Close

Default EGR Air Tube Bracket

Anyone know what this bracket attaches to? This is the air tube that runs from the Smog Pump to the Catalytic Converters on my '86 GT. My original air tube was bent like a pretzel by a prior owner. Bought this NOS tube and am ready to install. My original air tube also had this bracket, but it was snapped off about half way up. I've looked, but can find nowhere this bracket would attach to.

Name:  Picture1.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  202.9 KB

FEP Supporter

I think that would go on a stud that should be installed in the rear bolt hole of the #4 exhaust manifold flange.

Perhaps someone who knows for sure can chime in here.
    '85 GT

Yep, the rearmost factory header bolt on the passenger side has a stud sticking out the top of it, to hold
    the tube in place.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Ahh, that explains it. I have aftermarket headers, and thus aftermarket header bolts. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

I have JBAs on my '85 Hatch, but I was able to keep the one factory bolt, to support the air tube.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

av8vito

Do you have the part number for the tube you bought. I can just about read the code on the one in the picture but I can't read the first part. I need one for my 86 GT Automatic. Also, where did you buy it?

Anyone else with suggestions for purchase or have a good used one I can purchase. I also need one clamp for the exhaust pipe side as the car has a really poor homemade exhaust on it (which I plan to change) and the pipe is welded to a tube brazed into the exhaust pipe.

That part number you see is for the Valve Assembly (E8DE-9A487-AA). You must source it seperately from the Air Inlet Tube. Both are available from National Parts Depot. There are two Air Inlet Tubes available. One appears to be NOS (expensive) and the other a repro (less expensive). I got lucky and found a NOS one on Ebay at a reasonable price. The clamp that secures the Air Inlet Tube to the Catalytic Converter Inlet is also available from NPD, but I can't find it in their on-line catalog. It's clearly listed in their print catalog. The Valve Assembly was crimped onto the Air Inlet Tube at the factory. I suppose you can find someone with special crimping equipment to replicate this, but I just had a guy turn his welding gun down as low as it would go, and tack the Valve onto the Tube, worked like a champ. Good luck.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it. Do you know what the part number is for the tube? Looks like the valve is an 1988 piece with the E8 part number. I thought parts should be E6 or earlier. Think this is a replacement only part number? Mine is the same number but the tube fits over the end of the valve and is clamped on with the same clamp as at the cat. I've always thought mine was original but never checked the number until now. Now I'm not so sure. I've had a few of these valves and tubes over the years with other cars and never seen one crimped on. All had the clamp so you could change the valve without replacing the tube. However pretty hard to get the tube off when crimped by the clamp.

Actual piece I installed was a Motorcraft CX-760A. Coincides with the Ford part number I listed. Yes, E8 inidcates 1988. I had the original valve off my car and it looked the same as the CX-760A, so that's what I went with. Searching the interwebs, this is also the replacement part that seemed to best match the original. My original valve was definitely crimped on. Only had a clamp on the end at the cats.

Thanks again. I'll try and see what I can find. I looked on the National Parts Depot site and found the NOS type tube and valve and the clamp but no aftermarket. Definitely pricey. There have been a few local ones for sale on Craigslist so I think I'll try that route for now.

Here's the repro unit on NPD: [https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_tube_air_inlet_from_air_pump-168462-6121.html[/URL]. Lists for $51.00. Not bad, considering they're listing a NOS unit at $270. Picked my NOS unit up on Ebay for under $100. Only difference I can see between the NOS and repro is that the NOS has a foam sleeve on a bend where the pipe could rub against the firewall. Mine doesn't rub at all, so not sure the sleeve really matters. On the old tube I replaced, the foam sleeve had totally rotted away anyways.

Again, Thanks !! The repro price is really not that bad. I've seen used ones for that. I don't believe I've seen any in the past with the foam sleeve and I agree I don't think it matters. My problem is I'm in Canada so $ exchange rate and shipping can equal cost of the part. Usually figure X2 from US$. Sometimes I get parts shipped to a border drop off in the USA but then that takes at least 1/2 hour each way for pickup and that depends on border traffic which can sometimes be an hour each way. I notice that the repro part is a Standard Motor Products part, which is a major aftermarket part brand so I might be able to buy it locally from one of the auto parts stores here. Nice that NPD lists the part number. If I can get it locally that would be great.

For those who may be looking for one of these tubes I did some research and found a number of sources including NPD.

The part seems to be called a "convertor air pipe" as it supplies air from the smog pump to the cats.

Parts distributor sources and part numbers for these tubes include:

Standard Motor Products (SMP) AT174 (the part NPD sells) Rock Auto $50.38; Amazon $44.46 plus free shipping; Summit $42.97 (Looks like they have it in stock.
    Borg Warner (BWD) EC4302
    Polluction Control Industries (PCI) 133 Rock Auto $30.13

PCI direct appears to be the cheapest at $27.85. They have a website where you can check them out.

https://www.pciinc.com/shop-pci/133-...TANG-p61376420

Their website says "Replaces O.E. FOZZ-5F235-A" for 1990-94 Mustang but from what I have been able to determine they all seem to be the same for 1986-1993 at least and possibly 1994-95. Bottom line is that their appear to be a few options and suppliers. Quality?

PCi also have a number of parts such as hose, flexible stainless tubing, straight pipe, bungs and elbows if you are making adapters etc.

Seems like these are pretty standard pollution control devices. I checked locally at a couple of parts stores and found the part numbers are all good but no local stock. Not sure what I'll do as I found an original used one on the local Craigslist and bought it along with the valves and smog pump. Never know what you'll find out there.