Close

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1985 GT Build

Braved the heat this evening and managed to get a couple things done. First, I started the car up to work any remaining air out of the system and check for leaks. None detected in the few minutes it ran, fingers crossed it stays that way. With that done, I lowered the front of the car off the jackstands and used the "string method" to get an inital toe adjustment. Got it pretty close I think.

Plan for tomorrow is to take it out for a drive and see how she does.

Stay tuned.....
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

FEP Super Member

A suggestion for setting the toe .
    Carpenters chalk box , hook the end in the tread of the rear tire , pull the string line tight up to the front tire with the car sitting on the ground and wheel straight , just loop the string into the tread , it will stay .
    Do the same on the other side .
    Look at how the string sits against the sidewalls of the tires , it should rest on the back sidewall ever so lightly .
    I do both sides with a string at the same time , with the steering wheel locked in the straight ahead position .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Thanks for the tip. That's basically how I did it except I tied the string to jackstands and measured to the wheel with a tape measure. Did it that way in an effort to compensate for differences in front and rear track width.
    Thomas

347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Tested out the new rack tonight, definitely has a different feel. Would say it seems firmer and less twitchy/darty. Like it so far. Alignment seemed pretty close too, but going to check it again to confirm.

Rain forecasted here for the next couple days, but planning on some more drive time this weekend.
    Thomas

Managed some garage time over the weekend. Rechecked toe adjustment friday night, was off a little so made some tweaks. After my initial system bleeding and test drive I still ended up with some air in the power steering, so Saturday afternoon I went back out with the vacuum pump and after going several rounds I think for the first time in 10 years I have quiet power steering. Well, normal quiet for Ford power steering. Enjoyed the quiet power steering so much Saturday that I decided to get the car out today as well. Took the time to stop a take a few new pictures. Also, I recently picked one of those cheaper action cameras off Amazon to play with, took it along for the ride this afternoon. Going to try to edit what I recorded into something decent to upload to youtube. Will post it up here when I do.

Looks like I'll have to do something about that cloudy headlight soon.
    Thomas

The GT looks Great!

I didn't read every post, so maybe this was mentioned above, but what PS fluid are you using in your Mustang? I ask because so many people use "Power Steering" fluid from the parts store when the Ford system was designed for Type F transmission fluid. That alone usually has much the biggest impact on the "NOiSE" the Ford pumps are famous for. Although a PITA at this point, I would highly recommend swapping the fluid to Type F if you are using anything other than that currently.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The car looks great Thomas.

It’s cool that your getting out and driving it a little.

Thanks, Trey. Yes, I have been using Type F fluid. I will admit that in my early fox days I did top off a couple times with power steering fluid. Read about the universal "power steering" fluid being a no-no years ago and have always used Type F since.

Thanks, Dave. I've actually been enjoying driving the car more now without the power steering issue bugging me. Looked forward to driving it all weekend and plan to do so more this week when I can dodge the forecasted rain.
    Thomas

Looking forward to seeing your youtube video
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

I'm working on it, Mike. I've made a few videos so far trying to figure the in's & out's of this camera, but they're not the greatest. I think my exhaust plays hell with the camera mic, so a lot of times the audio is just a bunch of garbled noise. Tried a couple things to remedy it, but not much success as of yet. Got another idea or two to try, but if those don't work about the only thing left is tailpipes. I also need to come up with a better mounting setup. Right now I just have the camera strapped to the headrest above my shoulder. Might try a suction cup mount of some kind. Could really use a roll bar.

Here's one of the test video's I uploaded, watch if you dare. Just turn the volume down and turn it off if the shaking starts making you queasy.

https://youtu.be/K3EtBOOcoyU
    Thomas

Lol... the videos I put onto youtube are simply me holding my camera, aimed at the multi-meter, watching oxygen sensor voltages as I went thru some accelerations etc... any yes, some is garbled noise.

I'm going to dare in a bit...
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

So, been trying to decide what project to tackle next on my car. Have several in the queue.

First up, I'm thinking I'll rewire my headlights. A few years ago I bought a harness with relays off eBay, though I'm not sure if I want to use it or not. I buy cheap crap then get leery of it being so cheap. Going to check it out closely before I do anything with it. At a minimum I'm going to replace the fuse holder with a weatherproof one. I'm also going to replace my low-beam lights since I have that fogged one.

Another thing I want to do is replace my rear caliper brackets. The ones I have now are the V6/GT brackets that I clearanced for the Cobra rotors. Can get the Cobra brackets online for about $40/pr. This isn't particularly a necessity, but one of those things that's been bugging me for quite some time.

I'm also planning to wrap-up my datalog set-up. Still working on the TPS mount I started a few months ago and trying to figure out a bracket to mount it on the engine. Right now I'm envisioning something that mounts between the rear carb stud and throttle cable bracket. I'm going to attempt to get a MAP sensor, sensor pigtails and sensor interface ordered sometime in the next couple months. This is going to be my slower, over-the-winter project.

We'll see how long it takes for me to complete all this. Don't hold your breath on it being anytime soon.

eBay Headlight harness:

Throttle Position Sensor location planning:

Parts to be fabbed for TPS linkage: (sorry pic is sideways, not sure how to fix)
    Last edited by 85MUSTANGTGT; 10-17-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    Thomas

FEP Power Member

Could you please post some more day light pics of your car?

Sure. Hoping to get some drive time in this weekend. I'll take some more pics then.
    Thomas

Looking good, glad you were able to get some wheel time.

Thanks James.

Went out for a drive this afternoon. Took a couple new pics.

Thomas

Light rewire over to relays is a great mod!

I like where this project is going! Lookin good!
    John McBride

Midnite Octane - "Fuel Your Imagination!"
    www.midniteoctane.com

Thanks, John. Look forward to seeing what you do with your new '82.
    Thomas

Damn that looks great!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Matt.
    Thomas

A 3.55 with 0.50 is a lot of gear. 6th becomes near unusable with anything but a stock idle capable motor. 2.73 with a 0.63 is near those numbers. It’s a bit much though.

I’m looking at a 4.10 or a 3.90 paired with a 0.50 for my 86 once it’s how I want it.

Do some math and see where you’re at on it.

Im going to a 0.59 with a 3.55 in my 85 build. That will end up the same as a 3.08 with a 0.68. Hopefully the cam I’ve selected will put up with it on the freeway.

I've done some math on it, calculating final ratios. Haven't gone as far as figuring actual RPM though.

There is only a 0.07 difference in the 0.68/2.73 combo and the 0.50/3.55 combo, the latter being slightly taller. Like I said, I haven't figured differences in RPM, but can't imagine it being much. I'll do the math and confirm.

I really have no idea when/if my T56 dreams will ever come to fruition. If it does, it will be at least 4-5 or more years down the road. Who knows if they'll still even be offering swap kits by then. Hopefully, but no telling.

T5 Gear Ratios 2.73 Rear 3.55 Rear
    1st 3.35 9.14 11.89
    2nd 1.97 5.38 6.99
    3rd 1.29 3.52 4.57
    4th 1.00 2.73 3.55
    5th 0.68 1.85 2.41
    T56 Gear Ratios (BA72)
    1st 2.97 10.54
    2nd 2.10 7.45
    3rd 1.46 5.18
    4th 1.00 3.55
    5th 0.74 2.62
    6th 0.50 1.78
    Thomas

James, you got me curious so pulled up that handy RPM calculator on the Allfordmustangs site. In fact, I vaguely remember doing this before but I've slept since then.

So, results are the T56 w/ 0.50 OD is 80 RPM's less than the T5 w/ 0.68 OD. I'd have to think that's doable.

First is T5 w/ 2.73's and 275/40-17 tires @ 75 MPH:

Next is T5 w/ 3.55's and 275/40-17 tires @ 75 MPH (my current setup):

Last is the T56 w/ 3.55's and 275/40-17 tires @75 MPH:

Thomas

I like using this one
    https://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-geareng.aspx

There isn’t an enormous difference but if the car has a lumpy cam it can get interesting.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast