Close

Default Automobile Magazine: Nice Fox Article

So this month's Automobile's Collectible Classic article is about Foxes this month. The featured car is an '88 notchback done up with IRS and a full Maximum Motorsports treatment and a refreshingly mild EFI crate 302. Definitely a nice build. Something I could see myself doing if i had more time and money. Foxes: They're not just for drag racing anymore. I could do without the gaudy wide wheels and fender flares, but at least they serve a function.

Anyway, I think the article nicely captured the spirit of the Fox enthusiast. The owner says "There's no value in preserving it in its current state. There's only value in the smiles I get." A perfect Fox perspective, if you ask me. A great car to build, but you're probably not going to cash in.

They do kind of imply the aeros are the only cars that matter, but obviously we know anything you can do to an aero, you can do to ANY Fox car.

Name:  IMG_20170423_111513626.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  63.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20170423_111522260.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  911.6 KB
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 04-23-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Seen a lot of these articles recently touting the love for the Aero acting like they are the only Foxbody. I don't understand why people forget a whole 8 years of production. Just because you don't have have EFI or a stupid round nose.
    1981 Mustang Hatch 3.3 "Orange Juice"
    1983 Mustang GT Convertible "Triple Black"
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

As an 4-eyed and Aero nose owner I understand the 87-93 only lovers. I do believe it has to do mostly with the EFI 225hp right out of the box. EFI also spawned the hugh aftermarket we know today. Most forget the first year of EFI as 86 simply because of the nose. The 87 style was based off the SVO and stayed till the Fox's death in 93.

I remember in 1987 when I still owned my 81. Let me tell you I thought the new style was very sweet and sleek, same feeling I had in 79 when the all new design came around.
    But I do agree with my 4-eyed brothers and sisters. The first 8 years should be lumped in with the 87-93, as in "Remember the Fox 79-93 Mustang?" .....or at least a foot note would be nice.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Most people think my fox is a Mustang II when I say it's a 79. I am quick to correct them.

Another example of the increasing respect given to Fox Mustangs, even if our beloved four-eyes largely remain in the background.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

As an owner of both, there is no question the '87-93 is a far more refined and finished product as it should be given the extra years of time to improve what they had. I love them both equally.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Yeah, when i got my first car at 17, a '79 notchback, in 1993 i thought it was pret-ty lame compared with an '87-93 GT like some of my classmates had. Mine was rocking the wheezy I-6 and couldn't get out of its own way, while they had on of the most respected cars of its day. Probably contributes to my hatred of the ol' 200 to this day. I had about as much jealousy for this one girl in my class with a '85-6 GT I would see on the way to school. Jalapeno red, and everything!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I guess it's just the common perception that a foxbody is a 5.0 That's fuel injected. I personally don't like the new nose job, but that's why I don't own an aero, just personal taste. The carb is what brought me to the 83 year, as I wanted a car without any computers of any sort, maybe other want just the opposite ?
    1981 Mustang Hatch 3.3 "Orange Juice"
    1983 Mustang GT Convertible "Triple Black"
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Funny, I didn't care for aero foxes when they were popular, but I kind of lump them all together now. Back in the 80s there was more of a pronounced distinction between pre 87 cars and later. Nowadays there all just foxes. But I did not care for the bluntness of the aero nose, the tweed seats, the Japanese-ish pod dash, or the weird cheese grater tail lights, but 225 hp and 300 lbs of torque could not be denied.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

FEP Senior Member

Thankfully that was written by someone other than Matt Farrah, the owner. Farrah said after he finished the car that he spent $50k on it and it wasn't really worth it. It couldn't out-handle anything in that price range like an S550, M3, etc. He also said he probably wouldn't do it again.

Half of the price tag is in labor alone as he doesn't actually wrench on cars himself. He bought a lot of pieces and had various shops put them on for him. His build is on TheSmokingTire on YouTube if anyone hasn't seen anything about it.
    Last edited by Basin Motorsports; 04-25-2017 at 11:23 AM.