Close

Default Where to drill hatch for the 3 piece rear spoiler

Hi,

My 3 piece rear spoiler is in transit and should arrive next week, but I'm working on the rear hatch while it on the way and would like to drill it before applying the epoxy primer and doing the final body work.

Does anyone have the measurement and location for the top and bottom holes ?

Thanks !

If no one has them, I have a 3 piece hatch I can get you measurements from

Unless you have a template to place on your rear hatch, I would not drill any holes until you get the rear spoiler. Just my .02 worth.

It can be done, but IMHO, it's much easier to remove the studs from the rear spoiler. Then set the rear spoiler in position on the rear hatch. Make sure it's located properly and centered side to side. I would also test fit the side pieces if possible, although you might need to tape the side pieces to the center section.

Once you are happy with the placement, I would mark the hatch. I like to use tap just under the edge of the spoiler and then scribe the actual position with a pencil or marker. Then I would mark the location of the center line of your stud locations. ( I should have mentioned I would mark those on the spoiler both front and back before test fitting. Now you should have the outer edge of the perimeter of the spoiler marked and the center line of the studs for the center section. Now flip the spoiler over and measure each stud location from the front and from the back of the spoiler so you can transfer that to the center line marks you made previously.

Once you have all the stud locations marked. I would double check all my locations and measurements a second time to be safe. Now the drilling starts. I personally would drill each one with an 1/8" or so to start. Reinstall the studs into the spoiler and check to see if everything lines up. Much easier to make a correction or fill an 1/8" hole now rather than a 1/4"-5/16" later.

If everything looks good then go ahead a drill out the holes to at least 1/4", although you might need/want to drill to at least a 5/16" to give you just a bit of room for tweaking the fit. Now you should be able to mount the center section of the spoiler and repeat the above steps for the holes for the side pieces.

Best of Luck and just take your time and it will all work out!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I did this years ago. I believe I just put a little red touch up on the studs and pressed it against the hatch to mark. Then I drilled down. On the inside I think I drilled a (2"?) sight hole with a hole saw blade to bolt it through. Then I put on new rubber plugs from Ford. Not the best method I'm sure, but it worked!
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Allright I'll wait for the spoiler to arrive and do as you say.
    I have a hole saw of the correct size for the bottom holes. I hope my parts car has enough plugs !

I had to drill holes for the gound effect piece on the replacement driver door of my '84 Trans Am but I had the original passenger door as a guide.

Thanks !