Close

Default Question on upgrading brakes in a fairmont

I'm build a street/strip 78 fairmont futura and all the brakes are shot so I ripped every component and line out.
    I'm going to bend all new line but my question is the booster.
    Will a booster from a 94/95 mustang bolt up? I want to run that master cylinder is the bore is larger for the 96GT brake calipers I'm going to run.

Yes, the booster will fit, but you'll need to slot the lower passenger side hole and (ahem) "clearance" the strut tower.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Hes talkin Big Friendly Hammer. Your Ming the Merciless, Brad, how dare you....

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Hes talkin Big Friendly Hammer. Your Ming the Merciless, Brad, how dare you....
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Because most SN95 Mustangs have a different brake pedal ratio than a Fox Mustang, you normally don't want to use the m/c that came from the same application as the SN95 calipers that you are using did.

Any vacuum assisted m/c from a SN95 application will bolt directly to the Fox booster. There is normally no need to install the SN95 booster.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    Because most SN95 Mustangs have a different brake pedal ratio than a Fox Mustang, you normally don't want to use the m/c that came from the same application as the SN95 calipers that you are using did.
    What if you already did (and haven't driven it yet)? Will it drive like crap or what? Is swapping in the SN95 pedal an option? Sorry to derail...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Swapping in an SN95 brake pedal is not an option as the pivot point in the Fox pedal box will be in the incorrect location. Swapping the SN95 pedal box into a Fox will require a lot of work.

Post the make, model, submodel and year of every part in your brake system.
    Jack Hidley

Swapping in an SN95 brake pedal is not an option as the pivot point in the Fox pedal box will be in the incorrect location. Swapping the SN95 pedal box into a Fox will require a lot of work.

Post the make, model, submodel and year of every part in your brake system.
    Okay
    Master cylinder/booster: '94 V6
    Front calipers: '94-98 GT
    Rear calipers: '94-?? V6/GT (solid rotors)
    Prop valve: original Zephyr gutted with Ford Racing adjustable one added downstream.
    Hard Lines: 3/16 some '87-93, some original.
    All Hoses braided stainless.
    Brake pedal: '87-93

I had just swapped to make things match better because I'd been dissatisfied with my spongy pedal feel with SVO rear brakes and '99-04 GT fronts, grouped with the same '94 V6 master and booster.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Brad,

Other than requiring very little pedal force, that combination of parts will work fine, since the 1994-95 V6 Mustang has nearly the same pedal ratio as a Fox Mustang.
    Jack Hidley

Brad,

Other than requiring very little pedal force, that combination of parts will work fine, since the 1994-95 V6 Mustang has nearly the same pedal ratio as a Fox Mustang.
    Awesome, thanks.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST