Close

Default Accessories swap

The old 82 engine is toast and I was able to pick up a 94 cobra engine for 200 bucks. Can I swap over all the front accessories from the 82 motor to the 94, I would like to retain the location of the power steering and AC Locations. Plus the crank pulley on the cobra engine was bent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can swap over all the front dress and accessories if you want.

Just remember you will have to add the fuel pump eccentric to the cam in order to run a mechanical fuel pump. You will also need your 82 timing cover as the 94/95 is electric pump.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Can you can use the late short water pump with the early timing cover (can you? I didn't think so)and if you use the early water pump AND timing cover then the rest of the pulleys don't line up. I thought the inlet and outlets were totally different shapes between the two pumps.
    And I believe we established that is not a Cobra motor. If you post a pic of the numbers on the engine that is easy enough to tell for sure. If it is, all the Good Cobra parts aside from the GT40 heads are missing.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Water pump and Timing Covers are completely different from what I remember. I don't recall the overall length of the 94/95, but I vaguely remember something about the water pump being shorter so that would definitely cause alignment issues if the 82 pump is longer.

You might be able to correct with a deeper water pump pulley if the accessories are still in the same basic location, but again I haven't tried this swap, so I might be completely WRONG!

Looking at the photos, again, I don't believe PS/AC bracket nor the Alt/Air Pump brackets locate off the water pump or the timing cover, so you can probably make it work, but again it will most likely take a deeper offset WP pulley. From what I have no idea!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 04-20-2017 at 05:25 PM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Can you can use the late short water pump with the early timing cover (can you? I didn't think so)and if you use the early water pump AND timing cover then the rest of the pulleys don't line up. I thought the inlet and outlets were totally different shapes between the two pumps.
    And I believe we established that is not a Cobra motor. If you post a pic of the numbers on the engine that is easy enough to tell for sure. If it is, all the Good Cobra parts aside from the GT40 heads are missing.
    I wasn't getting notifications of the replies on the thread The upper intake looks as if it was from a different vehicle. I saw pics of the vehicle, it was a "cobra" with maybe a gt bumper. Maybe he made the engine look like a gt lol? Idk, it's hard to tell if the vehicle is a real cobra since there's only two pics. Where can I get the numbers off the block?

If it was a cobra, the intake will be staggered like the explorer/cobra intake. If not, it's either a plain old 94-95 gt or a 91-93 cougar or tbird engine. Those are the only cars with the oddball one peice with an angled throttle body.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

It does have real GT40 heads. We already established that. There is a number stamped in the block that will say for sure.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

I know they are gt40 heads lol where could I find the stamp? The engine is covered in gunk

It should be stamped on the top rear of the block itself right behind the intake near where the bellhousing attaches. It is actually part of the VIN of the car the engine came out of.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775