Close

Default Duraspark? Unipoint? ?

I'm trying to get parts together to convert my 85 GT with HEI distributor back to a stock Ford distributor system. From schematics and pics online it looks like the module I have is nothing like the part I should have. Kind of lost here. I dont have anything under my hood that even resembles a duraspark unit. So im guessing this is a duraspark replacement. It says "Unipoint" on the box only has 3 wires going in and nothing coming out whatsoever. Nothing that would hook to the distributor??
    Name:  unipoint.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  63.7 KB

That looks like a voltage regulator to me. How about another pic not so close.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Blog Entries

That is a 1g voltage regulator, i believe.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

yes that's a voltage regulator was probably mounted on the core support.. the duraspark box used the kind of round looking plugs and was mounted near the strut tower with the coil .. I'm gathering stuff up to change mine back to duraspark and ford distributer and coil set up instead of the HEI that someone put in mine.... it does run ok .. just doesn't look great
    Last edited by fordstuff; 04-26-2017 at 06:53 AM.

fordstuff - with the HEI distributor does that mean we wont have duraspark modules? I sure cant seem to find one anywhere on my car. I have new 85 only distributor and coil ready to go in. I just need the right connections to make it all work.
    Does anyone know? Thanks in advance

yes you will need the duraspark box.. blue connector I think .. check the other post a little farther down for 85 HEI dist. It had a good reply.

yes you will need the duraspark box.. blue connector I think .. check the other post a little farther down for 85 HEI dist. It had a good reply.
    Im just hoping I still have the connectors and the PO didn't cut them. This car has been an electrical nightmare since I bought it because of stupid things the previous owner had done.

Connections from the car to the Duraspark box SHOULD be there somewhere, but you might have to buy or make the connections between the box and the distributor. Yes, what you have pictured is the voltage regulator for the charging system.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

if you have the duraspark box it will have the matching plugs on it that connect to the harness so you can see if yours still has them.... mine was all pulled over and stretched to the motor for the hei dist but luckily they are still there.. roy

Quote Originally Posted by doubleg View Post
    Im just hoping I still have the connectors and the PO didn't cut them. This car has been an electrical nightmare since I bought it because of stupid things the previous owner had done.