Close

Default Pulled Cluster, now Temp and Fuel are pegged

In my '86 GT. Likely a short or wiring in the cluster (separated contact from the ribbon circuit?), but thought I'd ask here if the cluster has a ground and where is it grounded from.

Im sure I messed something up, I pulled my cluster to paint the needles and install gauge overlays, plugged it back in without screwing it down to test it and the fuel gauge climbs, pegged way past full, same as temp (engine was not even running) and pegged it past the red.

Cluster was perfect until I decided to remove it to clean it up, so I know I caused it. Where is the cluster getting the ground? Do I have to screw in the cluster to the dash to make ground? I figured ground was part of one of the 2 connections (cant be that simple)

Thanks all!

The printed circuit board that the harness connector plugs into likes to delaminate and the foil like metal can get crushed and end up crossing circuits. Unfortunately, you will have to pull the cluster again to check

Quote Originally Posted by boboli View Post
    The printed circuit board that the harness connector plugs into likes to delaminate and the foil like metal can get crushed and end up crossing circuits. Unfortunately, you will have to pull the cluster again to check
    Thats what it was. Had to take it in and out a few times, glue down a contact, clean them...all works like it should now!

Great. I've seen this happen more on other brands ( namely a Jaguar I own) but I'm sure 30+ yr old parts will all be suseptable to this. It was pretty obvious what the problem was from your description.
    Congratulations on an easy fix