Close

Default '82 GT - tilt steering help needed.

Hey all-

First off - YES I did use the SEARCH button and read through quite a few posts. All I could find was help on loose columns and replacing/updating columns.

My issue is only the tilt mechanism. The wheel keeps pulling itself up and will not lock in the down position. It was locked when I first went to see the car. The day I purchased the car, I pull the lever and the wheel tilted up, but ever since - cant get it to stay back down in the normal driving position. The column itself is not loose.

Any ideas what happened? Anyone else have an issue like this?

Thanx in advance for any help!

Sorry. I have owned many of these and that's a new one. But the older these get the more bizarre issues show up. Sounds like the teeth are stripped or the spring that engages the teeth is MIA.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Does the tilt lever have some resistance to it such that if feels like the spring is still in good shape...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I have seen the spring loose tension as mentioned above. I have also seen the detentes that allow the different tilt settings or the catch get worn down too and not make good contact.

I would recommend removing the steering column trim pieces and take a look at the tilt mechanism. Most likely you will be able to see what is going on once you remove the trim pieces. Once you know that, then it will be a question of how to repair it. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

If the pin sheers off that the teeth bite into you will encounter this. It would make a great control for a flying car at that point.

Not sure what metal Ford used originally but I do know roll pins and other things you would expect to just work didn't.

I drove mine for a while with that problem. It sounds strange but once you are used to applying force directly to the wheel along it's rotational plane in the direction you want it to go it gets very easy.

I feel that overall experience with a column in this state ultimately made me a much better -- and more precise -- driver. If you want to teach yourself how to thread the needle the first step seems to be wheel grip and force application technique.

That being said I am very happy that I was able to track down another 1986 GT wheel/column combo that also had cruise buttons and tilt. Unfortunately it also had a lock without key but luckily I was trained as a locksmith earlier in my career. several hours of picking and some borrowed tools later I was able to pop the lock out then use the whole thing to replace mine then pop in my original lock cylinder and ignition switch, signal, etc.

The most difficult part after the lock headache was the linkage to the rack.
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-19-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Thanks so far! I was thinking there may be a spring that skipped off. I'll pull it Friday and investigate a bit more.