Close

New User

Default Best way to repair lower door rust?

So I have a driver's side door that is in need of some help. After I ground all the mud out of it from someone else's fix for it there is a fair amount of rust. I did get out lower door skin replacement panel. But it dose not fit worth a darn would need alot of rework. So I was just thinking of cutting out the bad and patching in good. Any suggestions. It's some skin and some door that needs help.
    1986 GT 5.0, 5 speed.

You might want to look around at salvage yards or google used parts dealers in the area for a used door with no rust. There are millions of these cars out there and lots of used parts to be had. If you're a really good welder you can fix anything, though, but it's not always worth it!

This forum is pretty firm on not parting out good cars, but you can find used parts here if you look/ask.

I personally have never skinned or even partially skinned a Fox door. I have always been able to either find a replacement or had spares already.

I have skinned doors on 60's Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, etc. when necessary but honestly IMHO it's a huge PITA! I would much rather just replace the door when possible with a good/better quality door. IMHO it is almost always easier and quicker in the long run.

If you have to purchase a door and have it shipped, consider using Greyhound Bus lines as a shipper. They can be relatively inexpensive compared to UPS/FEDEX and others. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I repaired the bottoms of my doors myself. I made my own patch pieces and MIG welded them in. They turned out pretty well. The drivers door was the worst and needed part of the outer skin replaced. The passenger door was better and only needed some repairs to the inner skin at the lower edge.

Name:  2015-11-28 13-48-44 - 0009_resize.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  163.3 KB
    Name:  2015-11-28 13-53-19 - 0010_resize.JPG
Views: 270
Size:  168.8 KB
    Name:  2015-11-28 14-53-49 - 0012_resize.JPG
Views: 271
Size:  216.3 KB
    Name:  2015-11-28 14-54-13 - 0013_resize.JPG
Views: 271
Size:  194.3 KB

New User

I found a door but it's 300 bucks, I found some capri doors too with power windows. How hard is it to add power window wiring on a non power car? After I sandblasted the lower Parr of the door. The inner is rough but I might just fix it.
    1986 GT 5.0, 5 speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Waters86 View Post
    I found a door but it's 300 bucks, I found some capri doors too with power windows. How hard is it to add power window wiring on a non power car? After I sandblasted the lower Parr of the door. The inner is rough but I might just fix it.
    Price seems a bit steep to me, but it all depends your location in the country.

You can swap all your non power stuff into the new door if you would like. Otherwise, you will want the body side of the PW harness to make it easier to wire up the doors. The harness connects into the main wiring on the driver side and then there is a jumper harness that runs from the driver side across the firewall to the passenger side door. I probably have what you need if you want to do the PW swap in regards to the wiring. Send me a PM if you decide to go that route. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

New User

What year doors an you put on a 86 hatchback? Will any year fit?
    1986 GT 5.0, 5 speed.

I find doors for $50 to $100 bucks here in MI and at the Columbus swap meet. 87-93 doors will work just need to weld up some holes by the window dew wipe area for the 79-86 dew wipes. For the time welding and repairing the doors is not worth it to me either. They also never hold up or look as good as stock. Wish you where closer I have some decent doors just not perfect that would make great drivers
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

Came out good. Plus the experience of working the metal.
    Maybe smooth up the tacks some on the inside, treat the metal, seam seal, and paint.
    The outside? Plastic then hide with abrasion spray?
    Check that window frame, in the lower back corner above the door handle area right where the sill trim is, for cracks.

Came out good. Plus the experience of working the metal.
    Maybe smooth up the tacks some on the inside, treat the metal, seam seal, and paint.
    The outside? Plastic then hide with abrasion spray?
    Check that window frame, in the lower back corner above the door handle area right where the sill trim is, for cracks.

Also make sure the door data sticker matches your car.
    Can cause problems if door is off another car and that VIN comes up invalid, salvage, stolen, etc if ever 'run'.
    If different, scrape it off and get a Marti reissue for your car.
    That goes for any used door replacement on any car/truck.
    Last edited by gr79; 04-25-2017 at 10:46 AM.

New User

I will have to do some more digging here by me and see what I can find. Where are the holes you have to weld up?
    1986 GT 5.0, 5 speed.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    I just fixed this issue on my driver's door. Not too bad of a job, but you just have to keep the heat down and make sure to not burn through the metal. You don't have the access to put a copper spoon behind it to help out.