Close

Default Upgrading 1G to 3G Alt - No Room On Starter Solenoid Stud

As the title says, I'm in the process of upgrading to a 3G alternator and with the extra power wire required I have no more room on the power side of the starter solenoid stud to hook up all the wires. To recap, the wires required are the power wire from the new alt, the power wire form the mini torque starter, the battery cable, and a couple other small wires from the harness.

I now this has been talked about a kazillion times, but after my afternoon of googling the problem I only found a couple of things. One fella posted using a threaded female coupler and extending it out from the solenoid stud. I wasn't too keen on that. I then saw a few posts saying to use a simple power distribution stud. That could be the answer, but I'm not 100% sure how the wiring would hook up. Has anyone used this before or have other ideas? Pics would be greatly appreciated if you have them. Thanks.

Motorcraft solenoid has studs ~7/8" long.

Attachment 111506

Do you need longer?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    Motorcraft solenoid has studs ~7/8" long.

Attachment 111506

Do you need longer?

Mike
    Yeah, I think I seen about the Motorcraft part... didn't believe it would be long enough... but your pic proves it. Thanks.

Part # and picture of stock vs. the longer one in my build thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1745810
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by ccurtin View Post

Thanks for the part #. Like your fan set up in that thread as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ccurtin View Post

I may have very well purchased the solenoid I did because of the above.

Mike

New User

Out of curiosity, is there any reason why couldn't you add extra connections to the positive battery terminal?

My crown Vic had a flat metal plate that boolted on the solinoid with another stud on it. Looked upretry tsctory.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac509 View Post
    Out of curiosity, is there any reason why couldn't you add extra connections to the positive battery terminal?
    The instructions for the new alt upgrade say to have the power wire attached to the solenoid stud rather than the battery. I don't know exactly why, but for some reason it's better. I also asked about putting the starter power wire straight to the battery terminal, but was told that was not a good idea either. Also, most of the searches I seen, other accessories like electric fans, guys are putting the power wire directly to the solenoid, or using a power distribution block or stud off the solenoid, rather than hooking directly to the battery cable.

New User

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Chortdakooba View Post
    The instructions for the new alt upgrade say to have the power wire attached to the solenoid stud rather than the battery. I don't know exactly why, but for some reason it's better. I also asked about putting the starter power wire straight to the battery terminal, but was told that was not a good idea either. Also, most of the searches I seen, other accessories like electric fans, guys are putting the power wire directly to the solenoid, or using a power distribution block or stud off the solenoid, rather than hooking directly to the battery cable.
    Can anyone else give any more information on this? I'm currently replacing my solenoid and was planning on moving my amp positive to the battery terminal. However if this will cause issues I'll just keep everything on the solenoid like it was before it failed.

Blog Entries

I believe the theory is, the alternator provides the power for the electrical systems, and any extra draw needed for voltage spikes (starter, fan start up, etc) comes from the battery. Unused charge from the alternator then goes to the battery, charging it up. Hooking the alternator charge directly to the battery basically puts all of the charge in the battery, and then sends it down the line to the electrical system. Hooking a draw like fans, ect. directly to the battery would pull power from the battery instead of the alternator output. Would it really make much of a difference? I don't know. I put my charge lead directly to the battery on my trunk mount battery, since i have a disconnect switch on it. If I have problems, I'll let you know! Lol
    Last edited by brianj; 04-29-2017 at 08:05 AM.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    I believe the theory is, the alternator provides the power for the electrical systems, and any extra draw needed for voltage spikes (starter, fan start up, etc) comes from the battery. Unused charge from the alternator then goes to the battery, charging it up. Hooking the alternator charge directly to the battery basically puts all of the charge in the battery, and then sends it down the line to the electrical system. Hooking a draw like fans, ect. directly to the battery would pull power from the battery instead of the alternator output. Would it really make much of a difference? I don't know. I put my charge lead directly to the battery on my trunk mount battery, since i have a disconnect switch on it. If I have problems, I'll let you know! Lol

I also heard now that it's also better to come off the solenoid because you will by-pass any corrosion issues that can occur on the battery post. In an event, I picked up the MC solenoid with the bigger stud and I'm going to give that a try.