Close

Default Recommend replacement rotors , drums, etc on 86

Everything on my car is crusty orignal. Want to start fresh with new rotors/drums. Checked out late model resto and didn't see much for the 86. Gonna stay 4 lug. My friend just put on his lift and said should get new drums and back plate rebuild ? Where do I find these ?

Easy to upgrade 87&up? Anyone offer a kit ?

Thank you.

Mcparts stores stock rotors that will work on your 86. In my experience having an 86 and driving it hard for many years with stock brakes you don't want the thick rotors they came with factory as they retain too much heat.

The 87-93 4cyl LX rotors are the same diameter as 86GT. They take the same inner and outer bearings and seals as what's needed with a stock 86GT / 86LX 5.0 spindle. I will caution you that every single time I've tried to get new inner bearings and seal for an 86GT the parts stores give me the ones for 87-93GT -- which are wrong.

Your calipers or new ones from the parts store for an 86GT are correct. Be sure to polish up the pins or get new for 87-93LX 4cyl - the ones they will try to give you otherwise are wrong.

Performance friction pads for 87-93 4cyl LX work great with these.

As for rear drums originals often have cooling find while most aftermarket drums do not. Bead blast them and have them machined. Check the hydraulic pieces- if they aren't rusted badly and leaking they are fine.

Get spring kits. See if you need adjusters, etc. Usually your backers are fine.

This is my experience. I've owned my 86 for 25 years and have done countless brake jobs because I had a habit of driving way too fast at one time. 3500-4000 in 5th got to be routine at times - luckily I lived to tell about it and didn't hurt anyone in the process.

That said I have two entire boxes of 86 brake parts including spindles, rotors, brearings, calipers, lines, etc - off two different 86's I've helped convert to 5 lug with upgraded four wheel disc brakes. One sports 99GT parts up front while the other has 2004 Cobra gear. Both have 95 rear discs. One has a complete 95 rearend while the other has the adapter brackets on a fox rear. the one with the SN95 rear will be put back to fox with the brackets eventually.

4 wheel disc is very much worth the investment IMO. I have a few go fast goodies on my 86 and I am completely certain I would have piled it if I had left the brakes stock.

as an option.... I stayed with all Ford stuff. I did the spindle swap to a 87-93 GT front spindle and 11" rotors, and 88 T Bird 10" drums. I found the backing plates off a 80 Fairmount wagon in a yard. If I'm not mistaken, the 7.5" and 8.8" backing plates are the same. Plus, the wheel cylinder is the same bore (3/4"), so it doesn't mess with brake bias. My two cents...
    Have
    86 Coupe LX Conversion 5.0 5spd
    70 Mustang Conv. My 1st car. Still have it.
    70 Ranchero 302 Auto
    07 Focus daily driver

Totaled
    70 Ranchero 351C Auto
    85 Coupe 1 of 62 Sand Beige