Close

Question 99 Explorer Motor in 86 Mustang Questions

Hello all,

My 86 mustang burns A BUNCH of oil(100 miles/quart) so I recently purchased a 99 explorer motor and I just got it on an engine stand to start tearing it down to rebuild. My current plan is to do new gaskets, bearings, and rings on the explorer motor to freshen it up, along with moving the 86 CAM over as I have heard the explorer cams are not setup right for mustang driving. To make it easier I also plan on using my current cobra intake so I don't have to modify the explorer intake to work in the car. I know I will also need "P" headers to go on the car because the spark plugs sit at a different angle in the GT40p heads than the standard heads, or GT40 heads.

a couple questions:

- Overall, am I going about this correctly?
    - Any major issues I might run into while I am trying to put this motor in? Things such as will my distributor work on a distributorless car?
    - I plan on converting to MAF soon, but I don't think my explorer wiring harness or computer will work for this correct? I'm thinking the sensor might, but it might not be the correct diameter.
    - If my clutch feels strong, and I was told it has less than 5000 miles on it. If it looks OK what is everyones opinion on running a used clutch? Might be worth just changing out while I am in there.
    - Worth using the Mustang CAM or just get a new one? If new what is recommended for a car that I drive to work on nice days and autocross on weekends?
    - Long tube or short tube headers? I was thinking Ford racing "P" headers, but I am going to be getting all new exhaust anyways (IRS) so it might be worth going long tube?
    - Power levels expected with this setup? shooting for 260 WHP, but that might be expecting a lot.

How many miles on the Explorer motor? You may not need new rings and bearings. When you pull the heads look at the cylinder walls and see what you have. You should replace the rear main seal and can pull the bearing cap to make it easier and take a look at the bearing to see condition. At this point new oil pump, timing chain, etc.

The GT40p heads can be run with long tubes and some shorties...worse case you will need to run 90* boots on the plugs but will still have a plug or two that will be tight. I did this with the MAC units and within a year went to the Ford Racing stainless GT40p headers and never looked back. The GT40p heads will also not have the thermactor passages which means the plumbing on the back of the heads on your current setup will be obsolete.

Not as familiar with the Explorer motors but if you transfer all your wiring you should be good.

I would utilize that clutch but look at the throw out bearing and more importantly the shaft it rides on.

The stock cam is good but done at 5K+ and there are much better cams that will let it run stronger and at a higher rpm...just depends on what you are looking for.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

the guy I bought explorer motor from said around 150k but he wasn't sure. Said it ran strong without burning oil or anything. I'll take it apart before I buy anything. What are the thermactor passages for?

Should I put my 86 cam in, or run with the explorer if I don't buy new?

Thermactor passages and/or humps in the exhaust ports are part of the pollution control equipment. Look at the back of the heads near the firewall in your car now and you will see a metal tube that bolts to each head and connects them and runs over to the passenger side of the engine compartment.

I would run the Mustang cam if a choice of the two but prefer an aftermarket unit that better match what those heads are capable of.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride