Close

Default Project Stranger Build

Hey guys, I figured I'd start a build thread just as a way to document my progress, to get ideas from some of you, and maybe share a couple ideas as well.

Here is the backstory, I purchased this car in June of 2015 as soon as I graduated high school(as a self graduation gift lol), I had a 1993 2.3 Mustang, but had always lusted over a Four Eyed 5.0, The rough specs were a stock bottom end, aluminum heads(probably Chinese), Cobra intake, a couple other bolt ons, a Aod Transmission, and 3.73 gears. It is by no means a show car, but I've seen a lot worse. I daily drove this car for a couple months before problem after problem started happening with the electrical system, so I started driving the 1993 again, well a couple of days later the 1993 got side swiped and totaled, so I was stuck with this being my only car, drove it around for a couple days, and everything was fine, then all of a sudden, cruising on the highway cylinder 1 dropped the intake valve and completely chewed the piston and head up and bent the rod. So I parked it in the drive way and bought a jeep. The Mustang just sat untouched for the majority of 2016.

Jump cut to the end of summer 2016, I pulled the Motor and Trans, and completely stripped the engine bay, I also completely gutted the interior. I wanted a complete blank canvas. My goal is a nice cruiser that I can occasionally take to the strip or auto cross and just have fun with. I'm not looking for crazy power, just something fun. It's not going to be stock, but I also don't want to change the character of the car.

The motor has been bored 20 over and I put forged pistons w/ valve reliefs in it, and a basic b303 cam. Still don't know what heads I'll use. But I'm keeping the cobra intake. I plan on some what shaving the engine bay with Scott rod panels. And using a new Ford Racing Engine harness.

The interior has has been completely sound deadened with fatmat rattletrap(ended up using 100 feet), I've re-painted most of the interior panels with Sem Napa red, new carpet, seat belt covers, etc. The interior needed a lot of love.

Well Ill stop blabbing, and start posting some pics of my progress so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by kpippin1986; 04-28-2017 at 10:36 PM.

As she sits today

I still can't figure out why some of these pictures are sideways, they're all rightside up on my phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Cool car with a cool story. Good luck with the build. Sound like it will be a fun ride! Look forward to seeing the progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Good luck. Looks like nice progress so far. Post pictures and updates periodically.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Good luck with your car...it's looking good so far!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Mike

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I just finished up painting all the black interior trim today. I didn't realize how bad it was actually faded until I started spraying the first coat on, it was a night and day difference

Thought I'd post a few picture of the valve and piston that got me into this whole deal to begin with

Ouch!! That sucked!

--86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

That is not goodName:  IMG_0322.JPG
Views: 328
Size:  39.3 KB

I'm definitely taking the time to build this motor right, i pick some pistons that had pretty generous valve reliefs compared to the stock no relief pistons. And I plan on using name brand heads and rocker arms, instead of the Chinese eBay special stuff the previous owner used.

Just got a E-Brake boot from redline goods in the mail. definitely makes the interior feel a bit classier.

Progress is slow, and I'm just doing little things in the meantime. New Repo center console arm rest, it's not bad, but the color seems a little darker than mine, and it's all one piece instead of having a plastic base. Probably not a big deal, but only time will tell. Also put new pedal pads on the clutch and brake pedals

Quote Originally Posted by kpippin1986 View Post
    Just got a E-Brake boot from redline goods in the mail. definitely makes the interior feel a bit classier.
    That looks great. I have been looking to do a custom shifter and e-brake boot in my 79 and went to their we site to check them out. I was able to specify exactly what I was looking for and for a lot less than I could mess around making them or having someone make them locally.

FEP Power Member

E brake boot looks great, any details on how to install it?
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Terrific project! I love it inside AND out. As soon as I read where you said you pulled the interior out I was thinking, here we go. Another black conversion but you kept the red! I like it a lot. Seems like you picked a great car to start with. Sucks about your engine bad luck though. I wouldn't sweat the Chinese heads too much if it's all you can afford. I understand that. The Cobra intake is Chinese anyway so what can you do? I personally think it would be cool to get some USA made Edelbrocks since they aren't the most expensive ones going but I totally understand you have to live within your means and budget for this project.
    Last edited by homer302; 05-19-2017 at 05:45 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

ZEN50, I just used Velcro to attach the e-brake boot to the bezel, it's nice knowing I can take it off it I want and go back to stock. To get the boot over the handle though, you're going to have to pull the "grip" part of the handle off.

Homer, I appreciate the approval, I don't know why everyone hates the red, to me it's the most of the era interior color. And I'm using the engine problems as an excuse to make it better than before. I'm planning on getting either the edelbrocks or trickflow heads, I'm not too worried about the price, Im 20 so I have nothing but time, so I'm definitely in no rush and figure if I can't afford it I'll just save until I can.

Nice work.

Sounds like you have an excellent plan and attitude for a great build!!

--Bill

Well you guys, I ended up enlisting in the Air Force, so the project is going to be put on hold for a little while. Definitely not getting rid of her, and plan on still buying parts and working on her when I get the chance.

Congrats on the Air Force. My youngest son is in the Air Force, currently ROTC at Drexel. His car plans are in hold also till he gets his career established.

--Bill