Close

Default 20th Front and rear body moldings

Are they the same as the 84 or are the specific to the Anny?

The front and rear body side moldings that mate up with the front and rear bumpers covers are standard 84 Mustang pieces. These pieces are the same for 79-84 Mustangs. You can also use the rear pieces from 79-82 Mercury Capris.

The moldings between the wheels are specific to the 84 Anny edition in regards to the Maroon/Red color. The actual trim is the same as the 84-86 SVO IIRC.

Hope that helps!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Wraith might prove me wrong (and likely WILL, haha) but I don't believe that is true. I believe the Anniversary moldings are molded out of white material, not black material that is painted white. I know when I had my 20th many moons ago it was my daily driver and those moldings went through all sorts o stuff like nicks and door impacts and I never saw a speck of black or chip in the white. In fact, the white turned yellow constantly.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Wraith might prove me wrong (and likely WILL, haha) but I don't believe that is true. I believe the Anniversary moldings are molded out of white material, not black material that is painted white. I know when I had my 20th many moons ago it was my daily driver and those moldings went through all sorts o stuff like nicks and door impacts and I never saw a speck of black or chip in the white. In fact, the white turned yellow constantly.

You may be correct in regards to the material the moldings are made of. I have never owned an Anniversary model, so I am not 100% sure. I do know that the shape of the molding next to the bumpers is the same as the standard moldings, so you could make the swap and not have any issues. Obviously you will need to paint to match, but shape and look wise they are interchangeable.

Same goes for the thin rub strip between the wheels. My understanding is that is the same trim as the SVO, just molded in the red/maroon color rather than grey. Hope that clarifies what I know!

Honestly it would make sense for Ford to mold them in white since they made so many of that specific model and it saved them from having to paint them.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

hello to all. newer member here with a gt 350 where can I find this elusive side molding?

Quote Originally Posted by 605dakota View Post
    hello to all. newer member here with a gt 350 where can I find this elusive side molding?
    None of the GT350 specific side moldings are reproduced at this time. As stated above you can use the standard 79-84 front and rear moldings to replace your moldings as needed, but will require painting to match. The thin molding between the wheels is not available for the GT350 nor the SVO. Your best option at this time would be a similar shaped generic body side molding available from online vendors or your local autobody supply store. Good luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

HI ALL GT350 owner here I have read a few articles on the thin gt350 door moldings saying to remove the thin metal strip on the back of said moldings clean them with every thing dry for paint . then let sit in warm climate they will not curl then use the good 3m double sided tape and reinstall.
    I have not done this but seen article in a few forums ??

The issue often with the OEM moldings when removing the metal backing is that is can allow shrinkage in the overall length of the molding. I know this is true with the regular Mustang/Fox body side moldings. I am not 100% on the thin between the wheels moldings used on the GT350 and the SVO. I would just be aware of this before actually removing the metal backing. I have had good success making a type of plug for the moldings out of MDF. Then placing the items in the hot sun to soften, then placing them between two pieces of MDF molds that will hold the molding straight, flat, and true without crushing or damaging them. Then I place some additional weight on the top board and allow to sit for several days to a week. If you can leave them out in the sun/heat that helps too. After that they are usually pretty flat and true. After that I install new 3M VHB tape and install immediately on the vehicle or if install will be delayed, I place them back in the molds until ready for install.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller