Close

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 1985 GT Build

Still nothing major going on here car-wise. Been side-tracked this winter with other projects, but weather getting nicer here. Was nice enough to get the car out of the garage over the weekend and cruise around a bit. Made some carb tweaks which seems to have helped a stumble issue I was experiencing. Hoping to get to those issues soon I referenced in my previous post.

During the ice/snow storm a few weeks ago I broke down and bought a dyno simulator program to play with. Not sure how accurate it is, but is interesting to play with different aspects (ignition timing, valve events, etc.) and see how the power curve changes. Below is what the program calculated for my current setup. Numbers seem reasonable.

Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

A friend and I are planning to take our cars on a day-trip next month so decided it was a good excuse to start fixing my oil and coolant leaks. Pulled engine and trans over the past weekend. Thinking I missed sealant in those strategic places when I originally assembled the engine. Oil pan and timing cover coming off for new gaskets and sealant. Trans getting resealed also, along with some cleaning any tidying. With any luck, there will be no more oil slicks wherever I park after all this.

Thomas

347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Beautiful car, nicely done

Thank you for the compliment, K_Mac.

Happy to report that the resealing project was successful. No more oil and coolant leaks!!!! Since my last post there were many long evenings spent in the garage getting everything back together. Was fortunate to have the help of my friend who I went on the trip with and my Dad, probably wouldn't have finished otherwise. Was cutting it close being ready for the trip.

Also happy to report that the trip was successful, made it to our destination and back home without incident. Was a bit nerve-racking getting out in my car so far from home, but really enjoyed taking my car on the trip. Was about 200 miles total. This is the furthest my cars been away from the garage in quite awhile. I've been threatening to do it for years, but the trip has renewed a serious interest in putting tailpipes back on. I was actually was considering doing tailpipes before the trip, just didn't have time. I think they'll be on this winters to-do list.
    Last edited by 85MUSTANGTGT; 10-06-2021 at 10:35 AM.
    Thomas

Default Nice

Quote Originally Posted by 85MUSTANGTGT View Post
    Thank you for the compliment, K_Mac.

Happy to report that the resealing project was successful. No more oil and coolant leaks!!!! Since my last post there were many long evenings spent in the garage getting everything back together. Was fortunate to have the help of my friend who I went on the trip with and my Dad, probably wouldn't have finished otherwise. Was cutting it close being ready for the trip.

Also happy to report that the trip was successful, made it to our destination and back home without incident. Was a bit nerve-racking getting out in my car so far from home, but really enjoyed taking my car on the trip. Was about 200 miles total. This is the furthest my cars been away from the garage in quite awhile. I've been threatening to do it for years, but the trip has renewed a serious interest in putting tailpipes back on. I was actually was considering doing tailpipes before the trip, just didn't have time. I think they'll be on this winters to-do list.
    Any more updates?
    1984 Mustang LX
    302, Holley 4bbl 600 vac sec
    B&M C4 R servo
    Shorty Headers
    MSD Box and Coil
    Scorpion Roller Rockers 1.6
    Crower Cam 472 112 seperation
    Chetah Shifter
    Performer RPM Intake
    Carter Electronic Fuel Pump
    Accel Eletronic Dizzy

Hi flyboy, thanks for checking in.

Unfortunately no, I haven't had a chance to do anything with my car over the winter. As usual, family and other projects have been been consuming my free time and money. Tailpipes are still next on the list to accomplish, hoping to make that happen sometime later this spring. Only thing worth mentioning is this past October I ordered a Marti report and Eminger invoice for my car. I haven't posted about them because I haven't yet received the invoice. Was waiting to post them at the same time, but guess I could go ahead and post the report; will post the invoice once it arrives.

Hopefully this is readable.

Thomas

Ordered new tailpipes last week, showed up today. These are the 2½" stainless ones from LMR. Still need to order new exhaust hangers and some other odds-n-ends before they can be installed.

Thomas

Decided to send an email to Marti inquiring about my invoice I ordered last fall mentioned previously. They replied that they don't have the invoice for my car. A bit disappointed, but is what it is. Was hoping to have some factory documentation of my car after finding only a (what I assume to be) deteriorated fragment of my build sheet years ago.
    Thomas

Air cleaner is finished (finally) and ready to install pending some PCV rework and coil relocation.

Completed Passenger Side Linkage:

Completed Drivers Side Linkage:

Refurbed Vacuum Connector:

Vacuum Plumbing:

Final Assembly:

Resurrected......

Coming from somebody in the mechanical engineering field, I just wanted to give you props for a well-engineered and executed linkage workaround.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Thank you, sir. It was a fun project. Glad it passes engineering approval.
    Thomas

I see a lot of R/C model airplane linkage parts in that solution.
    Way to go.....very nice
    1984 Mustang LX
    302, Holley 4bbl 600 vac sec
    B&M C4 R servo
    Shorty Headers
    MSD Box and Coil
    Scorpion Roller Rockers 1.6
    Crower Cam 472 112 seperation
    Chetah Shifter
    Performer RPM Intake
    Carter Electronic Fuel Pump
    Accel Eletronic Dizzy

Thanks. Yup, that's exactly what it is. Brass stock from the hardware store and Sullivan threaded rods and rod ends from the hobby shop.
    Thomas

Tailpipe installation project is complete. Made final alignment and clearance adjustments earlier this afternoon. Below is an in progress photo as proof I've actually done something. Haven't had a chance to take any glamour shots yet, will do so and post them here soon . Was a bit of work to (un)modify my existing mufflers and flow tubes from running the turndowns, but it all came together. Also had to drop panhard frame mount to get them in which was a bit of a pain to get lined up and bolted back in by myself. Definitely changed the sound, less raw and more throaty, but didn't quiet inside the car as much as I'd hoped. May look into some different mufflers eventually.

Last edited by 85MUSTANGTGT; 11-10-2022 at 11:35 PM.
    Thomas

FEP Supporter

Progress!
    '85 GT

Hey.....I know that car!!! LOL
    86 Capri 5.0/5spd: Too many mods to list
    93 5.0/5sp LX: Silver, 3,980 miles: now stored
    84 Thunderbird TurboCoupe: she's back!!
    84 Capri RS- T-top car built for my wife
    83 Thunderbird Heritage 5.0
    79 F100, new parts hauler and toy vehicle
    78 Bronco Custom: 2-wheel conversion project
    73 Mach1 -351C-5spd
    64 Galaxie 500 390 Z-code
    55 Ford Customline Sedan-long term project

About time you stopped in here!!!
    Thomas

yeah.....tell me about it!!!!
    73 Mach1 -351C-5spd

Thats a very nice-looking build you did, love those years of mustangs! I'm not too far down the road near Joplin.
    1986 ACS McLaren Capri
    1971 Mustang
    1968 F100

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

About time you stopped in here!!!
    X2, let's have a reunion

Thanks, York. You've got a pretty nice Capri there yourself!! Would love to see it in person someday. Maybe if we're ever in one another's neck of the woods we can meet up and say hello.

Bryan, silverfive0 and I met at the local cruise night a couple years ago and have been hanging out ever since. Its taken that slacker that long to get on here and comment on my thread!!!
    Thomas

Bryan, silverfive0 and I met at the local cruise night a couple years ago and have been hanging out ever since. Its taken that slacker that long to get on here and comment on my thread!!!
    haha that's great, I still think of that ultra-rare '93 he has, and how perfect it would be for a Daily Driver
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 12-15-2022 at 12:32 PM. Reason: added text

Think I've asked him to bring it to the cruise nights a few times, but it's yet to happen, nor have I yet seen it in person. Hopefully either will happen sometime in the future.
    Thomas

According to my Marti report, today is my cars 38th birthday. Just shy of 6 months behind my own.
    Thomas

Bryan......bite your tongue!!! A daily driver?? The thought of that now will keep me awake nights!!!!

Sadly, it's gotten to the point now I'd be so worried about even driving it to a local show that I doubt it'll ever be driven out in public....possibly trailered but not driven.

86GT......one of these days this summer when it's nice out, we can open up the bag and I'll show you the LX, or if I ever get the showroom done, you can see it there!!! LOL
    73 Mach1 -351C-5spd

Quote Originally Posted by silverfive0 View Post
    Bryan......bite your tongue!!! A daily driver?? The thought of that now will keep me awake nights!!!!
    hahaha! I wrote that to see if you were paying attention. An original Fox with under 4000 original miles deserves special care

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast