Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1985 GT Build

Default 1985 GT Build

Thought I'd share my project with everyone.

As mentioned in my intro post, I’ve owned my ’85 GT for about 15 years. I started modding/restoring it in 2006. Started with 5-lug/brake upgrade, followed by suspension work. Car had been smacked in the drivers door a couple times and had some crappy body and paint work done, so I redid the bodywork and repainted it in 2009. Built the 347 in 2012. Made repairs and other minor upgrades in between those times.

I’ve been building this totally for my amusement. Not trying to do anything crazy with it, just a relatively simple, quick, great-handling street car. No wild bodywork, no crazy engine combos. No plans currently to do racing of any kind, nor make it any kind of a show car. Looking to keep this car reasonably reliable and with decent drivability. Something I can jump in and go somewhere whenever without much, if any, fiddling – start it up and go.

List of Current Mods:

Suspension/Steering/Brakes:
    - MM Subframe Connectors
    - MM Strut Tower Brace
    - MM K-Member Brace
    - MM C/C Plates
    - MM Torque Arm
    - MM Panhard Bar
    - MM AdjustableLCA’s
    - MM Steering Shaft
    - Prothane Bushings
    - MM R&T Front Springs/H&R Super Race Rear Springs
    - Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks
    - SN95 5-Lug / Cobra Brakes
    - SS-Braided Brake Hoses
    - ’03 Cobra Wheels

Engine/Drivetrain:
    - Fordstrokers 347 (Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Forged Flat-top Pistons)
    - AFR 185cc Heads 58cc Chamber
    - Comp Custom Billet Hyd Roller Cam (.526/.532, 214/222, 110)/Lifters/Pushrods
    - Scorpion 1.6 Rockers
    - Prof. Products Crosswind Intake
    - Holley 670cfm Street Avenger Carb
    - Canton 7qt. Oil Pan
    - ARP Fasteners
    - BBK Equal-length Shorty Headers
    - BBK O/R H-Pipe
    - Flowmaster 40-Series Mufflers
    - FRPP Billet Steel Flywheel
    - Spec 10.5” Stage 1 Clutch
    - T-5 w/ Steel Bearing Retainer & Astro Cluster Support Plate
    - B&M Shifter
    - FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft
    - 8.8 w/ 3.55 gears

Interior:
    - Autometer Gauges - Tach, Speedo, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Volts, Fuel Level, Vacuum (mounted in custom panel and pillar pod)
    - Innovate DLG-1 A/F Gauge (mounted in console)

Body:
    - Repainted Med. Charcoal Metallic (1B) w/ Black Trim
    - SVO Sail Panels

Miscellaneous:
    - 130A 3G Alternator
    - PMGR Starter
    - Ford Keyless Entry System

Before

Now

Gauges

Engine

Below is a short, non-inclusive list of short- & long-term plans I have for my car:
    - SS Brake Hard Lines – Wanting to replace the existing 32-year-old factory brake hard-lines, figure probably good insurance.
    - Magnaflow Converters – Plan to install some catalytic converters once tuning is done, get tired of smelling like exhaust after going for a drive.
    - Complete Rewire – 32-year-old factory under-hood wiring has seen better days, starting to make me nervous. Probably going to see about doing this over the coming winter.
    - Fuel Injection? (Megasquirt?, Holley?) – Considering converting to fuel injection for drivability reasons, will probably do this in conjunction with the rewire project unless carb issues are resolved between now and then.
    - Refurb Interior (Seats, Headliner, Carpet?) – At some point need to address interior issues listed.
    - Roll Bar (MM?, Custom?) – Thinking a roll bar might be a nice addition.
    - T-56 Kit – My slightly modified T-5 has been holding up behind my 347 on street tires, but not sure what might happen if stickier tires are put on. Thought a 6-speed would be nice, particularly the version with the 0.50:1 OD. With my current 3.55 rear gears, that would give me a slightly taller final drive ratio than the stock 2.73/0.68 OD T5 final drive. Thinking this would be nice when going on cruises or should I ever want to take the car on a trip of some kind.

Currently, and slowly over the last couple years, efforts have been trying to get the carb dialed in. I installed the A/F gauge last summer, which helped immensely, but still fighting some issues. Attempting to determine if problem is ignition or carb related.Been getting increasingly frustrated with this, leading to my consideration of changing to fuel injection, though may still be chasing the same problems there as well. I’ll be posting another thread on this when I can collect some more data and get a chance to put something together.

This is enough to get started. I’ll add more pictures soon, need to take some new & better ones.

Will be adding to this thread when I can.

Question & Comments welcome. Hope you enjoy.
    Last edited by 85MUSTANGTGT; 08-17-2018 at 08:48 AM. Reason: fix photos
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Man, what a sweet car, That Medium Charcoal has got to be one of my top 3 favorite colors on a fox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Missed this the first time thru. Very nice!

Mike

Thanks guys.

Hope to have some progress to post soon.

- Thomas

Thought I would post up my buck tag for those interested parties.

As decoded by FoxChassis's handy-dandy decoder:
    MUSTANG = Mustang model line
    147941 = 47,941st 1985 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly
    61B = Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    M = H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    MO = moonroof (sunroof)
    0786 = body & paint rotations #0786
    1BB = Medium Charcoal Metallic exterior paint color
    DF
    ST
    AC = manual air conditioner
    04 = YES rear defrost, YES rear wing
    HB = heated backlite (rear defrost)
    S = speed control (cruise control)
    GT = GT model/trim level
    WD = power side windows (W), power door locks (D)
    MBW = manual Borg Warner transmission (5-speed T-5)
    01 = no hood scoop
    EL
    A = Charcoal/Grey interior trim color
    X
    NLR

Unfortunately and much to my disappointment, my build sheet did not survive the past 32 years. Thought it would have been pretty cool to see all the info they used to build my car.

Being my drivers door was replaced, my VCL tag is gone also.

Thinking I'll order a Marti Report and possibly my Eminger invoice sometime in the future.

- Thomas
    Last edited by 85MUSTANGTGT; 07-08-2017 at 10:01 PM. Reason: fix photos

If you've been following my carb tuning / drivability thread, you will have read I am planning to reinstall my original factory air cleaner. Last week I pulled it off the shelf to assess repairs and modifications needed, then disassembled everything.

I found one of the vacuum motors for the warm air ducts is in-op, will replace both as I'm sure the other isn't far behind. The flexible air inlet ducts that attach to the fenderwells are falling apart, so those will need replaced as well. With my slightly taller that stock intake manifold, the snorkels run right into the strut tower brace. I'll be needing to modify them so they angle downward more to clear. Also I may look into some kind of quick-release fastener to attach the snorkels to the base to ease removal/installation.

Time permitting, hope to have the snorkels modified by end of the week.

More to follow.....
    Last edited by 85MUSTANGTGT; 07-08-2017 at 10:07 PM. Reason: fix photos

Made a bit of progress on my air cleaner over last few days. Started modifying the snorkels and was able to get the assembly fitted on the car, but need to work them a bit more for additional clearance with the strut tower brace. As you can see though, the real clearance issue is the vacuum motors. I'm considering trying to "remote-mount" them to avoid changing the snorkels any more than necessary. We'll see.

Ordered the replacement inlet tubes from LMR yesterday, should receive them tomorrow and can make some more progress.

Last edited by 85MUSTANGTGT; 07-08-2017 at 10:10 PM. Reason: fix photos
    Thomas

347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

FEP Supporter

Great project! I love the subtle mods especially the SVO sails and how you seem to have kept the functionality of the "idiot" lights on the left side of the cluster. Could you post up a higher res pic of just that area to reveal the detail?
    '85 GT

Thanks qikgts.

Here is a close up from the original pic and a couple pics from when I was assembling the gauge panel. See if these are any better.

I bought a spare instrument panel bezel and made aluminum inserts to hold the Autometer gauges. The "idiot lights" are part of the factory gauge cluster, so I bought some panel mount indicator lights from an electronics supplier and mounted them in their own aluminum panel. I did the lettering with water-slide alphabet decals I found at the local hobby shop. I kept the "Seat Belt", "Brake", and "Low Oil" lights, changed the "Upshift" light to be the "Hi Beam" indicator. Unfortunately the only light that currently works is the Hi Beam indicator, but hope to remedy that with the upcoming rewire project. The seat belt and park lights haven't worked for quite a while, I suspect I have some broken wires somewhere. Lost the low oil light sensor when I installed the new engine in favor of an oil temp sensor, may repurpose it into a low fuel light as I recently ditched the graphic warning module.
    Last edited by 85MUSTANGTGT; 07-08-2017 at 10:25 PM. Reason: fix photos
    Thomas

FEP Supporter

Those pics make it real easy to see. Thanks for sharing!

The water-slides with the indicator lamps are a great idea! Much better than leaving them non-functioning or blacked out.

I did a Dakota Digital cluster in my '85 and haven't addressed them so right now they're dead. Maybe I'll do something similar to your idea down the road.
    '85 GT

No problem, qikgts. Good luck with your indicator lamp project.
    Thomas

No new pics to post, but have made some progress since last post.

Getting closer with carb tuning (see carb tuning thread link in post #6). Would say I'm 95% of the way there. A/F gauge showing all the right numbers in all the right places. Not sure I can do much more with it until I can install some kind of datalogging device (Innovate Aux-Box) to monitor RPM, throttle position & manifold pressure in conjunction with A/F ratio.

Also, been working more on air cleaner fitment. Made some tweaks on the snorkels, but still need to do a bit more. Did manage to reinstalled the fenderwell duct pieces and test fit replacement flexible inlet ducts. Turned in to more of a project than I expected, having to relocate and reroute things.

Hoping to get some garage time over the long holiday weekend and see what more I can get done.
    Thomas

New converters came in the mail today, Magnaflow 59956. Seen these recommended here on the forum in a few threads. Hope to get these installed soon.

We'll see how long my pics last. Been a PB user for nearly 10 years. Have to figure out another way to post pics soon, I guess. Fortunately, haven't posted a ton of them yet.
    Last edited by 85MUSTANGTGT; 07-08-2017 at 10:12 PM. Reason: fix photos
    Thomas

Some minor, but noteworthy news.

A buddy offered me the original steering rack from his 2004 Mach 1 (SPR ZK). I know it's not the sought after Cobra piece, but couldn't argue with the price (free) and it's a step in the right direction. Guess I'll be buying a MM Conversion steering shaft soon. Will be anxious to see how different it is compared to the Cardone-rebuilt stock rack in the car now.

Thomas

Hey All –

Haven’t posted an update in a while, thought I’d do so. Haven’t accomplished as much as I’d like since last fall, never seems to be enough time or money. Do what I can when I can.

I’ve still been tuning on my carb. I think the idle, transition and main circuits are pretty close, so decided to start playing with the accelerator pump nozzles and cams. Bumped from a .031 to .035 nozzle, which improved throttle response significantly.

Last fall I started an attempt to refit my factory air cleaner. A couple months ago, I fit all the parts back on the car to review interferences. After determining all the changes needed and not really coming up with a simple way to solve them I’ve decided I’m going to shelve the project for now. I’ll revisit the project later when I have more time as I’d really like to have it on the car. Maybe I’ll have some epiphany on how to route everything to clear between now and then.

As for actual progress in regard to modifications, I’ve started prepping the Mach 1 rack. So far, I’ve installed a new set of Fox inner tie rods, outer rod ends and installed new bellows. I now have the steering shaft on order from MM, once that arrives I should be ready to install rack in the car. So hopefully have this done later this month.

I’ve also been working some on the remainder of datalogging setup. I mentioned previously about using an Innovate Motorsports LMA-3 Aux-Box to log RPM, throttle position and manifold pressure/vacuum, linking it with my existing DLG-1 A/F gauge. IM has since discontinued the LMA-3, so I guess I’ll be using their SSI-4+ instead, that is unless I get a used or NOS LMA-3 from eBay or somewhere. Anyways, a couple weeks ago I procured a cheap Taurus throttle body and proceeded to hack it up for the TPS, mounting flange and throttle shaft. Yes, I know there are kits to mount a TPS on a Holley, but all the ones I’ve seen seem a bit pricey and use a weird (I assume GM) sensor. For now, my plan is to remote-mount it on the throttle arm side of the carb and operate it with a linkage. Once I get the TPS done I’ll source a MAP sensor and get the SSI-4 ordered.

Have a couple other odds-n-ends I plan to do this month as well.

Rack prep in progress:

TPS Sensor Mount:

Will update as things progress.
    Thomas

Well, expected to have this done sooner, but '04 rack is finally installed. Still have a few things to finish up while the car is still on the stands so haven't driven it yet, planning to do that this weekend.

Thomas

Cool build! Finally was able to access this thread, nice job!

Thank you, Sir.
    Thomas

Incredible, Thomas! She's gorgeous, and I love the dash! Glad I can finally get in here to see!
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Thanks, Mike. I'm proud of her. Have done all of the work myself, except for just a couple things.

Need to get some fresh pics of her soon. Hoping to get some time tomorrow to get her out of the garage and try out the new rack, try and get some pics then.
    Thomas

The fact you have done the majority of the work shows, my friend.

Interesting, I read that, the rack switch. Looking forward to hearing your results how it works. I'm planning to not bother running a PS pump in mine. My '80 Capri RS Turbo I had years ago had a manual rack... which gave up the ghost at a point... the pinion bearing took a dump, and I was going straight instead of turning onto the highway out of a friend's place, lol... I put a boneyard PS rack into it, added some fluid, and looped the fitting connections that would have been the hoses to and from a pump... it acted just like the manual rack did as far as I could tell, and I didn't mind it.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

My weekend ended up being unproductive car-wise, got roped into mowing lawns and other various and assorted crap. Had a bit of time Saturday, went out to start the car up to finish bleeding the power steering and check for leaks, battery was dead. Even with being kept on a battery tender and disconnect. Pretty well killed the mood. I'll throw it on the charger soon and see what happens. It's still under warranty, hopefully parts store will give me another if it **** the bed.

Even with my careful measurements, it looks like my toe setting is off after centering the rack and aligning steering wheel. LF wheel looks fairly straight, but RF is toed out quite a bit. Going to try to get this sorted this week.

Mike -
    I've been anxious to see how much difference in feel the '04 rack makes. When I did all my suspension work about 10 years ago, I thought I was being smart replacing my rack, pump and hoses (not originals, had already been replaced back in the 90's). Ever since my '07-08 replacement, I've fought leaks and excessively loud pump whine. Some how, when engine is above 1000 RPM or so, the system sucks in air somewhere and foams the fluid in the pump reservoir. I've replace the rack, pump (under warranty) and hoses at least twice since then trying to alleviate the issue to avail, so far. I'm hoping this factory original '04 rack may solve this issue. We'll see in a few days, I guess.
    Last edited by 85MUSTANGTGT; 08-22-2018 at 10:10 PM.
    Thomas

So tonight I pulled the battery out and took it to the parts store to let them test it. Tested bad, received free replacement.

Can now continue on with bleeding the power steering and getting my toe adjusted, hopefully in next few days.
    Thomas

Lots of progress, nice work. I’ve been following your thread.

Personally I love the stock rack feel after the pump is under driven around 15% and fluid is replaced with full synthetic.

Thanks, James. Following your '85 & '86 builds also, look forward to seeing more. Hopefully you can get your engine situation sorted out soon.

Seems many make claims that the SN rack is such an improvement. When a buddy offered to give this rack to me curiosity got the better of me.
    Thomas

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast