Close

Lightbulb Identify this engine

https://elpaso.craigslist.org/pts/6081245029.html

Guy says its from a 96 mustang but I'm assuming he meant explorer since ford came out with the 4.6 that year. Any chance anyone can identify this, it looks like a gt40 engine from the way the spark plugs sit, but I thought the 40s were supposed to have holes in the back of the head for smog? Does this look worthwhile to pick up?

1994-95 Mustang or 1991-93 Cougar/Thunderbird
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

It definitely has that 94-95 Mustang look to it but it's not quite right. The headers appear to be OEM Ford units but the 94-95 Mustangs had a bung welded on one of the passenger side exhaust header tubes that connected to the EGR valve on the upper intake. They had issues with the 87-93 design EGR clogging up so they made it external in 94. The bung is missing so that is not a 94-95 Mustang header and it also appears there is no EGR valve. The 94-95 Mustang also did have the smog tube that connected the back of the heads that is not present. It is really hard to tell in the picture but there may just be screw in plugs in those holes where the tube was and the EGR may just have a block off plate on it. If that is true, then those headers are off something else. It still appears to be a roller motor 5.0 HO. Get the numbers off of it and you can tell what it came out of for sure. That $300 is pretty cheap if it's decent.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

These are some images he's sent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

GT-40 heads
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Yeah i checked it out, gt40 heads. I'm also pretty sure the engine is off of a 95 cobra

VIN on the back on the block will tell you that. It will start with "SF" if it's from a 1995.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I was able to haggle him to 200, good buy none the less right?

If it spins freely with no funny signs on the plugs and oil, I'd say for sure yes. Guys here in Houston are asking 800 or so for stock 302 long blocks.

Should I be worried about that bent pulley?. Or would I just swap that off of my 82 5.0

Last edited by ironcore10; 04-12-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Which pulley? Bottom-left of the crank pulley? If so, I'd try to straighten it, as it's a nice small diameter "under-drive" crank pulley.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Doubt that is a Cobra engine. if it is/was, they went through a considerable amount of effort to make it NOT look like one. Which is not to say that has never happened before. The coolant hard lines are completely different and obviously so is the intake as that is a standard HO intake. It is also missing ALL the oil cooler plumbing. If you are talking about the bright pulley being bent (which I don't see in the picture) that isn't a underdrive pulley, it's a smog pump eliminator pulley. Also, I do not believe the valve covers are Cobra valve covers. They would have Cobra embossed in them and they may, but it doesn't look like they do in the picture.
    And lastly, if it checks out as a good 5.0 roller of ANY sort, $200 is a flat SMOKING deal. BUY IT!

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Doubt that is a Cobra engine. if it is/was, they went through a considerable amount of effort to make it NOT look like one. Which is not to say that has never happened before. The coolant hard lines are completely different and obviously so is the intake as that is a standard HO intake. It is also missing ALL the oil cooler plumbing. If you are talking about the bright pulley being bent (which I don't see in the picture) that isn't a underdrive pulley, it's a smog pump eliminator pulley. Also, I do not believe the valve covers are Cobra valve covers. They would have Cobra embossed in them and they may, but it doesn't look like they do in the picture.
    And lastly, if it checks out as a good 5.0 roller of ANY sort, $200 is a flat SMOKING deal. BUY IT!
    ... Bottom-left of the crank pulley? If so, I'd try to straighten it, as it's a nice small diameter "under-drive" crank pulley.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    ... Bottom-left of the crank pulley? If so, I'd try to straighten it, as it's a nice small diameter "under-drive" crank pulley.
    HaHa. Okay, let's get technical. As I said, I STILL don't see a bent pulley to LEFT or RIGHT, hence I said the BRIGHT pulley cause there is only one bright one. And the bright pulley is a smog pump eliminator kit, not an underdrive pulley. If one had the desire to gain power, they would eliminate that entire pulley and route around it, which is why nobody makes an underdrive pulley for the smog pump. If you are saying the crank pulley is bent (again, can't see the bend but I do believe you) that DOES look like an underdrive pulley albeit an extremely cheap and crusty steel one. Hopefully that is worded good enough. HaHa. If not, please let me know and I will make a third attempt at my wording.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

OP will have to help us out, lol! You're right, very hard to tell by the picture which he is talking about. The only thing I think I can see in the picture is the crankshaft's pulley, at about the 7-o'clock to 8-o'clock area, looks flat/straight, instead of round, as if it got dropped on it's nose and bent it...
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

I see it too...as stated above at the 7-8 o'clock position on the crank pulley between the bottom 2 attaching pulley bolts. If it is just the sidewall that is bent it may can be salvaged, but if it was hit hard enough to bend the ribbed radius it is toast...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride