Close

Default 3.3 fairmont '(re-)build'

Hi,
    I have a 3.3 inline six from 81 i'm planning to rebuild and modify abit:
    I was thinking about putting EFI and turbo on a rebuild but original engine, electric fans, discard the airco if necessary for placing the turbo.
    I wonder if there is anyone who has turboed a 3.3 before, what boost pressure it runs at and how it holds. should i go turbo and intercooler or just turbo and are there cars i should salvage a turbo from or buy a universal kit on amazon?
    Any suggestions are welcome.

I'm looking for better driveability (88hp is little low for the streets here) and better mpg + less emission.

Quote Originally Posted by johny89 View Post
    Hi,
    I have a 3.3 inline six from 81 i'm planning to rebuild and modify abit:
    I was thinking about putting EFI and turbo on a rebuild but original engine, electric fans, discard the airco if necessary for placing the turbo.
    I wonder if there is anyone who has turboed a 3.3 before, what boost pressure it runs at and how it holds. should i go turbo and intercooler or just turbo and are there cars i should salvage a turbo from or buy a universal kit on amazon?
    Any suggestions are welcome.

I'm looking for better driveability (88hp is little low for the streets here) and better mpg + less emission.
    https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=74307

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-I1eOp...ature=youtu.be

Lots of difficulty, there is a reason these engines are used to stop barn doors flyin' open in a tornado...

Thank you for the links. Even though I don't like the way the exhaust looks it did got me thinking of trying to use the fueling system of a 300 on the car. That with som turbo but I have to make it look stock so I try with the design of the 2.3 turbo manifold and fabrikant something in that direction.

Hi, do you have the original air cleaner assembly??

From the 300? Or the 200? The 300 I have half of it but fabricated the other half of the box to look original, the fairmont came with a spare one.

Cool thread on the turbo inline six. I'll be watching that one.

Quote Originally Posted by johny89 View Post
    From the 300? Or the 200? The 300 I have half of it but fabricated the other half of the box to look original, the fairmont came with a spare one.
    From the 200, I need the same air cleaner in the image below
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by scranton; 04-28-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Derangedfords90, a member here, and a really awesome guy. 101 to turboing a 3.3!

I guess turboing a 200 puts this marine on "Active Duty", yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Derangedfords90 View Post
    Thanks guys. Yes I'm active duty Marines. I wish I had seen that Capri! I picked up a Ford Lightning that I might have traded if the price was right.

New plan is to budget boost the 200. I already picked up an autolite 2100 (from a 66 mustang 289, has the code tag still) for $20. The rebuild kit was more expensive than the carb.

I've been studying fordsix forums a bit and here are my goals.

-150whp (max)
    -10psi max (6psi norm)
    -keep the c3. I picked up a transgo kit to beef it up a little, but that's why I don't want to go crazy on the power.
    -Maintain the A/C

What I have so far
    -Carb
    -Wideband

What I plan to fab:
    -2 to 1 carb adapter from plywood
    -hot side from the factory exhaust
    -possibly cold side (maybe nonintercooled)

What I need to buy
    -turbo
    -289 valvesprings? Not sure if I honestly need them

https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=75863

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Derangedfords90
    Small update, and a bit of a sad one at that. The engine has developed a noise. Without pulling it apart I can only speculate that I may have butted a ring. So, unfortunately I will be pulling it and swapping the 351w I have on the stand in it, only because I have it. I will be pulling it apart and looking for what happened in the name of science, and if the damage is not horrible will probably rebuild it. I think I'm going to keep it to put into a bronco II or ranger. Probably do some sort of EFI system and put some more boost to it next time. Thanks all for the help! Updates to what happen will follow this post!

I'm a Lava Luva not a hater...

Buy one of these bro' Six Shooter mortif

Lincs200, Does10s, First Fox, and now Re-arangedfords90!

I feel like I'm aiding an abetting both sides of the fight here, either option will be the coolest!