Close

Default 80 turbo vacuum question (what is this?)

My '80 has a vacuum port on the manifold that I cannot figure out what attaches to it. It is located betwixt the EGR and carburetor. I noticed on '79 models it looked to be some sort of pressure relief. Is it the same on '80? Any help (and pictures) would be most appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mike Rausch

1979 Capri 2.3
    1980 Capri Turbo RS
    1980 Capri 2.3
    1980 Mustang 2.3

Was curious so i went out and looked.
    Mine (early 79) has a bolt there. Quick check with a wrench verified bolt is tight.
    Always been that way far as i recall.
    If it was as pictured, and i removed a vac hose there, would have used a rubber vac cap on it.
    Certainly would not have removed that barbed tap and stuck a bolt in.
    Unless it broke off, came loose or something in the 80's. I doubt that.
    Wondering if it is tapped for the bolt, but ain't messin' with it to find out.
    A hex pipe plug would look more appropriate there from the factory.

This weekend, will check this on a spare turbo manifold that is buried in the shed.

I did some more investigating. It seems that some early cars got a thermal valve in this place. It opens when the manifold temps reach a certain limit, thusly allowing extra air into the intake and raising the idle to help aid the cooling of the engine. As gr79 stated, some were simply plugged off. In my case it is a vacuum nipple which appears to be a connection for the thermactor (air pump) system. I have a item that looks like a fuel filter coming off of one of the control valves by the air pump and the hose is just long enough to reach that nipple. It is also the only correct size hose and bent in the correct direction, so it must go in this place. That said, does anyone have a vacuum diagram (color coded would be ideal) for the 1980 specific? It appears to differ from the '79 slightly. My '80 Chilton's manual diagram is not so great.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Mike Rausch

1979 Capri 2.3
    1980 Capri Turbo RS
    1980 Capri 2.3
    1980 Mustang 2.3

vacums are a pain in the A...
    have you thought about simplifying to basics?
    egr delete blocking the exhaust hole and manifold where the egr sits

i only run these vacums

on the manifold after carb blades:
    brake booster
    a/c vacum

on the carb:
    vacum advance distributor

on the manifold post turbo (runner sides):
    front one to waste gate with boost controler
    back one for: boost timming master msd, boost gage.

I deleted the rest, even the vacum selenoids and all, it has been runnning way better ever sinde no problems or hastles with 50ft vacum leaks.

FWIW here's a shot of mine. 1980 CA car, 4sp, with A/C.

Quote Originally Posted by MRausch82 View Post
    I did some more investigating. It seems that some early cars got a thermal valve in this place. It opens when the manifold temps reach a certain limit, thusly allowing extra air into the intake and raising the idle to help aid the cooling of the engine. As gr79 stated, some were simply plugged off. In my case it is a vacuum nipple which appears to be a connection for the thermactor (air pump) system. I have a item that looks like a fuel filter coming off of one of the control valves by the air pump and the hose is just long enough to reach that nipple. It is also the only correct size hose and bent in the correct direction, so it must go in this place. That said, does anyone have a vacuum diagram (color coded would be ideal) for the 1980 specific? It appears to differ from the '79 slightly. My '80 Chilton's manual diagram is not so great.
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0

1979 Cobra Turbo, care of TuxStang

Quote Originally Posted by TuxStang View Post
    Might help others ...

Red : 9A995 Air Cleaner TVS Valve (TVS) open 50F closes 60F
    Blue : 9E862 Air Cleaner Cold Weather Modulator (A/CL CWM) opens 55F closes 40F
    Green : 9E862 Air Cleaner Cold Weather Modulator (A/CL CWM) opens 76F closes 50F
    Full right : 9G328 Idle Vacuum Valve (IVV)

Green/White : 9E589 Thermal Vent Valve (TVV)
    Green : 9B963 Purge Control Valve (Purge CV)
    Black/White : couldn't find any reference on it
    and the Vac Delay Valve

Quote Originally Posted by TuxStang View Post
    Thanks.
    So there are 2 VDV on this engine ... one black/white (63.5s), one black/grey (10s).

Also have two small black/white of what I guess is just VCV (Vacuum Check Valve) as they're so small I can't read anything on them..

Now from what I have, should be able to identify a suiting vacuum diagram (unfortunately, calibration sticker is unreadable).

Another usefull link => http://myzephyrs.com/ (btw, it also hosts 79 to 83 copies of EVTM for Fairmont/Zephyr).