Close

Default 86 Under dash components

I bought a heater control panel from a guy on craigslist and he had half the dash literally cut in half. I got the right side of the dash with the cluster section cut out.

I dismantled it to get the heater control out and when I flipped the thing over I saw these items mounted under the top of the dash.

I recognize the flasher (lousy place for it) and what appears to be a relay. I'm not sure what the relay is for but its not part of the rear defrost set up. The relay is part of the wiring harness, the defrost has wiring independent of the main harness.

Can anyone tell me what the relay is for and what the other 2 things are under the dash?

Attachment 111064

Attachment 111065

clockwise from top left:

dark cylinder = hazard flasher
    white box = dual warning buzzer
    green square = horn relay
    black box = low fuel warning module
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    clockwise from top left:

dark cylinder = hazard flasher
    white box = dual warning buzzer
    green square = horn relay
    black box = low fuel warning module
    Thanks very much.

I guess I'll pull all those off and keep them for spare parts. One day I may need one.

I am still confused with the rear defrost set up. I have been told I need a relay/timer but I only see a part listed for 87-92. No listing at all for 83-86. And this dash had the harness intact and theres no relay in the rear defroster wiring.

Does the rear defrost switch also act as the timer?

The one you really want is the low fuel warning. The rest you can get easily. I even got a duel chime from a lincoln town car for a better sound warning buzzer.