Close

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 1985 GT Build

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    imho, Drop the electronics untill you get it tuned right Mikes way, and then concentrate on optimizing your DSII and try a 20 dollar knock sensor.

My South African friends whos forefathers were ejected from Europe by totalitarianism got it best.

There is no money tree,
    only a knowledge tree which you action with effort and perserverance
    and deciding not to network with all and sundry.

Keep away from this....

I'm with Mike though...Holley 4bbl carb and a good Duraspark II base, and some proper thought, and your in.

Mikes way is best.

Ist Get into your carb and clean and do the Mike Mods.

This will end up exactly the same as the 1985 Ford Falcon Cross flow six making 141 hp did in our little XF Falcon sedans down here. A lean cruise car that with a 4 or 5 speed manual gearbox does 17 second quarter miles with better economy than the 4 or five speed Port EFi 4.1 liter 162 hp version. The whole movement towards 14.7 or 15.2:1 close loop motoring was the ultimate con job.
    Totalitarianism is precisely where we are at, right now... more specifically, we've got nothing but a corrupt bunch of apparent one side or the other, blue team or red team (AKA divide and conquer), corporatist puppets no longer doing anything anywhere near serving the people, as they are supposed to be doing. Capitalism is eating itself, and we're in for a helluva bumpy ride right shortly... buckle up my 'democratic republic' friends...

Thank you very much for the kudos... I have often been accused of and come across as being a "know it all"... nothing could be further from the truth... I love nothing better than to help people, and I have learned what I now know and say online in this forum and others...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 10-01-2019 at 04:05 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Not sure what Holley's deal is with their newer carbs. Whether it's just ignorance, budget-cutting, or there is some ulterior motives at work.

As far as 3310 progress, I lied, found more to do. Drilled and tapped all air bleeds. 10-32 for PIAB, 6-32 for all others. Installed matching restrictors to the pressed-in bleeds (.078 PIAB / .028 SIAB, .028 PMAB / .025 SMAB). Hoping to get some parts ordered this weekend. Once they arrive I should be able to get this thing to usable condition.

Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Very nice
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Some of my parts came today. Electric choke kit installed. Have a secondary metering block to sort through then should be ready to slap the bowls on this and give her a go.

Thomas

347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

see below

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy
    The whole movement towards 14.7 or 15.2:1 close loop motoring was the ultimate con job.
    The issue is that is the 1975 to 1991 carb correction required to operate in an OEM market with a carb mandated this figure. Bowl venting, and evaproative emissions was said to be an issue, but huge steps were made to fix this by Carter/Rochester/Holley/ Motorcraft/Weber.

The was a technical need to go open and closed loop feedback on a carb to 14.7:1 in pre-oxygenated gas, but that really didn't exist until after the last 1991 Police Ford Crown Victoria PI with the 5.8 L (351 cu in) V8 engine and it's Motorcraft 2-BBL carb. Technically, other contries have only US 1975 unleade gas standards, so your Kiwi and Aussie mates down here had Mitsubishi Vans with carbs right up till 2003....

By 1996 and OBDII in the USA, it was a given that carbs were gonna be out of contention.

Evaporation emissions might have been said to be the reason for the Isuzu based Geo and Ford Festiva being the last cars to have carbs, but turbo carb cars and special intake systems don't have an issue, and it was actually the matters with cold start component durability, where to put the air cleaner for cold start heated air access and cost to log the "keep alive" diagnostic Test Codes of the performance tune of a carb that removed it. Emissions wise, it atomized well enough, and the 14.7 or oxygenated gasoline's 15.2:1 measure was easy to control. The big four, um, three decided to plead no contest by 1993.

No one has the balls to risk a BOV, CARB, EPA, or SEMA blacklist on the stock 1975-1991 unleaded gas fuel calibration for any carb car. Holley CANNOT make a proper, righteous 1957 to 1971 style 4bbl carb that is an OEM replacement that is assuredly able to meet the EO requirements of each 1975-1991 year.

Yet you can pull off a huge amount of your emissions gear on your 258 or 304 Jeep, and with a 46 step plan to automotive nirvana, bolt on, say, a Holley Sniper Carter BBD replacement.

In so doing, you get the worst ignition, worst intake manifold, and an electric fuel pump which won't scavenge, and a car that won't meet the Fed emissions, that looks stock, and puts 2500 bucks back into USA's corporation. And a really cool computer which uses fuzzy logic and Lilliput screen data management to keep an engine running. In most case, the stock intake manifolds (like the Jeep 258 and any emissions era V8's), THEY are exceptionally bad, but contain EGR, and stock emissions gear, so they aren't black-flagged. Or the truck or car is ostensibly off road or a permitted "classic" outside the years of concern. And its probably about time this happened.

Economics and what I call a measure of "snake oil" is why retarded New Order CFi systems with downgraded (not even TFi or Duraspark III) ignitions are suddenly sold and marketed. I'm actually okay with this...if people are okay with this. Its like the old nasty adage. "Its okay to screw people. If they know they are being screwed. And like it"....

Its not corporate greed, its marketing, baby....victory goes to the brave....

What is important is a stock 1958- 1976 non reverse idle Holley 2300/4150/4160, 4500's or even 4165/4175 is able to fly a home made V8 plane, and Holley do themselves a dis-service if they attenuate there previously excellent 1, 2, 3 and 4-bbl Carb information base.

Irrespective, Mike has set up his website, and disseminated great information to help people create a flat fuel delivery system using simple parts. I applaud his efforts.

For any stroker 5.0, people now have a choice over the stock 4180, and that is:-

1. a good old similar looking 4150 or 4160 and Duraspark (or Duraspark looking device with lookup TFi inside),

2. which uses modern science and sensibility to make a proper engine idle, warm up and make power with good economy.

3. The emissions side of things, others have been dealing with that.

At a personal level, the Aftermarket Throttle Body Injection system to replace a 1, 2 OR 4BBL carb, or a stock EFi system considered "bad"....this has opened the door to potentially dangerous fuel delivery and a bunch of involved processes which are often executed poorly.

At birth, most of the 2 and 4bbl Throttle Body EFi systems do work, and they are also propped up by armloads of well meaning follow up, and by North America's love of electronics and the promise of better Mouse Trap. Rather than knocking that as much as I could, I'll support visionaries who like Thomas and Mike who can actually think straight, and do something to suit there own needs for a better Mouse Trap.

I'm an emissions nut who has used the stock Ford IMCO and Thermactor stuff for many years, and not found it wanting. The differences in 1975- 1991 to model year carbs are the up to 100 other crutches Ford, AMC, Mopar and GM were forced to put into every Carter/Rochester/Holley/Autolite/ Motorcraft/Weber type carb used OEM or aftermarket.

Mike explains the differences from his practical experience and those of many others. There is always a simple way to set the whole air bleed, venturi, float, jet, power valve, PCVR, squirter, accelerator pump and choke indexes to have a Ford Mustang V8 work right off the bat. The background to this is the knowledge of Flow rates, and base timing and ways to get the initials crisp responses that have intoxicated V8 owners since the first OHV Ford V8's got modern Holley fuel systems in 1957 onwards

The basics of getting a 4bbl to run great on a 347 are in Mikes Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

If you have any issues on the ignition, emission or establishing a 100% feedback look up table supplied ignition or fuel delivery after you've done the basic dial in of a 3310, then contact me on FEP.

Mikes base-lining work is too good to be wasted on just a great 347/Holley 3310/Duraspark II performance package. The whole concept of being able to tailor air fuel and advance is about to be blown wide open by truly excellent control systems that don't force you to throw away a great Holley carb, and Autolite or Motorcraft ignition system. And that includes turbos and supercharged and nitrous and propane engines too.

Enjoy your work. Electric and Engineering technicians who learned from the late 1950's, 1960's, 1970's and 1980's masters of hydro- mechanical fuel delivery systems, and how to work Ignitions are taking over! None of that knowledge has ever died, it just needed a little tweaking!

Some progress for today. Ended up robbing a few parts from my "670" to get the 3310 together. Had ordered a pair of float damper springs and some inlet filters, but they didn't show up. Also, swapped over my throttle return springs and fuel hoses.

Got it sat on the manifold and started checking fit and clearances, but ran into an issue. My massaged factory heat shield has 1 1/2" holes for the primary bores which obviously is not going to work. Probably going to run without the heat shield for the time being, but would feel better with one there. Debating if I want to try enlarging the holes in my existing heat shield or just fab up a new one.

Unfortunately, that's as far as I got today. Had hoped to get it running, but ran out of time to do anymore. May try to connect everything up, get it started and set float levels one evening this week if time allows.

Thomas

Looks right at home there.

Good luck getting it situated the rest of the way.

Lookin' good, buddy!

Wanted to mention... I've got early 3310 primary and secondary metering blocks on my LIST-3310-4, and in attempt to get some more part turns out of my primary idle mixture screws, I removed the original up high 0.040" SIFR's and installed 0.031" down low... I've found that there's an approximate equivalent difference of about 0.004-0.005" between upper and lower SIFR's (uppers bigger - lowers smaller)... the cam in my 302 is fairly mild though a little bumpy, so I figured 0.035" up high would be better (though as mentioned above, elected to remove the up high restrictions and just add some down low, at 0.031"), so my secondary blades are cracked a wee bit more open (+~1/8 turn) from shut in their bores than I set them normally for a stock/mild combination (1/8-1/4 turn), so that I get approximate square primary transfer slots exposure below the primary throttle plates at idle and for ~750/550rpm (Park/Drive) idle speeds.

As well, here's at least one correction to a snowballed-now-for-decades obvious error:

A 3310 with a secondary metering block needs #84 secondary jets in it at least for starters. Think about it... how on earth do they think #75 jets on their own can provide enough wide open throttle fuel for bigger secondary venturi sizes (1-7/16") than the #72 jets up front with smaller primary venturi sizes (1-3/8") PLUS 0.063" PVCR's?... they can't... #84's should go in it out back, at least for starters and see how she runs... pretty sure #75's installed out back would cause a serious lean issue/meltdown. You suppose Holley is replacing nuked-from-WOT-high-load-high-rpm-lean-out through their "warranty" program from their own suggestion/fault? Yeah, right... I doubt that very much. Charts from the "experts" like the above continue to float around and be included with people's purchased secondary metering block addition/conversion kits... no doubt the reason you installed #75 secondary jets... still not corrected to this day... unreal. I mean seriously, hello?... the original base 3310 and 3310-1 (same bore and venturi sizes, and same or closely sized main air bleeds) used secondary power valves and came with #76 secondary main jets AND utilized 0.067" secondary PVCR's!

Keep us posted!
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 10-15-2019 at 10:09 AM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Sounds good, Mike. Per your PM and above, I'll swap in #84 secondary jets and some .031 SIFR's. Thanks.
    Thomas

SHE RUNS!!!!

Filled bowls of "new" carb with fuel and fired right up. Set float levels and made some idle mixture adjustments. Somehow managed to nail the idle speed settings, fell right into a nice 700 rpm idle once the choke came off. Think it's only going to need some minor tweaks. It's running slightly on the rich side, but it drove pretty well - I dare say better that the mostly-dialed "670". Drove the car to dinner with the wife and even she noticed a difference that it was running better. Pretty happy so far, anxious to see what happens with some more tuning. Definitely going to need to figure out a heat shield.

Something else accomplished -
    A week or two ago, someone posted about needing the plastic sleeves for the seat belt buckles and another responded with links for the updated recall pieces. My car never had the recall done, still had the white sleeves (one anyway), so I ordered a set. The sleeve in my drivers side seat belt has hung on all these years, but the passenger side disintegrated years ago. Kit came in the mail a few days ago, got them installed today. Photo below shows remains of my one original, 35 year old seat belt sleeve along with the kit packaging (if someone needs a P/N reference).

Thomas

Great news!
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Haven't made much progress tuning the new carb. On the third trip out after getting the carb installed my alternator quit charging. Was bummed and didn't go out in the garage for awhile, but last week I successfully diagnosed and replaced a faulty voltage regulator. Hopefully I can occasionally catch some decently warm days to get my car out and continue working on tuning in the near future.

Since the weather's started getting colder, I started looking for something car related I could work on in the house. Decided to resurrect the air cleaner project. Came up with a plan for a probably-overly-complicated linkage to relocate the snorkel vacuum motors (interfere w/ strut tower brace). The vacuum motors will be mounted on the side of the air cleaner base. The motors will then operate a convoluted system of bell-cranks an pushrods which will in turn operate the warm air flapper in the snorkel. Below are pics of the snorkel portion of the linkage. Still need to make the vacuum motor mounts and another pair of bell-cranks that will mount in the base. Not sure if all this is worth the effort, but so far it's all going as planned and keeping me occupied until the next hair-brained idea hits me.

Snorkel Linkage Parts:

Snorkel Linkage Fit-Up:
    Thomas

Thanks, xctasy.

Hope to have more progress to post soon.
    Thomas

Bit of a crappy pic (took late last night), but made some paper mock-ups of the vac motor mounts. The one in the pic fit pretty well, need to tweak the opposite side though. Now to form them up in aluminum.

Thomas

Looks like I've got some rear axle work in my future. Took my car out for a drive a couple nights ago, starting to get a pretty loud growl. Actually been doing it for awhile, but seems to be getting worse. In denial I guess. Time to tear into it soon and see whats going on. Not looking forward to that.

Haven't got a whole lot done on the air cleaner linkage, but making some progress. Cut out a piece of aluminum, sprayed on some layout dye and started laying out my vacuum motor mounts. Slowly coming along.

Thomas

Making some progress on air cleaner project. Vacuum motor mounts are essentially complete, just lack drilling mounting holes. Took a few tries to get them done. First attempt ended with some mis-drilled holes, used it for testing the stamp I made to form the motor mount slot. Attempt #2 ended after I stamped the slot from the wrong side causing vacuum motor to be oriented 90 deg off. Chalk those up to learning experience, I guess. Third time was the charm, though. Made it through the layout, drilling, stamping, trimming and forming without screwing them up. Think they somewhat resemble the paper mock-ups I made.

Next is to get these fit to the air cleaner base then move on to fabbing the rest of the linkage.

Vacuum Motor Tab Slot Forming Test:

Attempt #3 (Pre-Bending):

Vacuum Motor Test Fit:

Mounts Formed:
    Thomas

More air cleaner progress. Accomplished fitting the new vacuum motor mount to the air cleaner base. Continuing work on remainder of linkage.

Vacuum Motor Mount Fit-up:

Linkage Planning:

Base Lever Set:

Vac Motor Rollers:

And for those of you who may still be trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing, here's a screenshot of the CAD layout that I've been working from:
    Thomas

Air cleaner is finished (finally) and ready to install pending some PCV rework and coil relocation.

Completed Passenger Side Linkage:

Completed Drivers Side Linkage:

Refurbed Vacuum Connector:

Vacuum Plumbing:

Final Assembly:
    Thomas

Nice.

Everything that rusted out is now Internal and likely to work for ages. This is probably what Ford should have done in 1979 with the first dual snorkle 429 and Holley 4180C or whatever carb it was that replaced the Big Block Motorcraft 750 4350 in the F series Trucks.

That is pretty freaking cool! How did you form the vacuum motor mounts? Do you have access to a laser and a press or did you do that by hand?

Where I work, we are getting ready to move from importing our product to making it. I'm salivating at what I can do with a 3k fiber laser, turret punch and press brakes! (if the boss will let me)
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Thanks guys.

The vacuum motor mounts were all done by hand. Cut with with aviation snips and bent up in a small machinists vise. Wish I had access to a laser or waterjet and a brake. Hopefully someday. There's a lot of expensive tools I'd like to have.
    Thomas

Have a few little things to straighten up, but for all intents and purposes, air cleaner is done and installed. Had to make a make a new PCV tube to run to the rear vacuum port on the 3310. Finished making up breather hose and vacuum supply hose. The repro flexible ducts I bought that attach between the snorkel and fenderwell inlets were nowhere near flexible enough to work with my modified snorkel geometry. Ended up ordering neoprene duct hose from McMaster-Carr which I was able to make work without much trouble. Plan to test it out tomorrow.

New PCV tube:

Air Cleaner Installed:
    Thomas

Nothing major going on here other than driving and carb tuning as time allows. Planning what projects I want tackle over the winter. Got some oil and coolant leaks I'd like to get fixed and have a rear axle noise I've been ignoring for awhile I need to investigate.

Participated in the Trunk-or-treat put on by the local car group last night. Was a good time and saw quite a few nice cars. Had a pretty nice '80 Fairmont park next to me. Other than some dents and dings, was in pretty nice shape. Talked to the owner a bit said it only had like 7300 miles on it. Is a 6-cyl car. Was a few other foxes present also, but didn't get much chance to take pictures before it got dark unfortunately.

Thomas

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast