Close

Lightbulb 86TC bad voltage reg, short?

**Update**
    Changed fuel pump. Had a 1986 walbro in it. It started up first crank with the new one. Car runs really good. Nearly has all new components and a full tune up.
    Now the only problem is something is draining the battery after it sits for an hour. New battery, new alt both ok. New battery cables and a few other grounds replaced. First issue I noticed was the rear courtesy lights remained on while car is on or running. Pulled fuse 8 and 6. Went to pull 18 which is for oil warning/door open and low fuel buzzer. Now when I pulled it a buzzer went off and rang until I reinstalled the fuse? That seemed strange. Also when reinstalling fuse 8 it sparks a little bit. Could those points be my problem? Voltage regulator bad? It's my daily driver, single parent and I'm just disconnecting the neg cable when it sits for more that 20 min. Thanks for any advise.
    Last edited by cb1985; 04-23-2017 at 09:16 AM.

You could check for spark by removing the coil wire from the distributor and grounding it to a strut bolt. Then crank and see if u get spark. If it has spark and compression, you are most likely only missing fuel. On the self test connector, you can ground the far right terminal (key on) and this will operate the fuel pump relay and then you can check for voltage at the pump connector. Check out this image below to find the correct terminal to ground.
    https://goo.gl/images/ugBRYu
    If you have over 11 volts at the pump connector, I'd say the pump is bad and replacing it should fix your problem. Anything less and you have a wiring problem

Unless you know this dealer well, I would be cautious on excepting his diagnosis of the problem. They are in the business of selling cars and not having to repair one is a bonus.
    Good luck!