Close

Default Door and hatch strikers on my 86 Capri.

So the little plastic bushings on my door and hatch strikers are long gone, thus making it difficult and sloppy when closing the doors/hatch. I want to get new strikers, but the ones listed on FMR and Latemodel Restoration are different for the doors. They have a piece that comes up and around the bolt like a guard. My door strikers look pretty much just like my hatch striker. I see they stock a striker like what the Capri has, but it's listed as 79-82. Which ones should I order?
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

You can run down to the local parts store and find the plastic bushings in the HELP section. You will most likely have to cut the bushing lengthwise to install it on the striker bolts since the washers are installed and then the threads are rolled.

Pop the bushing on and you can either rotate the cut to the back side away from the latch and they will be fine or you can use some super glue to glue the bushing back together.

Cheaper/easier/faster than ordering.

The Door striker with the metal arm/bracket is a later model change Ford did. They will fit and work just fine on your doors if you want to make the swap. I do it all the time. Leave the rear hatch striker as is.

The breakdown on hatch strikers is 81-86, 87-91, and late 91-93.

Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I had this problem when looking for strikers for my '86 Gt, and ended up using the 87-93 style with the little guards on them. It was a little difficult to get them lined up right, but once lined up they work perfectly fine. The downside to our older style is that you can't take them apart to just put a new plastic bushing on it whereas the newer style is "serviceable" so when the plastic bushing wears out you can just replace that instead of the whole assembly.

And btw the "Help" part number is 38448 for the complete door striker assembly. You can get them at any auto part store for about 8-10 bucks

Cool. Thanks for the replies. So it sounds like I can make the swap to the style with the guard with no problem if needed. For 8-10 bucks, I'll probably just try and get the Dorman Help ones. I'll have to track down a hatch striker though. I don't think I have a new one of those in my piles of junk either.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

Lol...

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    i win the russell cosby ushanka hat award for ncaa....no class at all.

here is the garage tech garden hose replacement. This is a stop gap untill i can afford proper striker catches early next year.

The six point star tool has to be a torks t50, and a predator or whatever electric drill probably won't be enough. A work mate suggested an impact driver, but i didn't wanna ruin a borrowed tool from a workmates bahco s910 socket and spanner set 92 piece 1/4 & 1/2in drive set

so i used my special 18" shifter, his t50, and some hot water, replacement hose pipe, and mamas steak knife.

Here's the result. No class, but a temporary fix.

pictures work on the original link follow the arrow above

[url]

You can also just buy PVC or PEX tubing from the hardware store, cut to size and then slit it open lengthwise and spread open to fit over the bolts. I did this on my '82 GT a few years ago and all is still well with them.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

So I went to Autozone and they had two in stock. I just fumbled with the driver's side for the last hour. You know what's really neat? When the little nut clip thing inside the quarter panel falls inside the quarter. I think I have it adjusted properly. The old striker had two slim shims behind it that I didn't reuse. Seems to work ok. It's weird, if I move the striker inward, it's hard to close the door, but (And this is the part I don't understand....) if I move the striker outward, the door becomes very hard to open. I sort of have it at a happy medium right now. The body lines are very close to being straight too.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

For some reason I always have the hardest time getting them aligned. The first time I did it it was nearly impossible to get open, I had to kick it open from the inside lol. It seems like it's just a lot of fiddling and pure luck to get it opening and closing right, while still maintaining the proper body lines

Yep. I hit that happy medium and stopped trying to make it better. It works good enough. I'll tackle the passenger door another day.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

.....and I already did the hatch striker about 2 years ago. I need to do weatherstripping, struts, and rubber bumpers on it yet.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L