Close

Default Oil temperature sender drain plug adapter...?

Tonight in attempting to finalize my full VDO gauge installation, I came to the realization that I have no way of attaching my VDO oil temperature sender to the front drain plug of my Moroso 7 qt pain. The pan is threaded 1/2"-20 and the sender has 1/8-27 NPT. The provided adapters are only to adapt to larger NPT holes.

This is what I'm working with:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-20511

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vdo-323900

Basically, I wanted to keep my 2 gauge pillar pod. Oil temperature and vacuum gauges are what I chose for it, and I put all the other gauges in the cluster as they are oriented in the stock piece. I am not super concerned if this is an ideal spot for reading oil temperature.

What I am looking for is an adapter with 1/2"-20 male threads with a gasket and 1/8-27 NPT female threads. I have been searching unsuccessfully for a while now and all I can find are a bunch of adapters for metric oil plugs, or NPT. Does such a beast exist? Or am I going to have to make something myself?

Thanks,
    Cale
    Last edited by cb84capri; 04-11-2017 at 08:10 PM.

Do you have your car fitted with an oil cooler?

FEP Supporter

Good news! It exists!

http://www.yatego.com/mototools/p,56...-27-npt-female

Bad news... It's in Germany...
    '85 GT

Search for Brakequip part # BQ248, looks like what you need.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 83glxvert View Post
    Nice find!!!
    '85 GT

FEP Senior Member

Isn't that BrakeQuip part going the wrong way? Do you have a 1/2-20 plug now? It would be easy enough to drill and tap the center for the 1/8 NPT threads.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Do you have your car fitted with an oil cooler?
    No, not yet anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    Good news! It exists!

http://www.yatego.com/mototools/p,56...-27-npt-female

Bad news... It's in Germany...
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 83glxvert View Post
    Thanks! Exactly what I need. Unfortunately they have a $10 minimum for orders, so I have 4 coming now! If anyone needs one I'll be the guy to see.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    Isn't that BrakeQuip part going the wrong way? Do you have a 1/2-20 plug now? It would be easy enough to drill and tap the center for the 1/8 NPT threads.
    Why do you think it's going the wrong way? All I see as far as pics is this:

I haven't seen any mention of LH threads. Trying to tap bolts can be a crapshoot. I have had mixed results trying in the past.

Cale

FEP Senior Member

The pictures I was looking at made it look like the 1/2-20 threads were female and the NPT threads were male or it was ambiguous at best as to which was which. I found another link that does list the female threads as NPT and the male as 1/2-20.

I see. In my searches I kept having one pop up claiming it was for Moroso pans, then specified the male threads were 1/2 NPT... I think it was somewhere over in Europe as well.

I have no idea how you guys were able to find those fittings, I google searched every term I could think of to call these things and still kept coming up short.

Thanks again!

Cale

I got the Brakequip fittings, and the sender is mounted. I had to drill it out for the sender snout to pass through the threads. It works! It would be better if it was in the rear sump and the sender was in pan more, but it's serving its purpose. If anyone ever uses a VDO brand temperature sender, you want to get a pigtail for early GM style coolant temperature sender. Rock Auto didn't have them, found them on ebay, but I went to the u-pull yard and cut a couple off of some GM trucks.

Cale