Close

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 1985 GT Build

Had a chance yesterday to get my car out for a short drive so took the opportunity to take a quick photo with the tailpipes.

Last edited by 85MUSTANGTGT; 04-23-2023 at 11:36 PM.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

I did some car tinkering over the weekend. The aluminum rivets holding the magnetic pick-up in my distributor worked loose allowing it to pull into and rub on the reluctor arms. Drilled the rivets out and replaced with screws and lock nuts. Fortunately, it still seems to be working fine, but plan to order a replacement soon to keep on hand. While I had it all apart, figured I would try some more ignition tuning.

I mentioned previously that I purchased Dynosim software to play with, mostly for S&G's, into which I inputted my engine combo. It has a feature that estimates ignition timing for best torque. For my engine it was indicating 23deg at 1500 RPM advancing to 30 degrees by 5000 RPM. I worked on setting up my distributor closer to what the software called for, ended up bumping initial timing some and limiting total quite a bit. Planning to do a few more rounds of tweaking, but holy crap what a difference!! Found a lot of that power I thought I was missing. Engine is sounding much happier now, too.

For whatever reason, most timing references state to aim for about 36deg total timing on a SBF - which is what I had been believing to be true. Granted all engines will want something different, at least in my case, those references appear to be way off. Maybe the refs I found were for engines with factory iron heads or less compression, who knows. I also realize that the software is not 100% accurate either, but it seems to be pointing me in the right direction.
    Thomas

347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

FEP Supporter

Interesting findings Thomas. Ya don't know until you know. BTW, the car looks great in the previous post!
    '85 GT

Thanks! Yup, just takes experimenting. Just wish I had more time to spend doing so. Don't get much done with an hour or so here and there. Got a lot of time to scheme and daydream, though....and second-guess myself.
    Last edited by 85MUSTANGTGT; 04-29-2023 at 03:31 PM.
    Thomas

Snagged a mildly rough-looking Cobra P/S cooler from eBay for pretty cheap. Didn't want to spend much as I had no idea if it would even fit. Initial measurements indicate it will, but I expect some slight notching of the fog light bar gusset will be needed. After a bit of tweaking and some time with a fin comb it looks a lot better. Hoping I'll have time to get it installed this weekend, will post more pics when I do.

Thomas

Guess I maybe spoke a bit too soon about ease of fitment. While there is plenty of room for the cooler inside the bumper cover, I didn't realize until I got it in there that the lower A/C condenser brackets were in the way. I screwed up and made the assumption that it would mount ahead of the condenser. I considered trying to modify the condenser brackets to move it up out of the way, but I couldn't get it high enough to clear. It needs about 1" to clear and I can only get about 1/2". For whatever reason I had been trying to avoid modifying the cooler itself, I guess trying to maintain that "factory look". I think that modifying the cooler is unavoidable at this point. Probably to be expected when fitting a part to a non-OE application. Part of me just hates cutting up perfectly good parts.

I think I can still get there though. As-is, the cooler mounts flat just ahead of the lower radiator support rail, basically at the lower edge of the opening in the bumper cover. I would envision little air would be flowing through this area, mostly flowing up through the condenser and into the radiator. I'm thinking now of modifying the cooler brackets to mount it in a vertical, on-edge orientation ahead of and even with the bottom edge of the condenser. In this higher position, I imagine the lines will need to run around the outside of the radiator support instead of through the oblong hole as the factory coolers do.

Of course, I came up with this new plan almost immediately after ordering an aftermarket cooler to install. Oh well, nice to have options I suppose.

To be continued...
    Last edited by 85MUSTANGTGT; 05-24-2023 at 03:42 PM.
    Thomas

Why do you need a P/S cooler? Or is it just a want, for the cool factor?

Btw, your car looks good. Love all the mods you've done to it.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Thank you, Sir.

Yes, just something I've wanted to do. Continuing with the theme of adding Cobra parts to my car. It has/had the factory un-finned loop steel tube cooler, which I always thought was probably not very effective and unimpressive.
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by 85MUSTANGTGT View Post
    Thank you, Sir.

Yes, just something I've wanted to do. Continuing with the theme of adding Cobra parts to my car. It has/had the factory un-finned loop steel tube cooler, which I always thought was probably not very effective and unimpressive.
    Gotcha. Cobra parts are cool additions.

An interesting factoid was that the 93 Cobra R, which was a manual transmission car only, came with the radiator from the automatic transmissioned Mustang. Ford plumbed the power steering fluid through the auto trans fluid cooler part of the radiator, in addition to the steel loop cooler, which in the Cobra R case had fins on it.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    Gotcha. Cobra parts are cool additions.

An interesting factoid was that the 93 Cobra R, which was a manual transmission car only, came with the radiator from the automatic transmissioned Mustang. Ford plumbed the power steering fluid through the auto trans fluid cooler part of the radiator, in addition to the steel loop cooler, which in the Cobra R case had fins on it.
    Interesting. Didn't know that about the 93 R. Need to do some reading on those cars when I get a chance. I've read of others using the trans fluid cooler in the radiator. Seems a little counter-productive to me, however, introducing additional heat into the coolant and only cooling the PS fluid to whatever the coolant temp may be. I guess that's "operating temp".

Progress Update....

As mentioned above, I decided to modify the cooler itself. Started by splitting the inlet/outlet lines so I can extend them. The sections of tube I cut off will mount to the side of the radiator support. Short sections of hose will connect them to the cooler.

I then started building a new bracket to mount the cooler. It will mount to two existing holes in the lower radiator support with j-nuts. Below is an in-progress photo. Hope to finish welding it up tomorrow. Once the bracket it done, it should just be a simple matter of mounting it in the car, running the lines, refilling the fluid, and putting everything back together.

Thomas

Took a little longer than I expected, but finished up the bracket and installed the cooler on the car. Hoped my welds would've looked better, but they're solid. Think this was only 3rd or 4th time messing with our TIG machine. All those jerk welders on youtube make it look easy.

Went ahead and painted the bracket to help hide some of those ugly welds then started fitting it back on the car. It fit as intended after some slight tweaking and a couple shims.

Installed the tubes and bracket that now go around the radiator support and connected the hoses. Unfortunately, the current routing of the tubes interferes with reinstallation of the DS fog light. Also unfortunately, my fog lights are in piss-poor shape. I'm thinking I'll just leave them out for now until I can do something with them. When I do I'll make new, rerouted the cooler tubes.

My pitiful-looking fog lights. As expensive as these things are, should I repair them, I'm almost afraid to put them back on to possibly get damaged. May search around to find some cheaper alternatives.

On to the next project, will update again soon.
    Thomas

Thomas -

It might look cool to instead put in some sort of black grille where the fog lights would traditionally go.

Just an idea?
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Or find a way to dummy in, without the actual lights, a set of these. It'd look like you had the foglights in there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364203640033

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    Or find a way to dummy in, without the actual lights, a set of these. It'd look like you had the foglights in there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364203640033

OOo......I like this idea better. Good call.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Thanks for the ideas, guys! Things to consider. Another idea I've pondered in the past is air inlet/brake cooling ducts. Just not sure how "racecar" I want my street car to be. If I did, I was planning to custom-make a pair of fiberglass scoops to fit the fog light openings that split off to go the the fenderwell air ducts and to the front brakes.

Seems like I've ran across those fog light covers on ebay before, but at the time didn't pay much attention to them. Oddly enough, an acquaintance just picked up a set at the recent Carlisle show (possibly same seller) and saw them in person this past weekend. Thought they looked pretty nice. I'll probably pick up a set soon also.
    Thomas

Decided to see what a Mach1 chin spoiler would look like. Think it turned out alright, but has a couple ripples I haven't been able to get straightened out yet.

Thomas

I like it Thomas, but I do wish there was a company out there that made a proper 85/86 splitter.

I think this one from Carter's Customs would work. I've emailed them and searched for a photo of this installed and haven't been able to find anything. From the photos it looks like it might obscure the fog light holes but, I have no idea without any tangible install pics.

https://c2aero.com/84-5-mustang-gt-f...treet-version/
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Thank you, Sir.

Yes, I do too - and affordable. That one in in your link looks nice, but damn thats expensive! I'd have to guess it installs under the edge of the bumper similar to the way this Mach1 chin spoiler installs.

I'd eventually like to make a splitter similar to the one in this thread, but when I priced aluminum it was about as expensive as the splitter in your link.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...s-as-requested
    Thomas

This past Saturday was the LMR Cruise-In. The wife and I, along with some friends, took our cars on the nearly 5 hr, 300 mile (one-way) trip to Texas Motor Speedway for the event. Spent quite a bit of time prepping the car for the trip. Thankfully it did great, but was a bit nerve-racking getting it so far from home. Didn't take many pictures, unfortunately, as I was busy just trying to take everything in. Saw many awesome cars and trucks and had a great time.

Here's a few pics I did take:

Had to make the obligatory In-N-Out stop:

Thomas

Couldn't help but notice you took the splitter off?

FYI It sounds like Maker's Garage will be producing a proper 84.5/86 piece around January which I'm excited to see.

Super jealous of the In-N-Out - What I'd give for an animal style double double and a shake right now
    Last edited by ITdude87; 11-22-2023 at 09:58 AM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Supporter

Sounds like you had a good time Thomas! Your car, and all the others, look fantastic!
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    Couldn't help but notice you took the splitter off?

FYI It sounds like Maker's Garage will be producing a proper 84.5/86 piece around January which I'm excited to see.

Super jealous of the In-N-Out - What I'd give for an animal style double double and a shake right now
    Actually, it started coming off in transit. Noticed it was hanging down at the first gas stop, pulled it off and tossed it in the hatch. Had been contemplating taking it off before the trip as I was afraid it didn't look that great with the wrinkles. However, I saw quite a few at the show that didn't look any better than mine. I'll need to order some replacement pins to put it back on if I decide to do so. I'm afraid that makers garage piece is going to be a bit above my budget, we'll see. It looks nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    Sounds like you had a good time Thomas! Your car, and all the others, look fantastic!
    Thanks! It was a lot of fun. I ended up in several of the pictures and videos on facebook. Made it in the backgound of a couple of the foxcast videos, too.

Hoping to start making it to more of these types of shows/meets. I had planned to go to the foxfest in Dearborn back in July, but didn't feel the car was ready. I'm hoping to make it in 2024, though not sure how much I'm looking forward to the 12+hr drive.
    Last edited by 85MUSTANGTGT; 11-24-2023 at 08:12 PM.
    Thomas

FEP Supporter

I'd love to start going to events. Maybe in the next few years I can try to make it a priority. They always seem like a blast!
    '85 GT

Meant to post this before, screenshot from the LMR Find-Your-Ride Youtube video. (Apparently the auto-save on here keeps things for quite awhile.)

I'm at about 3:45 - https://youtu.be/y9WKbvSH7Z0?si=tY7Uo2gIiJPGpiON

Thomas

Well, it's that time of year again where I plan all kinds of winter car projects, put them off for the next several months until it warms up, then hurriedly try to get a couple of them done in the spring once driving season starts. Though I think it ends up being more of just a 2024 list that I'll work on throughout the year.

Winter/2024 project list:
    - Reinstall cruise control components
    - Upgrade radiator
    - Fox-length axle shafts and requisite caliper brackets
    - New tires
    - Annular booster upgrade for carb
    - Refinish gauge panel & add low fuel light
    - Rewire power for AFR gauge & finish USB port wiring
    - Maybe piddle some with the datalog project

After the LMR trip, I've decided to attempt reinstalling my cruise/speed control system, for obvious reasons. My car was equipped with speed control from the factory. I had removed the major components years ago as previous intake fire destroyed the end of the cable. In my infinite early-twenties-something wisdom, I felt that was a better solution than sourcing a cable and adapter at the time. Fortunately, a friend had a parts car of which I've been able to source a replacement cable and adapter clip, along with an amplifier module to replace my misplaced original. So hopefully it won't be too much work to bolt this stuff back on and have it functioning as it should.

When I built my 347, I installed a new single-core aluminum/plastic tank parts store radiator. It has been adequate for my predominantly around-town driving, but on longer drives in the heat of summer I've noticed it struggles to keep up. It has also had an incessant weep from one of the tank seams. With future trips being planned, a new 2 or 3-row radiator is in order.

My rear axle is the '94-98 setup. With 275/40 tires on my '03 Cobra wheels they are just slightly proud of the fender lips. Again, after the LMR trip, I came home to find bits of tire stuck in said fender lips. Every overpass and dip or bump in the highway resulted in tire scrub. It's been a known, but not huge issue with the usual around-town driving, slow-speeds and can slow or avoid bad road areas. However with the need of new tires, I think it's probably time this be addressed. Thinking I'll upgrade to a 31-spline setup while I'm at it. Probably pick up one of the inexpensive 31-spline trac-lok units off eBay, then get the axles and brackets from LMR.

As for the other items on the list, the booster upgrade is part of my never-ending quest for the "perfect" carburetor. Doing out of curiosity, mostly. My gauge panel needs repainted and thought I'd like to try making the low fuel light functional while its out and since removing the graphic warning display from the console. I cheated a bit when I initially wired in my AFR gauge. It works, but isn't quite correct per the instructions. Plan to remedy that along with wiring in a USB port which I've already started installing (see pic below). I've already talked a bit about the datalog setup previously. Still messing with it off & on, but think the plans for it are closer to coming together. Hopefully get the last of the odds-n-ends needed for it and finally get started on installing it.

One thing I have already done is reinstalled my original 1G pulley on my 3G alternator and swap to a larger V6 P/S pulley. The rebuilt junkyard alternator I am using I believe was from a V6 car and had a larger pulley on it, resulting in it being under-driven. At the time I installed the alternator I didn't pay much attention to the pulley size, but have since noticed the lights would dim if the idle dipped low enough. My original 1G pulley fit with a shim behind the pulley. It's probably fine, but will probably replace with the proper pulley later on. As for the P/S pulley, and aside from the ever-present pump whine (that I had thought I cured a few years ago), I noticed on the LMR trip last November that in long sweeping curves on the highway I was feeling a surging/pulsing in the steering wheel.... mildly annoying. The V6 pulleys are pretty cheap, so decided to throw one on to see if it will make any difference. Calculations indicate a 20% reduction in pump speed, which I hope will help with the over-boosted, pulsing feel. The weather has not been favorable here since getting them installed to test yet, unfortunately. If the pulley doesn't help, I'm already working on a different pump replacement solution, we shall see.

Pulleys Swapped:

Something else I hadn't mentioned here yet was I added these R&M Specialties wire looms. Actually did these back in November before the LMR trip. Not the best pic to show them, but nice to not have my plug wires all over the place anymore.

This is the USB port I installed in place of the cigarette lighter in the center console. Still need to wire it up, which I plan to do when rewiring power to my AFR gauge.

Last edited by 85MUSTANGTGT; 03-20-2024 at 09:12 AM.
    Thomas

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast