Close

Default 1986 Mustang battery cables

It seems that the battery cables for the '86 LX 5.0 (coupe) must be different somehow from all other cables. Looking at LMR and CJ's, they list parts through '85 and then from '87 up. Anyone have part #'s for the correct cables? LMR sells a kit consisting of the cables, tray and hardware that it says fit '86 and up. But the individual positive cable that they list says that it's for '87 and up.
    Last edited by rose62; 05-02-2017 at 11:04 AM.

Looking in the Ford catalog, '86 shows to be for one year only. Part numbers E3SZ-14300-A for positive and E3SZ-14301-A for negative. If it's any help, it also fits the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe from 83 to 86. The negative is 32" long with a 6.5" long wire coming off of it. The positive cable is 21". I've started looking today for some cables myself, and that's the info I have. Can't find any of the OE cables anywhere, though.

Thank you Mike

anybody have correct part numbers for an 84 LX 5.0 Motorcraft battery cable set?

For an '84, my catalog only shows a universal 16" cable, D1PZ-14300-E. For the negative, automatic transmission EOZZ-14301-B 39.25" for a manual, D9ZZ-14301-C.

I need a pair of OEM 1986 battery cables as well. I was surprised that they are unavailable given the fox body support out there. I'd like to know how to get a repro supplier to take notice of our plight!

unless you need the exact stock part its easier/better to make your own. that's what I did for my gf's 86gt.

Quote Originally Posted by BDASPNY View Post
    unless you need the exact stock part its easier/better to make your own. that's what I did for my gf's 86gt.
    Agreed.

FEP Power Member

Try Ron Francis Wiring. He showed some interest in making some cables.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I ended up buying cables from delcity.net. They were relatively cheap, and had lengths very close to what I needed in the positive and exactly the right length in the negative. Seemed well made, too. The local parts stores didn't seem too interested in helping me find something close, tried to sell me something they had in stock. I guess I understand, but I didn't want a cable that was a whole lot longer for neatness sake.