Close

Thread: Carb trouble

Default Carb trouble

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum so I'm looking for a little help. I have a 1962 ford fairlane with the 260 v8 in it. I have an autolite 2100 carb on it from a 67 cougar 289 as the original carb was missing. When I finally got the car started it was running super hot and popping out of the carb then dying when any throttle was given. This leads me to believe its running lean, but I dont know how much to change the jets in it. From what I remember when I rebuilt the carb, it has 47f jets in it. Should I go to a 50?

Thanks for any help!

How is the ignition timing? Backfires from intake sounds like timing is off.

^ X2 seeing where the initial ignition timing is, as well as what's up with the mechanical and vacuum advance... and lean, sounds it, but won't be from insufficient jetting. 47F sounds like and is no doubt what came in that carburetor (likely a "1.08" venturi?), and should remain in the carburetor. Your problem is probably accelerator pump related, and/or idle circuit related... and, did you set the float height correct during your rebuild?
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/