Close

Default Selecting the right brake booster on 1986 GT

The factory booster seems to have given way on my sons 1986 GT convertible. the symptoms we are seeing is massive pedal effort during braking and a big vacuum leak sound inside the car. It's idling 1000+ rpm higher than usual too.

We plan to eventually upgrade the brakes but for now it is stock save the performance friction pads.

Whats the best place to get a good quality fox brake booster?

I believe I know the answer but am looking for the detail I missed -- What is the correct procedure for swapping it out?

Im currently looking at Part No.50-3208 from advance mcparts which is a combo master cyl and booster. I am concerned about quality as I don't want to do the swap twice. Is that a decent booster? How about the master cyl - keep the stock one or replace? Proportioning valve - gut and go adjustable now or wait until rear disc conversion?

I got over 400K out of my stock master cyl and booster on my 86. My booster is still running my upgraded brake setup today. My old 7/8" bore stock MC is in my brake parts box along with everything else same as what's provided from the factory for stopping.

Working on my sons daily driver so I'm soliciting opinions. Thanks for the input!
    Last edited by erratic50; 05-03-2017 at 03:19 AM.

FEP Supporter

FWIW I installed a Wearever booster from Advance on my '90 LX 5.0 vert (didn't have a problem with the master) and it seems fine. Haven't put many miles on it though.

I did have to make an adjustment to the push rod length as there seemed to be a difference somewhere between the stocker and the replacement. Don't know if that would be an issue with the master pre-installed on the booster but I thought it was worth mentioning.
    '85 GT