Close

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pace car build

FEP Senior Member

Default Pace car build

This is the start of my pace car build thread. I purchased this car in the 80's and sold it to my father in 1990. He owned it until he passed away and my uncle kept the car until last year. The deal was I had first right of refusal if he wanted to sell it. It sat in his unheated garage until last year when I purchased it back. The last 10 years were not kind to it [even though it looked good from 10' away] and it's now time for a rebuild.

I started on the build a few months ago and will slowly add updated as time permits.

The beginning:
    Name:  IMG_0605.jpg
Views: 2031
Size:  115.6 KB

FEP Senior Member

Finding good used doors for a 79 in Canada has proven difficult. This one was stripped and left to the elements. Don't try this at home.

Name:  IMG_0930.jpg
Views: 1959
Size:  68.3 KB

It sounds like the car is back where it belongs. It's already a good story. I can't wait to see how it all turns out.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

As you stated the PC looks good in the pictures. Hope everything goes well for you! Good Luck and keep the pictures and updates coming!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

Most of the car is apart now and the work has begun on the body repair. Attached are some random pictures of the body disassembly and early repair work. I found rust in strange places on the car. Rust repairs I know are needed:
    Roof replacement.
    Door replacement
    The quarters were repaired and I will likely replace them.
    The fenders were replaced already.
    Repairs to the rocker panels. These were not as rusted as expected considering the sunroof drains go there.
    I don't know if the rust is because its just older than my Capri or not.
    One question I have is when did they move the rear brake line from inside the car to underneath? Name:  IMG_0940.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  86.6 KBName:  IMG_0942.jpg
Views: 1890
Size:  78.8 KBName:  IMG_0957 (1).jpg
Views: 1917
Size:  110.4 KBName:  dad trip 017.jpg
Views: 1914
Size:  241.0 KBName:  IMG_1098 (1).jpg
Views: 1895
Size:  106.6 KB

FEP Senior Member

Hello all, sorry for taking so long to update everyone. After removing everything, I found out the extent of the repair work. I repaired the floors which were in better condition than I expected. Once the floors were repaired, I installed Maximum motorsports sub frame connectors to keep the structure straight while i removed the body panels. The pictures below are during the welding process. No I don't have a lift or rotisserie and it makes this work difficult at best without them.
    Name:  IMG_1057.jpg
Views: 1874
Size:  89.4 KBName:  IMG_1059.jpg
Views: 1825
Size:  77.4 KB

Once the floors and sub frame connectors were installed, I began repairing the frame rails. The driver's side looks worse than the passenger side.

Name:  IMG_1084.jpg
Views: 1852
Size:  83.2 KBName:  IMG_1090 (1).jpg
Views: 1830
Size:  86.1 KB

I will try to upload more pictures shortly.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FEP Senior Member

More pictures of the removal. The last picture is of the material list for the repair. I had a local sheet metal shop bend the required steel for less than $100 Canadian.
    Name:  IMG_1105 (1).jpg
Views: 1837
Size:  88.5 KBName:  IMG_1106.jpg
Views: 1840
Size:  90.9 KBName:  IMG_1107.jpg
Views: 1835
Size:  76.3 KB

FEP Senior Member

Here are some repair pictures.
    Name:  IMG_1128.jpg
Views: 1837
Size:  104.1 KBName:  IMG_1160.jpg
Views: 1884
Size:  89.4 KBName:  IMG_1205.jpg
Views: 1847
Size:  99.1 KB

Boy that brings back some bad memories. A lot of work but it can be done.

FEP Senior Member

Yes if It hadn't been in the family so long I wouldn't have started the work.

Coming along nicely!

FEP Senior Member

Hello all, I am further along than the pictures show. I will add some pictures of the frame rail repair followed by the floor boards. Let's start with the frame rail repair:
    In this section of pictures, you can see the inner section on the drivers side was also rusted. I had to fabricate an inner section made from 16 gauge steel bent at 90 Degrees and some 1 1/2" pipe. I have read different ways of doing this work and felt that this will mirror the original design more closely than hollow structural steel repairs.
    Name:  IMG_1127 (1).jpg
Views: 1813
Size:  97.7 KBName:  IMG_1133 (1).jpg
Views: 1767
Size:  82.9 KBName:  IMG_1134.jpg
Views: 1739
Size:  97.4 KBName:  IMG_1140.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  101.5 KB

FEP Senior Member

I am only showing the drivers side as it was much worse than the passenger side. In this section of pictures, I welded the lower frame rail over this repair. Once it was complete, I cleaned it up and epoxy primed the engine compartment.
    Name:  IMG_1142 (1).jpg
Views: 1722
Size:  78.6 KBName:  IMG_1148.jpg
Views: 1706
Size:  83.0 KBName:  IMG_1150.jpg
Views: 1743
Size:  89.3 KBName:  IMG_1205.jpg
Views: 1705
Size:  99.1 KB

FEP Senior Member

Now I have a question PLEASE. I managed to purchase NOS quarter panels. Although the ones on the car are not as bad as some, I decided that it would be a shame to replace partial sections considering what I paid for them. I have searched high and low and no one has replace the full quarter. Has anyone seen one replaced and if so, can they tell me where I can get information?

FEP Senior Member

Good morning everyone. I was hoping someone could give me advice on a full quarter replacement. Please let me know before I make a decision.

Patrick

I don't have any links to a full quarter replacement. I know there are some pictures of the process here on FEP, but you will have to search thru some of the build threads to find them. I don't believe any of them are step by step tutorials, but should help with the basic knowledge and ideas.

A full quarter replacement on a Fox Mustang is not that different than a full quarter replacement on any hatchback or fastback vehicle. The quarter panel replacement itself will determine much of where and how you cut and replace. The OEM panel obviously seams at the sail panel to roof junction. Many people don't use that when replacing the panel and make the cut lower on the panel. I personally don't want multiple seams so I generally try to make the cut at the OEM seam when doing a full quarter. Obviously if sectioning the panel then all bets are off.

I completely understanding using a full quarter as a replacement and don't blame you. That will give you the most original type look and repair. Although I will admit that if you only have a small section that needs to be replaced/repaired then you might seriously consider sectioning the panel rather than a full replacement. If sectioning you might consider some of the patch panels that are available or using a donor piece off another car and saving the full quarter for later or another vehicle.

If you have specific questions in regard to the quarter replacement, I can try and answer or provide any help/insight to the process. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Hi if you are going to modify that car, you will not need the original throttle cable, I will buy that from you. Just let me know. It is the green one in the picture below. Thanks!

1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

FEP Senior Member

Hello all, I haven't worked on the car much for the last week, we finally had nice weather and we are trying to get the yard ready for summer. A few updates for everyone and hopefully you will understand why I am asking about the full quarters. I have replaced full quarters in the past on other cars and it is usually long but straight forward. These ones are more "involved" to replace.

First, my progress update:

In this picture, I will show the quarter to roof factory weld location.

Name:  IMG_1232 (1).jpg
Views: 1645
Size:  120.9 KBName:  IMG_1233 (1).jpg
Views: 1594
Size:  114.9 KB

As you can see, to replace the quarters, the roof (or cutting a portion of) has to be removed. These are pictures of the quarter panel under the roof:

Name:  IMG_1241.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  98.1 KBName:  IMG_1247 (1).jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  101.4 KB

Although hard to tell, the quarter goes up to the roof in an over/under fashion. Part of the quarter goes under the rear roof brace while the rest goes over the side bracing. I am worried about cutting a quarter out and loosing structural integrity.

Here is a picture of the NOS quarters.

Name:  IMG_1177.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  72.8 KB

I will take a better picture of the quarter later this week if all goes well. In the meantime, time for a quick spin in the Capri.

Happy motoring.

Patrick

FEP Senior Member

Here are a few pictures of the top of the quarter and the roof section on the car. You can see the dilemma. It reminds me of the square body roof's, almost impossible to repair properly.
    A picture of the NOS quarter at the top:
    Name:  Pace car 1.JPG
Views: 1543
Size:  131.5 KB

Now a few pictures of the existing roof section:

Name:  Pace car 2.JPG
Views: 1521
Size:  122.3 KBName:  Pace car 3.JPG
Views: 1467
Size:  121.0 KB

It is not impossible to replace, just very difficult.

Any thoughts?

Patrick
    Last edited by wraithracing; 06-09-2017 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Picture Corrections

FEP Senior Member

I do apologize for the upside down pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by cougman67 View Post
    I tried correcting the pictures, but something about them keep causing them to post upside down in the forum. Sorry!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

In regards to the quarter panels . . . First I need to mention that your NOS quarter panels are 87-93 style as an FYI. Not a deal breaker, but if you weren't already aware the quarter window area is very different from your original panels and will require additional modifications to allow the re-installment of the original quarter windows and trim. I would also mention that you might want to consider finding some of the later 4 Eyed quarter window trim that use the clips rather than the folded over metal to help hold them in place.

To do a full quarter replacement using the panels you have will require that you cut all the spot welds that hold the current panel in place and remove (obviously right! ). You will have to separate the overlapping metal by either moving the metal pieces completely to allow access or by prying up/out/etc to allow you to get the original panel out. It will most likely be a major PITA, but again it is doable. Just make sure you only do one side at a time until you have the new quarter burned back in to help prevent any tweaks to the unibody. Additional bracing or stays aren't a bad idea to make sure things don't move. You can also measure several point diagonally across the top and the body to use as reference before beginning to help verify your work and that everything is still in the right location.

The other option that many use is to cut the quarter panel either at the leaded seam or below that and splice the quarter panel in at that location rather than do all the work for the area up above with the overlapping metal. Just looking at the pictures you have provided it appears the rust around and just below the leaded seam is mainly surface rust that could be removed, neutralized, and/or easily patched. The other benefit to this is in the area of the quarter glass. Although I am not a hug fan of replacing the quarter that low on the C pillar, doing so and leaving the existing quarter glass and all the trim as is will save you a TON of TIME & WORK!!!

I assume you are installing quarters due to rust in the wheel arches, lower sections, etc. If not, then I would seriously consider patching the quarters as needed, installing a new/used roof skin and call it good. That will allow you to sell off your NOS panels if you want and recoup $$ for other areas of the project. Hope that helps! Good Luck!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 06-10-2017 at 09:37 PM. Reason: grammar correction
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by cougman67 View Post
    I didn't notice it...

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I tried correcting the pictures, but something about them keep causing them to post upside down in the forum. Sorry!

You weren't far South enough Trey!

Its the acceleromter postion when photoed over riding the orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    I didn't notice it...

You weren't far South enough Trey!

Its the acceleromter postion when photoed over riding the orientation.
    That must have been the case! The pictures were oriented correctly on my computer, but still posted upside down when I tried to correct. Then I flipped them on my computer to hopefully correct and they still posted upside down. Gotta love technology somedays! Thanks!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    In regards to the quarter panels . . . First I need to mention that your NOS quarter panels are 87-93 style as an FYI. Not a deal breaker, but if you weren't already aware the quarter window area is very different from your original panels and will require additional modifications to allow the re-installment of the original quarter windows and trim. I would also mention that you might want to consider finding some of the later 4 Eyed quarter window trim that use the clips rather than the folded over metal to help hold them in place.

To do a full quarter replacement using the panels you have will require that you cut all the spot welds that hold the current panel in place and remove (obviously right! ). You will have to separate the overlapping metal by either moving the metal pieces completely to allow access or by prying up/out/etc to allow you to get the original panel out. It will most likely be a major PITA, but again it is doable. Just make sure you only do one side at a time until you have the new quarter burned back in to help prevent any tweaks to the unibody. Additional bracing or stays aren't a bad idea to make sure things don't move. You can also measure several point diagonally across the top and the body to use as reference before beginning to help verify your work and that everything is still in the right location.

The other option that many use is to cut the quarter panel either at the leaded seam or below that and splice the quarter panel in at that location rather than do all the work for the area up above with the overlapping metal. Just looking at the pictures you have provided it appears the rust around and just below the leaded seam is mainly surface rust that could be removed, neutralized, and/or easily patched. The other benefit to this is in the area of the quarter glass. Although I am not a hug fan of replacing the quarter that low on the C pillar, doing so and leaving the existing quarter glass and all the trim as is will save you a TON of TIME & WORK!!!

I assume you are installing quarters due to rust in the wheel arches, lower sections, etc. If not, then I would seriously consider patching the quarters as needed, installing a new/used roof skin and call it good. That will allow you to sell off your NOS panels if you want and recoup $$ for other areas of the project. Hope that helps! Good Luck!
    This may not sound deep,.....but what Trey says....
    Last edited by wraithracing; 06-10-2017 at 09:36 PM. Reason: grammar correction on the quote

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast