Close

Hybrid View

Default C4 Transmission Kick down problems

So this problem is killing me, I recently installed a Kickdown rod on my mustang, It has a 302 with a C4 trans. The C4 had a kickdown rod on the trans before. When I got the car back from resto it was missing the rod. Without the rod it would change gears from 1 - 2 very fast and when it shifts to 3rd it revs high then shifts acting like the kickdown was engaged. So I recently put a kickdown rod on it and now it will not shift unless it is WOT. Do I need a new modulator? Also, on the highway I am cruising at 60 mph at 3K rpms. This seems high to me. What do you guys think? I am thinking of just disconnecting the rod again and run it without. I'm stumped by this trans. It has a B&M shift kit also. Any help would be much appreciated.

How is your kick down adjusted at the carburetor, and were the bands and modulator adjusted too?
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 04-20-2017 at 08:31 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

I have it adjusted to the back of the carb, so when I press the gas down it pushes the rod back. but the rod doesn't move much feels like it only moves about a 1/2 inch down.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanStang View Post
    I have it adjusted to the back of the carb, so when I press the gas down it pushes the rod back. but the rod doesn't move much feels like it only moves about a 1/2 inch down.
    It doesn't need to move much. 1/2" sounds close for it's normal amount of travel. Wherever it is at idle is wherever that ends up, BUT you adjust it holding the throttle at wide open throttle, and adjust the screw so that there is very little clearance, a little left that you can still push the kick down rod back/down some, about 1/16" or 1/32".
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 04-21-2017 at 05:46 PM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

I never adjusted the bands or modulator.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanStang View Post
    I never adjusted the bands or modulator.
    Those are important, and could definitely be contributing to erratic transmission behavior and the higher rpm at cruise speed you mentioned. Band adjustment procedure can be found online or in Haynes manual etc... modulator adjustment, if yours has a small flat blade screwdriver screw inside the vacuum nipple, consists of... well, my personal preference is turning the screw clockwise as far in as it will go, and then back out about 1/4 turn. Doing that gets the transmission to hold out in each gear a little longer during part throttle.
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 04-21-2017 at 05:50 PM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo