Close

Hybrid View

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Default Daniel Carpenter reproduction 79-84 side Mldg compared to NOS

Let me first say I have been wanting to compare these for a while.

I did not want to shell out money for the door Mldg. So, I saw that they have the Qtr Mldg for $24.00. I bought one.

This one is Ford Part D9ZZ-6129077 reproduction. It goes on the driver side Qtr Panel before the rear wheel.

First impression, made in China, don't like that. We will stop on that topic.

Out of the package. No stripes, up to user.

Ford NOS

Side by side Comparison. It looks like the NOS is larger. More on that in a minute.

Underside. No Metal strips on Reproduction

Thickness. The DC part is more rounded on top and bottom.

Same size they seem to be. Optical illusion before?

Here is the Reproduction on top of the NOS

Front

Rear

Conclusion. Not bad at all. The rubber seems good, wish they were not as rounded on top and bottom, but a keen eye would see that.

I am always happy that our Fox Mustang gets some Reproduction parts.

Would I use these, well I am fortunate to have a NOS set to use when my car is painted.

However, I would use these if I did not have my NOS ones.

There is a Pace Car I saw with these on that from the picture looked good.

If you go this route you will need some stripes. I am not sure if DC is making these, but you can get a 3M kit that will work well just pick your color. Orange is my color.

Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 04-29-2017 at 05:36 PM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

its crazy it looks so much small in the side by side comparison, but when laid on top almost identical. looks pretty good

Thanks for the assessment. I saw where you said above you were happy they even made repo parts so point taken there. BUT just to put things in perspective, my best friend has a 1989 Trans Am 350 GTA. There is just nothing available for it hardly. So as you said above, be THANKFUL we have what we have.
    That being said, I am really disappointed that they are made in China. The Dennis Carpenter facility and plant is about 2 miles from my house and they DO make tons of stuff here in the US and they employ a lot of local people too. It's a neat tour if you are ever in the area. They do admit to having to outsource some things to China though.
    On an unrelated note. The DC grounds is also where the Mustang Owner's Museum that is opening next year is located.
    Last edited by homer302; 04-29-2017 at 06:12 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Thanks David. Yours is the first comparison I have seen. I too am glad for repro parts, and glad to hear this one is "pretty good." These sure have been a long time coming.

I don't know anything about the manufacturing business, but maybe China is the only way they could make a business case for these items to be reproduced.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Quote Originally Posted by roush235 View Post
    Thanks David. Yours is the first comparison I have seen. I too am glad for repro parts, and glad to hear this one is "pretty good." These sure have been a long time coming.

I don't know anything about the manufacturing business, but maybe China is the only way they could make a business case for these items to be reproduced.
    I will second Bob's comments. I am very excited about suppliers like DC, continuing to invest in our hobby.

I know the Carpenter's produce quite a few parts on site, but it is true that they also outsource many others. I know, for example, Daniel had the SVO front bumper cover outsourced with the original Ford tooling that Daniel had acquired from Ford. (I actually purchased his NOS cover once he had completed the approval process.) I am sure that this is due to several factors including, volume, manufacturing process(s) required etc. A few years ago, about the same time KIA came to town, two Guardian Automotive trim plants and one automotive floor mat plant shut down. I had the opportunity to go inside two of these plants after the fact and was surprised to see parts in various stages of completion still in the machines, including Ford body mouldings. I wondered at that time, with the original Ford tooling, how hard would it have been to produce small runs of Fox mouldings...

What I don't understand, like the dash pad, a part is made that is "close" but not exact. I wonder why we can put so much effort into getting a part made, but not enough to get it right.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

nice comparison, thanks

Thanks for the write-up. Where did you get yours? I have not been able to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by jlehma13 View Post
    Thanks for the write-up. Where did you get yours? I have not been able to find them.
    Blue oval industries has them.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

I wonder why they aren't making the other yet. I see why the mouldings next to the bumper isn't made yet, but the rest should be no problem.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

This is the first I have seen the smaller between wheel moldings for the 79-84 being produced at all.

My original plan when I get around to painting my PC was to purchase a single spare door molding and then cut it up for the smaller 4 pieces between the wheels. As long as I don't screw up, there's enough material on one door molding to make the other four.

As for the quality of the DC Reproductions, I can't speak to the 79-84 at this time since I haven't seen them in person. It appears they have some of the same issues as the 85/86 moldings. That is that although they are close to the OEM pieces the angles and overall shape are just off a bit. Nothing terrible and again for the price I have no issues and will not hesitate to install them on my cars.

The shape differences IMHO have to do with cost reductions in order to be able to produce these parts, sell them at a price that many Mustang owners can/will pay and still be profitable. Many of the sharp lines and shapes have been softened or rounded over to make the molds easier to make and easier to get the parts out of. Draft and Draw in molded, stamped, and even hand laid composite parts is always an issue that has to be addressed otherwise you may have a perfect part that you can't remove from the mold without destroying either the mold or the part. The cost to make parts such as this with crisp lines and sharp curves is much more expensive due to either the actual mold construction (possible multiple piece molds) and or additional production steps to make them.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 04-30-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post

The shape differences IMHO have to do with cost reductions in order to be able to produce these parts, sell them at a price that many Mustang owners can/will pay and still be profitable.
    I did not want to go there, but yes I agree, cost is a major factor. It is a business after all, and DC must make a reasonable profit to stay in business. That is why he does not have plans to do another run of SVO headlights or inner markers at this time, just not enough demand to make it worth while. I don't like it, but I get it.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Being a numbers kind of guy, I would love to know the business case analysis for parts like these. I suspect it would scare us how much it takes to get a part back in production.... engineering, permitting, manufacturing, marketing, etc. And, how few items may actually end up being sold in a reasonable length of time. Not selling parts until x years later doesn't do much for creating a good rate of return.

I too wish the manufacturers would simply "make more good repro parts" (hint hint hood pad hint hint), but I conceptually understand the issues.

So, I'm glad to see the 16" TRX wheels seem to be selling well, if the info on this board is representative.

Thanks Trey for the detailed info.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

I actually looked into having the 79-84 side moldings reproduced a couple of times. I was looking at having them extrusion molded as that seemed to be the most cost effective option since I knew I would never be able to afford actual injection molding. I never got passed the initial cost phase of the project due to upfront costs, etc. Surprisingly the overall cost was reasonable IMHO and was something that I was seriously considering. The issue for me was the actual selling price point that seemed to be right around where the moldings are selling for right now. Yes, I would have made money, but honestly the risk to reward ratio was pretty high for me at the time. When I was ready to revisit reproducing the pieces the word was DC was coming out with them very soon (actually at least 2 years later! ) but I didn't want to risk having a product that I either couldn't sell or have to sell at a loss.

Many years ago before DC reproduced the SVO lights, Jim Whelan of Motion Dynamics and myself looked into having new molds made to reproduce all 6 lights. He knew the owner of the original Ford molds, but he wasn't ready to let anyone use or buy them at that time. Needless to say we never got off the ground on that one when the cost of having injection molds made in China/Taiwan came back at $30K per side. No way we could ever recover the initial cost, much less actually make any money. Unfortunately making good quality auto parts is extremely expensive, especially when you are talking about low production vehicles or just low overall sales volumes. When you can sell 100,000 pieces or more the profit potential become much more lucrative.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Very nice write up. thanks.
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

The more rounded edges look more like areo fox moldings yo me. They sort if look like hybrid moldings of older in the middle and newer on the outside.

i have a set of 85/86 dc moldings. the door mouldings are not good at all. I paid $75 each. when you look down the side of the car you can see that it is very wavy.

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Here is a DC set that was installed on 'Prestige Auto Body's' Pace Car

Here is his restoration process. Nice job!

http://pix.sfly.com/E7g0AwCu

These are original Door Moldings

Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 05-16-2017 at 07:22 AM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Quote Originally Posted by 79mustangcobra View Post
    Here is a DC set that was installed on 'Prestige Auto Body's' Pace Car

http://pix.sfly.com/E7g0AwCu

These are original Door Moldings

Now I see what you mean about the "rounded" profile of the reproductions.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Is it me or is the molding too short?

Car: 1986 Mustang GT Hatchback || 5.0L H.O. || Borg-Warner T5 || 171,000 Miles || 25 mpg

Mods: Bfg G-Force T/A KDW || K&N/silencer removed || Hood pins

Times: faster then a speeding Prius