Close

Thread: Hatch blind?

Default Hatch blind?

So what do you call that blind like thing that pulls over your hatch behind the rear seats? I've seen a few and it would be something cool to have. I just want to know what it's called so I can look it up and order one if possible. Thanks fellows.

FEP Super Member

It is a hatch shade , and sorry to tell you, you can't just order one.
    You might look through the for sale section, and see if someone has one for sale .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

It is called "cargo area cover". It was new for 1980 and was optional from 1980 through 1982. It was standard starting in 1983.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

On Ebay, use the following search:
    mustang (hatch,cargo) (cover,shade)

Hopefully, this link works:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?&_nkw...de%29&_sacat=0

Note that the 4-eye shades are different than the 87+ shades. Iirc, they are different lengths.

I think that if a person had hardware from the one they need (that is an 4-eye), then they can put the shade portion on from an 87+ shade. That would allow for a color change, or to go to one that isn't faded.

Good Luck!

ebay or craigslist for a guy stripping a fox or selling parts are your best bets... roy

Be very careful when looking for a hatch cover. I have one in my 84 SVO, one in an 88 LX, and one on my wifes 91 LX. They are all different and are NOT interchangeable. The inner quarter panels are different styles and shaped different making the shades all different lengths. So your best bet is to find all the correct hardware and parts for whatever year you are working on.
    They are nice to have unless you have your rear seats down a lot to carry long things like a canopy to car shows. Then its just in the way.