Close

Default Park brake plastic surround removal

Removing the carpet in my 1980 Capri RS so I can repair my floor. Can anyone fill me in on how the plastic surround on the park brake comes off? Looked on line and on here, but didn't come up with an answer. Really don't wan to probe and poke at it till I break it. Thanks in advance.

Are you referring to the plastic trim piece on the center console, the non console trim piece or the trim on the actual parking brake handle itself. A picture always helps in these situations.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Can't get a picture to load, the best discription would be non console trim piece. Basically just a plastic "box" that covers the hole where the park brake handle comes up through the floor.

I believe it snaps down over a metal bracket that is attached to the floor. Unfortunately I have the trim piece, but in my cleaning up of my shop a couple of months ago, now I can't put my hands on it. I will try and find it again tomorrow. Double check for any screws that would hold it in place, but I believe it will just pop off the bracket while lifting on the correct area. Hopefully another member will chime in and confirm or deny my thoughts. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Hey, thanks for the poke in the right direction. It is in fact press fitted in the back and hinged in the front. One you hinge it open, 4 screws hold it down to the bracket. It is removed and in one piece. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lebl468 View Post
    Hey, thanks for the poke in the right direction. It is in fact press fitted in the back and hinged in the front. One you hinge it open, 4 screws hold it down to the bracket. It is removed and in one piece. Thanks.
    Glad I could provide at least a little bit of help. I assumed if I could find my plastic trim piece the underside would help you out. OH well, I bet it's still packed in my truck with the other Four Eyed parts I loaded up and took with me on my last trip. Had plans on putting some parts up for sale while I was on the road working, but work was so crazy I never had the time. Anyway! Glad you were able to get it sorted out. Good Luck with it!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller