, and nasty black sticky goo came out more.

I am pumping gas out of the tank, and refilling a cup or 2, pumping out, checking color is still amber, getting lighter.

I would drop the tank and get it all cleaned out of there first. Then disconnect the fuel line going into the fuel pump and blow air thru it from the tank forward. I had to do this for a car one time too. I use Lucas ethanol gas treatment in all of my old cars and it seems to make them run better and I am not having any ethanol related issues yet.

X2 what Walking tall said too.

Glad it's diagnosed! Good luck getting it solved! Happy cleaning!

Throw in an extra see through filter before the pump or run pipe cleaners down the lines or replace them.

Stabil is every car guys friend!

Blog Entries

Temporarily running several fuel filters in series isn't a bad idea for a while, until you know all the crap is out of the tank.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

The black slime started to climb out of the carb heading for my fingers; it is going to take over the world… aaargh!

Name:  IMG_9159.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  139.0 KB

Name:  IMG_9161.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  125.6 KB

*double post
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 05-07-2017 at 08:49 PM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 83v6Stock View Post
    The black slime started to climb out of the carb heading for my fingers; it is going to take over the world… aaargh!

Name:  IMG_9159.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  139.0 KB
    Holy mackerel... ... further apart and more thorough cleaning (the power valve's probably loaded with the $hit) necessary, no doubt...

I can see a problem in your pictures (besides the X-Files black goo). The tail of the red "mushroom" valve that goes into the carburetor's housing behind the accelerator pump diaphragm... leave the enlarged part of the stem that holds it in place, but snip the tail off of it. Not snipping the tail off can interfere with the float working like it should, specifically when it drops to allow more fuel in when it's supposed to...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 05-07-2017 at 08:53 PM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Even small amounts of that black goo in the fuel may also cause intake valves to stick open on a cold
    start, which in turn can cause bent valves and/or pushrods. I would not attempt to just dilute it out
    with fresh gasoline. The tank needs to be dropped and sent out for a proper cleaning, or replaced with
    new.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Does anyone know where to get a cheap new gas tank??? I left a cup of gas in the tank overnight, and the slime was sneakily giving me that amber color yesterday. I have cycled through about 5 cups today, and get black slime residue heavy syrup in the bottom each cycle. The cheapest tank so far is on ebay for about $70 free shipping.

I will try to attach a carb rebuild pdf file.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

$70 is pretty cheap. For that price, i wouldn't even try to clean out the old.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Personally I'd go with a new tank for an 86 from someone like LMR.

My next step would be a junkyard sourced EFI conversion. Just my personal preference I guess.

Must exterminate black slime at the source before it invades other systems. What if I burn the alien? Do you think it will burn away clean, or will it evolve into an even mightier black crust form?

FEP Supporter

Must exterminate black slime at the source before it invades other systems. What if I burn the alien? Do you think it will burn away clean, or will it evolve into an even mightier black crust form?
    Dude, don't light your gas tank on fire. It won't end well.

I hope you're teasing...
    '85 GT

I would remove the evil entity from my transport device, then burn/vaporize it.
    Last edited by 83v6Stock; 05-09-2017 at 12:12 AM.

But seriously, do you think I can clean the gas tank outside of the car by burning the residue black slime? Will it leave a cruddy residue? Is everything on the tank metal? Will it mess up or deform the tank?

FEP Supporter

But seriously, do you think I can clean the gas tank outside of the car by burning the residue black slime? Will it leave a cruddy residue? Is everything on the tank metal? Will it mess up or deform the tank?

Quote Originally Posted by brianj
    $70 is pretty cheap. For that price, i wouldn't even try to clean out the old.
    I agree with brianj and would recommend that you buy another serviceable tank. This is going to be your cheapest and safest option.

If there is some reason you really want to keep that tank, check these links out. Perhaps you're close to one of them or another business that specializes in the same line of work who knows the proper procedures to perform this "exorcism"...

http://www.gas-tank.com/

http://www.orozcosautoservice.com/gas-tank-repair/

http://donhart.com/contact.html
    '85 GT

Thanks guys,

I got chunks of crud out of the tank larger than a square inch wide and 1/8” thick. I see rust inside. Those restoration links show sandblasting and recoating inside. Even if I burned it out, and washed it, it would still shed into the gas.

I found a new tank for my configuration for about $78 free shipping with the sending unit gasket ebay am-autoparts.

Name:  IMG_9162.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  164.9 KBName:  IMG_9168.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  62.2 KB

That tank will explode!!!!! Remember, fuel as a liquid doesn't burn. It burns as a vapor. The tank can hol flammable vapors for a very long time.

I thought gas in an open container would just burn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast