Close

Default Hood hinge/ cowl area rust HELP

What is everyone doing about the hood hinge mounting rust on the cowl area? Seems like all of mine are rusted behind the rubber boot. Anyone with pics would be helpful. Thanks

Pic of yours may help us help you.

Ill get some monday. Its where the hinge pocket is located on the cowl.

This is the area
    Attached Images Attached Images  

There's not much you can do without taking the whole hinge assembly out. On my car, it was just pitted.

I am always amazed at the ways and places these old cans rust.

I have already removed it, just an old pic.

Well it's not protected originally, only a thin coat of black primer. Add to that the moisture that gets trapped in the aging rubber seal and it starts rusting quick. My three 79 have some rust here.

Depending on the amount of rust and how extensive the rust is, will determine you options for repairing the area.

Small pitting and generally minor rust issues you may be able to repair with a product like Rust Encapsulator http://www.eastwood.com/rust-encapsulator-27490.html and some body filler.

Complete rust through in small sections or a small area may be repaired with some strategic sheetmetal patches and the products mentioned above.

A large section of rust through that causes structural damage and weakens the cowl/hood hinge area will most likely require either extensive sheet metal patches or complete replacement of the cowl/hood hinge area depending on your availability of replacement parts. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Rusted around bolt holes right where rubber goes. The hinges hAve no support. I was just seeing if anyone had any repair pics

If it is only around the bolt holes, then most likely you could just cut out the rust and weld in new metal to support the hinges and save a ton of time and money.

Having a pair of donor pieces from another car would make things easier, so that's an option too. I don't have any here anymore, but I might be able to help when I head back to TX later this summer. Send me a PM if you don't find any better options there in MS. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Better pic
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks like typical rust for many Foxes that I have seen. Definitely looks bad, but may not be as bad as it looks upon closer inspection.

I would recommend scrapping and cleaning the area a bit to verify how bad the rust really is. It's quite possible that you can scrap off the large crusties and then coat with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator or similar product and be just fine. If the area has rust thru or the metal is just too thin, then cutting out and replacing with new metal is the best option IMHO. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Its def rust through but only of the rubber boot.

Get the proper thickness metal for the repair. Spray both sides with weld through primer.

Cut out the bad area. Put the piece you cut out on top of the sealed piece of metal.

Spray with a spraypaint that will contrast the fresh metal.

Cut the shape out but allow just a little extra so the piece goes into the hold with minimum clearance.

hold the patch with a magnet or two and evaluate fit.

When you are happy with it, tack it in with a welder.

Skip around so you don't warp the area.

If you don't have a welder, the smallest "flux core" wire welder from Harbor Freight works great. I've done a lot of welding with mine already and am on my 3rd or 4th spool of wire while I've only had it for about as many months and I don't do this stuff every day.

I've welded a wide range of stuff from weld-in subframe connectors to K member repairs -- it did as well as any but the most excessively expensive pieces of welding equipment I've used.

it wouldnt bother me so much but it is not a flat are like the driver side. It has a slight bow. Also has a rolled lip on the inside. Im just worried about body panel alignment. I have 7 Foxes 6 are 4 eyes and all 6 are in the same shape in the hinge area. Ugh

FEP Senior Member

That last picture is what my '80 looks like now, and what my '92 did look like before it was moved to greener pastures. You can probably just remove all the rust with a wire wheel and coat anything remaining in inhibitor / encapsulator. From there you can hit any bare metal with etch primer and repaint as needed to match the factory color (or just mask everything off).