Close

Default Cobra color/hood decal combo

Hey guys, just a quick question about the hood decal. Looking too get a new one to throw over a new coat of paint but I've found it very difficult to figure out exactly what color the decal was from the factory. My 1979 Cobra is darker blue so I'm pretty sure I need the yellow/black decal. I've been looking at phoenix graphix and they have orange, blue, green, and yellow. It's obviously either blue or yellow but I can't figure out if I order the blue one since my car is blue or the yellow one since I believe I need the yellow decal. Any help is appreciated. If people need some pictures I can have some up in a few days. Thanks!

3J Bright Blue Cobra = Black, Light Blue, Medium Blue
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

There were four Cobra decal color combos in 1979:

Black, Lime Green, Medium Green
    Black, Bright Red, Orange
    Black, Light Orange, Yellow
    Black, Light Blue, Medium Blue

Which one you got depended on paint color and interior trim color(s).
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Why do most of the pictures I've seen of blue Cobras have yellow hood decals and trim? Just their own style? Because my Cobra has two thin blue stripes around the middle of the car when most blue Cobras I've seen are yellow. The interior is all blue btw.

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealJZ94 View Post
    Why do most of the pictures I've seen of blue Cobras have yellow hood decals and trim? Just their own style? Because my Cobra has two thin blue stripes around the middle of the car when most blue Cobras I've seen are yellow. The interior is all blue btw.
    I know you have seen the car like this

It looks good, but it is not factory. The shade of blue is also wrong.

Factory would be like this, it is hard to see but the body moldings will have twin blue stripes there, not orange.

Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 04-26-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

According to the 1979 Ford Car Facts Book, Bright Blue (code 3J) was the only "blue" paint available on the 1979 Cobra. The other two blue paints available on all other 1979 Mustang models were Light Medium Blue (3F) and Medium Blue Glow (3H). I haven't seen any tags yet from a 1979 3F or 3H Cobra.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 04-26-2017 at 01:12 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Quote Originally Posted by 79mustangcobra View Post
    I know you have seen the car like this

It looks good, but it is not factory. The shade of blue is also wrong.

Factory would be like this, it is hard to see but the body moldings will have twin blue stripes there, not orange.

So from the factory what would the hood decal look like for the car in the second picture? I'm assuming blue to match the blue molding and also the blue seats, dash pad, carpet, and headliner. Seems like a whole lot of blue to me.

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealJZ94 View Post
    So from the factory what would the hood decal look like for the car in the second picture? I'm assuming blue to match the blue molding and also the blue seats, dash pad, carpet, and headliner. Seems like a whole lot of blue to me.
    Here is a Silver 79 with the Hood Decal

Here is a blue TA with a blue bird, I know it's not a Mustang, but it shows how they designed color schemes. It was Blue on Blue

Yours may of not came with a Hood Decal. These were optional. How you can find out is to get a Marti Report

Take care
    Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 04-26-2017 at 08:05 PM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371