Close

Default Differences in 1979 and 1983-89 radiator core supports

I have a 1979 mustang, the bottom of the radiator core support is severely rusted. I wanted to ask if there any major differences in the radiator core supports between 1979 and 1983-89 Mustangs. The only other option is a TeamZ lower radiator core support. I'm open to either option but would prefer to use the 83-89 supports. Thank you, Chris

TZM-FOX-RS
    This is the teamz support

Item #LRS-16138D

And this is a 1983-89 core support from LRS. Sorry I could post everything together.

FEP Senior Member

I just installed a Team Z lower support yesterday on my 1980 mustang and created a video for the installation. I should have it on YouTube soon (within the next couple of weeks). Pretty simple if you have a cutting tool and a welder.

I have never installed a complete core support though.
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

The issue with a repairing/replacing a radiator support in the Fox Mustang is that it's actual 3 replacement pieces spot welded together.

What you see offered is the main piece of the radiator support. The problem with replacement is that there are two pieces on the lower section of the radiator support on the back side at either corner. Essentially just below where the radiator support mates up to the frame rails. Each piece is L shaped going back towards the center of the support. Look closely at the backside of your Fox and you will see the separate pieces.

The two rear pieces are not reproduced at this time and therefore you have to reuse your original pieces or have donor pieces from another vehicle. The pieces are also the more difficult to remove without cause major damage or additional work to reuse them. Keep all that in mind.

As for the radiator support there are differences between the 79-82 and the 83-89. Most has to do with the lower section of the radiator support. Specifically the difference is the number of holes and the location of the holes. On the 79-82 cars the front bumper cover does not return all the way back to the radiator support. The 79 PC, 80/81 Cobra, and 82 GT have the separate lower air dam that attaches to the lower radiator support with some brackets and additional pieces, but that's about it.

The 83-89 cars all have the lower bumper cover extend back more and actually attach to the lower radiator support. That is one of the big reasons for the change in part number. Obviously the 83-86 cars use one type of bumper reinforcement mount (shock) and the 87-89 use a different one so that actually affects how the support is installed, but not a big deal.

If your lower is severely damaged then most likely you will want to either consider the Team Z lower (although you will have to add any additional mounting points needed or, possibly get some donor pieces from another early fox to make your repairs using the replacement radiator support. None of it is overly complicated, but it's not a simple swap either so keep that in mind. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I replaced the rad support in my 79 with the 83-89 version with no issues. The lower section of mine had suffered a pretty solid curb hit which was the reason for replacing it. Rust was not a problem, so i was able to straighten and keep the pieces at the corners Trey talked about. If I had been aware of the Team Z item, I would very likely have gone that route instead.

Name:  2014-10-26 11-56-06 - 02.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  190.8 KB

Name:  2014-10-26 11-56-16 - 03.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  205.8 KB

Name:  2014-10-26 13-43-39 - 05.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  204.2 KB

Name:  2014-10-26 13-43-50 - 06.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  206.0 KB

FEP Senior Member

This is the result of my work with the Team Z piece. As mentioned, pretty simple to do. I couldn't really find instructions (either video or written) to learn how to do it, but I did video all of my work. I'm just waiting for the OK from team Z to release it on YouTube as I did the work in partner with them. If you have a welder and something to cut with (I used a 3" cutting wheel), you can get it done in a few hours if you plan to paint it and let it dry along the way.

Attachment 111891