Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Block numbers..can anyone tell what they are??

Name:  IMG_20170429_021053.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  102.3 KBName:  IMG_20170429_021053.jpg
Size:  102.3 KBName:  IMG_20170429_021314.jpg
Size:  155.5 KBName:  IMG_20170429_021156.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  163.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Kla73027

BlQQdy auto correct

K
    L
    A

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Kla73027

BlQQdy auto correct

K
    L
    A
    Thanks!! That's one I have written down also..but I've seen somewhere that it's only supposed to be 2 letters then 6 numbers..ugh, guess I'll try to clean it up a lil more and see if anything shows up better��

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChasis on stangnet
    It is out of a 1989 truck
    The letter in the 1st position of the CUN means its from a truck.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    The letter in the 1st position of the CUN means its from a truck.
    Thanks FoxChassis.. What is CUN? And I know its an engineered block for a truck because of the E7TE in this pic..but doesn't necessarily mean it came out of a truck. Was hoping to figure out the partial Vin/serial stamp at back of block to figure out if it is standard V8 or H.O.
    Cylinder heads are off and sparky wires are unhooked..is there another way of telling if it's H.O. or not??Name:  IMG_20170429_021613.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  180.6 KB

CUN = consecutive unit number, i.e. the last six of the VIN or "serial number"
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Trucks did not have a "H.O." 5.0L engine that year. That engine was rated at 185 HP and 270 torque. The 460 in the trucks that year had the same HP rating as the H.0. 5.0L in the Mustang!
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Trucks did not have a "H.O." 5.0L engine that year. That engine was rated at 185 HP and 270 torque. The 460 in the trucks that year had the same HP rating as the H.0. 5.0L in the Mustang!
    Ahhh..see, now that's info and knowledge! No one else has said more than 'it come out of a 89 truck' So I need a gasket set for a standard 302 5.0.. Thanks again FoxChassis!! And I want to ask what do you think that stamp actually reads? Mis-stamp maybe? I appreciate all your help!!

It is not a mis-stamp. KLA73027 could be a legit last eight of a 1989 truck VIN. I might be able to figure out the whole VIN but I'd need a little help.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

1FTEF14N7KLA73027

1FT = truck (complete vehicle) manufactured in USA by Ford motor Company
    E = 6001-7000 lbs gross vehicle weight
    F = regular cab
    14 = F-150 4-wheel drive
    N = 5.0L V8 EFI gasoline
    7 = VIN check digit
    K = 1989 model year
    L = Wayne Assembly Plant
    A73027 = consecutive unit number
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

1FTEF14N7KLA73027

1FT = truck (complete vehicle) manufactured in USA by Ford motor Company
    E = 6001-7000 lbs gross vehicle weight
    F = regular cab
    14 = F-150 4-wheel drive
    N = 5.0L V8 EFI gasoline
    7 = VIN check digit
    K = 1989 model year
    L = Wayne Assembly Plant
    A73027 = consecutive unit number
    Thanks again, FoxChassis!!

John Kirkland, the above is a little trick that Mic likes to do, he graciously did it for me when I was trying to find out why my vin 1FABP10B4CF109967 was registered as a 1983 Hatchback. Given just this,

Mic then released the hounds.

He asked me two funny questions, then knowing it had an engine number Engine No BR101037, but no door tag, and clearly, a wrong VIN code dash stamp on the body....

Right away, Presto, Mic told me from his data that that engine belonged this this VIN, 1FABP15BXBR101037.

A little trick was to pop the PE passenger side wheel liner, and pull the frame horn down, and use a mirror to get a reversed image of the CUN number. You need a flash light source, and then to be able to flip and rotate the image.

First this....

then this..

Then this after a flip and rotate in Paint....R101037 R for Dearborn 101037 for engine code

Up on the 42 inch TV with my sons HDMI cable to the lap top, and wamo

Frame horns confirmed the plant and CUN number, then we found the buck code in the front right where Mic said it'd be, and there we are.

Mic even knew what happened to 1FABP10B4CF109967. It wasn't stolen, it might have had a plant mishap.

You don't get freebies like that very often. Way to go Mic!

You'd be suprised how much can be determined by his sluth work.

It is not a mis-stamp. KLA73027 could be a legit last eight of a 1989 truck VIN. I might be able to figure out the whole VIN but I'd need a little help.
    I'll help with whatever I can!! Another question about the CUN..I was told it should be 2 letters then 6 numbers..is this myth? That's why I asked the original post because I saw 3 letters and 5 numbers(is that an actual A?). Also in the stamp, the angles appear different for the 7s in 73027..Name:  IMG_20170429_021126.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  94.2 KB

Then again, it could be jus my eyes..lmao
    And I have the VIN for the chassis..it is an 82 GT H.O.

Whatever I can do to help, jus lemme know. More pics of anything else needed??

Thanks x!!

I've seen some quirky stuff with the number punchings. Fox Chassis says often that it is common for some or all of the characters to not be stamped completely, or sometimes not at all.

I've often thought of tracking down engines by the frame CUN number....do you know where your cars old engine is, or what happened to it?

One guy here posted his engine code, and another guy had the car it came from....

Quote Originally Posted by ApplegateRacing View Post
    I own the car with this vin lol

Anyway, IIRC, Passenger car CUNs had the two/six code, truck CUNs three/five

Here's another Mick party Trick.....

If it is HX613324 it is a 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4-door sedan. Full VIN would be 2MEBM75F1HX613324.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis
    2ME = Mercury vehicle manufactured in Canada by Ford Motor Company
    B = active restraints
    M = Mercury passenger car
    75 = Marquis LS 4-door sedan
    F = 5.0L V8 engine
    1 = VIN check digit
    H = 1987 model year
    X = St. Thomas Assembly
    613324 = 13,324th Mercury scheduled for production at St. Thomas Assembly
    If anybody wants to know out how to figure out a full VIN from a partial that is stamped on a block, and you don't know what it's originally from, I can show you how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kirkland View Post
    I'll help with whatever I can!!
    What I needed help with is figuring out what the first eight characters in this VIN could be. I know Fox VINs but that's about it. I have to scrounge around the Internet for what VIN codes from other vehicles could be. I got bored on Sunday so I set out to figure it out, and I did

Quote Originally Posted by John Kirkland View Post
    Another question about the CUN..I was told it should be 2 letters then 6 numbers..is this myth? That's why I asked the original post because I saw 3 letters and 5 numbers(is that an actual A?).
    Passenger car CUNs and truck CUNs are different. As soon as I knew the third character was a letter I knew the block was from a truck or van.

Name:  CUN.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  45.9 KB

Sometimes Lincoln/Mercury passenger car CUNs started at 500001.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 05-02-2017 at 07:37 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Thanks again guys..I really appreciate it!! Parts are ordered, so shouldn't be long before she's back in the wind! I did clean the stamp a lil better..one last pic lmaoName:  IMG_20170502_100746.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  139.6 KBName:  IMG_20170502_090945.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  111.3 KB
    82' Mustang GT (1st Mustang ever~got it
    7/04/2016)
    (1989 5.0 engine/carbed)~work in progress
    8.8 w/3.73
    Hotchkis rear uppers and lowers
    Eibach Street springs
    Chrome 16" Ponies
    Last owner put euro taillights in..UGH!! Always on the
    lookout for originals!!

I'd be glad to explain how I come up with the complete VIN of the original vehicle that these blocks come out of. For Foxes it's easy for me because I know the VIN codes for them, so it takes little work to figure out. Other vehicles not so much because I don't know the VIN codes for them. Figuring those out is a convoluted process but it works.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I'd be glad to explain how I come up with the complete VIN of the original vehicle that these blocks come out of. For Foxes it's easy for me because I know the VIN codes for them, so it takes little work to figure out. Other vehicles not so much because I don't know the VIN codes for them. Figuring those out is a convoluted process but it works.
    Please do!! I wasn't sure if there may already be a thread for it
    7/04/2016)
    8.8 w/3.73
    Eibach Street springs
    Chrome 16" Ponies
    lookout for originals!!

Or not..lmao
    7/04/2016)
    8.8 w/3.73
    Eibach Street springs
    Chrome 16" Ponies
    lookout for originals!!

I had a reply ready to go then the site bombed lol
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I had a reply ready to go then the site bombed lol
    Lmao!!
    7/04/2016)
    8.8 w/3.73
    Eibach Street springs
    Chrome 16" Ponies
    lookout for originals!!

First I will outline the steps, in general, that I take to figure out a VIN, then I will go through those steps to show how I figured out this VIN.

1. The most import thing is the VIN on the block or transmission has to be complete and legible. If any of the eight characters are missing or illegible forget about figuring out the rest.
    2. Break apart those eight characters. The first character is the model year. The second character is the assembly plant. The last six characters are the sequence number. Model year codes are 8 = 1968/78, 9 = 1969/79, 0 = 1970/80, B = 1981, C = 1982, and so. The letters I, O, Q, and Z are not used.
    3. Take the assembly plant code and find it on the "List of Ford Factories" at Wikipedia then go to that assembly plant's own page for a list of past models. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_factories
    4. Now comes the hard part...figuring out the third, fourth, and fifth characters of an 11-digit VIN (1980 and earlier) or the first eight characters of a 17-character VIN (1981 and later).
      • For the short VIN it's the body code (characters 3-4) and the engine code (5).
      • For the long VIN it's the world manufacturer identifier (characters 1-3), the restraint type or chassis rating (4), the vehicle type (5), the body code (6-7), and the engine code (8). The check digit (9) will come last.

5. Find a bunch of different examples of similar model year/models for sale on ebay, autotrader, cars.com, etc. and note their first eight characters. Use those examples to fill out all possibilities of the mystery VIN.
    6. For 11-character VINs there is no easy way to figure out which of the list of possibilities it actually is so no need to go any further in these steps.
    7. Calculate the 17-character VIN check digit for all of the possible VINs. A 'check digit calculator' is here: http://foxchassis.com/vins/VIN_Check...alculator.xlsx
    8. Run all of the valid 17-characters VINs through a vehicle history report check and keep the one that has at least 1 record. That's the VIN.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 05-09-2017 at 07:01 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Now on to how I figured out the VIN for this truck block....

Having the partial VIN (---------KLA73027) I knew that 1) the model year was 1989 (K) and 2) the sequence number starting with the letter "A" was a truck or van. What I did not know was the assembly plant code (L).

I went to 'List of Ford Factories' at Wikipedia and saw that the L plant code was Michigan Assembly Plant (Wayne, Michigan) so I went to that plant's page. The list of 'past' models at Michigan Assembly Plant did not show E-series (vans) or F-series (trucks) so instead I searched for 'Ford F-Series' on Wikipedia, followed the link to the 'Eighth Generation (1987-1991)', and then the link to the 'main article' for that generation. On the 'Eighth Generation (1987-1991)' page I saw that one of the assembly plant was in Wayne, Michigan. Now I know it was a 1989 truck produced in the US so the VIN starts with "1F" (USA, Ford Motor Company). So now I know the partial VIN is 1F-------KLA73027.

Now I need to figure out if it's a complete or incomplete vehicle, the gross vehicle weight, F-150, F-250, etc, Regular car or Extended cab, 2WD or 4WD, and the engine code. To keep the madness to a minimum I made an assumption that it was a complete vehicle (VIN beginning with 1FT), and that the model was an F-150 or F-250. I also assumed the engine block was a 5.0L. So I Googled "1989" F-150 VIN codes. The first few pages gave me incorrect drivetrain codes because they were for newer models. I figured this out when vehicle history checks kept telling me I had bad VINs. Then I came across the correct codes specifically for eighth generation F150/250. This is what the page listed:

• GVWR - 'C' through 'H' (4001-9000 lb)
    • cab type - 'F' (Reg. cab) or 'X' (Ext. cab)
    • model/drivetrain - '14' (F-150 4WD), '15' (F-150 2WD), '25' (F-250 2WD), or '26' (F-250 4WD)
    • engine - 'N' (5.0L, gasoline, EFI)

So now I know the partial VIN is 1FT----N-KLA73207. I open the check digit calculator and enter those characters in their respective columns.

I then changed characters 4-7 to first possible GVWR/cab type/model-drivetrain combo, let the check digit be calculated, and pasted that VIN to notepad. Then I changed to the next combo and copied that VIN. An so on until I had all 28 possible unique VINs.

Lastly I pasted each VIN to a vehicle history report site until I found the first one that didn't have '0 records'. 1FTEF14N7KLA73027 was that VIN.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 05-09-2017 at 01:12 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Just tried that with the number I've got here and couldn't find the plant (No z plant ?)

The block code is 8Z631682
    1981 Mustang Hatch 3.3 "Orange Juice"
    1983 Mustang GT Convertible "Triple Black"
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast